• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    Any body reload 38/55 for use in a uberti high wall .Barrel slugs .381 groove. i have some starline brass with thinner neck walls . Need a supplier of .381or .382 bullets and how to size necks to accept a .381 bullet?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I think 38-55 comes in two different case lengths if I'm not mistaken. No idea which one the Uberti is chambered for. Accurate mold can probably set you up with what you need, they did a good job for me with oversize 50-95.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Google 38-55 cast bullets and you will find loads of suppliers. Take your pick on what type of shooting you are going to do with that rifle.
    Are you going to load black or smokeless?
    I shoot Browning Highwalls and large bore levers mostly with black and sometimes smokeless, I cast. You will find unless you buy bullets from a company that tens to cater to the BPCR crowd you will not find reliable weight and accurate bullets unless you cast your own or find another BPCR shooter that will cast for you.
    I have a few Lyman and Saeco molds but I tend to use molds I ordered from Steve Brooks out of Montana. He is also a top BPCR shooter, you tell him what rifle you have and a few measurements and he will take excellent care of you if you decide to learn to cast high quality bullets. Hes one of those guys that will save you bunches of time.....
    The wheel is already done, long ago with 38-55. Dont get trapped trying to change the wheel...
    Read on the BPCR sites and cast forums.

This is how I load bullets into cases that works well for me,
    I debur the inside of the case with a Lyman VDL reamer and I use a Meacham seater die.

http://www.meachamrifles.com/Easy-Seater.html

View attachment 82241

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I think 38-55 comes in two different case lengths if I'm not mistaken. No idea which one the Uberti is chambered for. Accurate mold can probably set you up with what you need, they did a good job for me with oversize 50-95.

50-95? Why not use lead wire and a good pair of side cutters? or a 100 grain 38wc and smack it with a plastic no bounce hammer.....

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    My Uberti 1876 was oversize which I understand is a common issue. The oversize Accurate 365 grain mold works great.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville

Really good catch,
    I have some long Starline that is 2.125
    I haven't used any of it yet, I still have a bunch from when Win was building commemorative levers. BPCR steel with it, I would work up a new load with the longer brass.
    When someone runs out of production brass, I try to be a buyer.

Top Bottom