• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    you are not obligated to SHOW a ltch anywhere.

You can be arrested until you prove you are licensed. So no, you're not obligated to show your LTCH, but it certainly is the easiest way to prove you are licensed.

This only applies to public property and private property where you do not have the owners consent to carry, of course.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    What would I do?

"Excuse me, we got a call about a MWAG."

"Officer, I haven't seen anybody by that description around here."

"Oh, okay, well, have a nice day."

:D

brian.derby

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    agreed respect given is respect earned in my opinion the second you start making yourself a fool.

So with all that, legally this would fall under search and seizure laws so no you would not legally be obligated to show ID or LTCH, however, now the officer can make life very difficult for you as you will more than likely be detained while an investigation of immediate facts is conducted, taking quite a chunk of time out of your life. So all I would say is ask yourself be polite and done in a few seconds, or be a jerk, and end up quite probably in cuffs while you are detained while the incident is investigated. Just saying.....

Now a personal junket.... I ran down a DUI suspect and held him until LE showed up. Once the suspect was cuffed by the officer, I offered my ID and LTCH, (I was OC at the time,) to which the officer noted my info for his report and with a smile said he would not mention I was armed in his report, thanked me for a job well done in the detention, and sent me on my way... politeness goes a long way.

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Now a personal junket.... I ran down a DUI suspect and held him until LE showed up. Once the suspect was cuffed by the officer, I offered my ID and LTCH, (I was OC at the time,) to which the officer noted my info for his report and with a smile said he would not mention I was armed in his report, thanked me for a job well done in the detention, and sent me on my way... politeness goes a long way.

Why would he need to put that you were armed in the report? Seems irrelevant unless your firearm was removed from its holster.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    All depends on how the officer presents himself to me initially. Around here that scenario is not likely to happen because all the officers and dispatchers know all the residents and have a pretty good idea who carries and not and would probably inform the caller immediately. Even so, I would comply with an officers wishes if nothing more than to satisfy his ego. Next time he might remember my compliance and set a caller straight about the legality of carrying in IN or maybe he might remember me with warning instead of a fine if I ever get stopped for a traffic violation. ;)

brian.derby

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Why would he need to put that you were armed in the report? Seems irrelevant unless your firearm was removed from its holster.
    My point being here, is that I believe that my being up front with my info to the officer made for a more friendly interaction. Whether or not my weapon had left the holster.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    now the officer can make life very difficult for you as you will more than likely be detained while an investigation of immediate facts is conducted, taking quite a chunk of time out of your life.

Only if the officer wants to explain to the courts why he was detaining you with no RAS or PC. Police simply cannot legally walk up to law abiding people in private homes and demand ID.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Trust me, it makes a difference. A defense atty could get lots of mileage out of an armed person making a citizen's arrest in that instance. "my client ran away because joe citizen threatened him with a gun," "joe citizen illegally detained my client, how could he know my client was legally intoxicated, what training does he have?" etc etc etc, if you can leave that info out, leave it out.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Only if the officer wants to explain to the courts why he was detaining you with no RAS or PC. Police simply cannot legally walk up to law abiding people in private homes and demand ID.

You need to listen to a MWAG call sometime. It's never, this guy has a gun, and that's all. Dispatchers ask follow up questions "well, what is he doing?"
    The typical response:

He's appears to be casing houses
    He looks like he's about to rob the place
    He seems very upset and agitated

I have never been to a MWAG a gun call where it was simply, "this person has a gun, but is doing absolutely nothing except shopping/eating/talking to a friend." People construct their own ideas.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    You need to listen to a MWAG call sometime. It's never, this guy has a gun, and that's all. Dispatchers ask follow up questions "well, what is he doing?"
    The typical response:

I have never been to a MWAG a gun call where it was simply, "this person has a gun, but is doing absolutely nothing except shopping/eating/talking to a friend." People construct their own ideas.
    I'd like to hear more of the caller reasons... Seems ... Funny.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    The typical response:

I listened to my own MWAG call from the Zoo. It was quite literally, "There is a man here with a holstered gun, can he do that?"

The dispatcher immediately said, "If you want him to leave the property that is your perrogative, what gate can you meet the officers at?"

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    When I was an eighteen-year old police cadet my late father, a veteran sergeant in our department, knowing that I'd be suffering a bit from John Wayne Syndrome as all young cops do, taught me to always approach citizens with respect because it cost me nothing and would get results. "You can always get tough if the situation calls for it. You accomplish nothing if you come on strong and alienate people from the jump," he said.

A LEO who walks up to a person on his own property and gets in his face from the start (excepting of course obvious cases such as the guy is actually still *****-slapping his wife in the yard when the officer arrives) needs retraining.

If that doesn't work he needs a new profession.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    Trust me, it makes a difference. A defense atty could get lots of mileage out of an armed person making a citizen's arrest in that instance. "my client ran away because joe citizen threatened him with a gun," "joe citizen illegally detained my client, how could he know my client was legally intoxicated, what training does he have?" etc etc etc, if you can leave that info out, leave it out.

Seems like the best response would be to call in the plate number and vehicle description. Not, run the guy down and hold him for police, while armed.

IamLegend

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    All the way Southern Indiana

Sounds like lieing to me. I would have told the cop he could lie if he wanted to but if im askedI will tell the truth.

IamLegend

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    All the way Southern Indiana
    Gonna show my ignorance here. I thought it was legal to iopen carry without a permit. I thought the permit was only for ccw. In other words, as long as your legaly allowed to own the gun you can oc without a permit. Is that incorrect?

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Gonna show my ignorance here. I thought it was legal to iopen carry without a permit. I thought the permit was only for ccw. In other words, as long as your legaly allowed to own the gun you can oc without a permit. Is that incorrect?

Carry loaded in ANY method = License To Carry Handgun.
    There is no "open" or "concealed"... CARRY=LTCH.

shadohman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2012
    Fort Wayne

It is illegal to carry a hand gun without a license in Indiana. You can transport the gun unloaded in a case out of reach in your vehicle, but if it is loaded you need the LTCH.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom