• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trackersranch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2014
    Greenwood
    First, I want everyone to know I am a newbie (to the site and gunsmithing). I also want to thank everyone in advance for your assistance.
    Here is my issue. I have been machining three AR 80% lowers. As I got each to a point, I tried assembling the trigger group to make sure I was on the right track. My first two trigger groups will not allow the hammer to release. The pins go in and the assemblies mount up correctly, but darn if they just won’t function. I have tried to mill out the pockets to the right depths.
    A little history, I am starting with 80% to learn as much as I can as I wade in deeper on machining. I know I don’t know enough to understand my problem, which is why I hope someone out there on the forum can steer me in the right direction.
    Thanks again for your patience and understanding.:bowdown:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    You need to add your location. If you are anywhere near South Bend I'd be more then happy to help. I have machine a 80%. Who's lower/jig?

Are you testing the trigger with the safety selector installed? Try testing without it. It if functions then you might have the trigger pocket machined slightly to the side? Pics and more info needed. Glad to help if I can.

mike45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    east central
    I have made many 80s . I would look at the trigger slot. The trigger moves fore and aft in the slot, it needs about .040" clearance.

trackersranch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2014
    Greenwood
    Mike45 you are dead on. I just looked at the slot. It needs some help.
    1911ly- The jig is from Ares Armor. The operator needs to slow down, but I would enjoy some help. I travel up in your area all the time, so will make an appointment:)

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Mike45 you are dead on. I just looked at the slot. It needs some help.
    1911ly- The jig is from Ares Armor. The operator needs to slow down, but I would enjoy some help. I travel up in your area all the time, so will make an appointment:)

NP, Just give me a head up when your coming. you'll have to ignore the messy garage though. But I can fine the tools :-)

trackersranch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2014
    Greenwood
    INGO I want to thank everyone for your help. Before going to the reserves this weekend, I was able to mill out the tirgger slot and take a little more off the floor of the trigger area. The trigger works great. Yeee Haaaaaaa.

Top Bottom