• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    I posted recently about getting started in reloading, and got lots of helpful replies (thanks!). Now I have run into my first big problem!

I have some .223 brass that I want to use to start learning the basics. But I couldn't seat primers in them. After a little investigation, I realized there was a crimp on the primer pocket. So I ended up getting an RCBS Primer Pocket Swaging tool for my press. And now I appear to have broken it while putting it together. But I don't know what I could have done differently.

The instructions say you have to thread the swaging rod into the die body "until the groove on the rod lines up with the bottom of the die". They don't tell you what "lines up" means (the groove is 1/8" wide so there's quite a few turns between having the groove start at the bottom of the die vs ending at the bottom). Anyway, I put it roughly there and tried to install the locking nut, which you are told goes tapered side down. The threads are very tight, but since it's supposed to lock the rod in place, I thought that was ok. The only way I could see to tighten it was to counter hold the rod it with a screwdriver in the slot, and tighten the nut with a wrench. But as soon as I started to turn the nut, the rod started to disintegrate. Bits of metal started flying into my face. The metal is obviously extremely brittle.

20221218_105507.jpg

The screwdriver was a pretty good fit and I didn't use much force. It literally just started to fall apart. What did I do wrong? And how the hell are you supposed to set this up?

20221218_105538.jpg

I don't think I cross threaded it - it looks like it's on dead straight in the pic.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    The lock nut should turn freely on the rod until it makes contact with the top of the die body. If you had to use a wrench on it, it was either cross threaded or the threads were buggered up to begin with. If the rod isn't totally trashed, take it to a hardware store and get a new nut with the same thread and try installing it with a drop of lubricating oil on the threads.

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    The lock nut should turn freely on the rod until it makes contact with the top of the die body. If you had to use a wrench on it, it was either cross threaded or the threads were buggered up to begin with. If the rod isn't totally trashed, take it to a hardware store and get a new nut with the same thread and try installing it with a drop of lubricating oil on the threads.

I managed to get the lock nut off, at the cost of almost completely destroying the screwdriver slot. It definitely wasn't cross threaded. I tried running a rethreading die onto the rod but it gets stuck, same as the nut.

The funny thing is, the rod threads into the die body just fine, and the nut threads onto the other rod just fine. But they won't work together.

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    JMO-I've always used a Primer Pocket Reaming tool to remove the pocket Crimp, especially for Military Brass.
    Yes, it's probably more Labor intensive than the Die & you can't be Too Physical with them.
    These are available for Large & Small pockets-bout $15ea on Amazon.
    You might contact RCBS & see if they'll refund you on what appears to be a Defective Die.
    1671457359623.png

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

Get this you'll love it. If you prep thousands or even hundreds of brass this makes easy work of it. Definitely more expensive, but well worth it. It can do small or large primer pockets.

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana

Get this you'll love it. If you prep thousands or even hundreds of brass this makes easy work of it. Definitely more expensive, but well worth it. It can do small or large primer pockets.

Yeah I'm really beginning to regret buying RCBS anything now. The press is starting to get stuck after just a handful of operations. Their instructions are generally junk and I have to look up third party info online to find out how to use anything. I just spend half an hour waiting on the phone and they're not answering. The scale that came with the kit is also useless.

Reviews said their stuff was good but I wish I had been more careful. I still haven't managed to load a single round and nearly half the equipment is now broken or not reliable!

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County

Knowing what I know now, buying the Dillon tool would have been a better decision. The RCBS tool works but can be a PITA at times. I don't do many crimped 223 cases. Then again, maybe that's because I have a crappy tool.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    Yeah I'm really beginning to regret buying RCBS anything now. The press is starting to get stuck after just a handful of operations. Their instructions are generally junk and I have to look up third party info online to find out how to use anything. I just spend half an hour waiting on the phone and they're not answering. The scale that came with the kit is also useless.

Reviews said their stuff was good but I wish I had been more careful. I still haven't managed to load a single round and nearly half the equipment is now broken or not reliable!
    RCBS was a solid name back in the 90's when I started. I still have a few of their tools from way back and they still do the job. The primer pocket swager is a more recent purchase. But, they have probably gone the way of many manufacturers in recent times.

FWIW, Lee makes pretty good stuff for the price. If you find yourself needing to go another direction, check them out.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    JMO-I've always used a Primer Pocket Reaming tool to remove the pocket Crimp, especially for Military Brass.
    Yes, it's probably more Labor intensive than the Die & you can't be Too Physical with them.
    These are available for Large & Small pockets-bout $15ea on Amazon.
    You might contact RCBS & see if they'll refund you on what appears to be a Defective Die.
    View attachment 243151
    I ended up unscrewing the tip and chucking it up in my drill.

Greffy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2019
    Los Angeles County
    On the older ('04) RCBS swage kit that I have, the treading on the rod is 1/4-28. I wonder if somehow injb got the wrong nut on that spindle. Ordinary flat sided nuts is what BCBS uses anymore, though sometimes in obscure-ish thread sizes like 12-28.
    try a 1/4-28 nut on the spindle threads and see how that goes.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    On the older ('04) RCBS swage kit that I have, the treading on the rod is 1/4-28. I wonder if somehow injb got the wrong nut on that spindle. Ordinary flat sided nuts is what BCBS uses anymore, though sometimes in obscure-ish thread sizes like 12-28.
    try a 1/4-28 nut on the spindle threads and see how that goes.
    I got mine just last year and it has the conical nut on it. Maybe they have changed it recently.

Top Bottom