• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jpr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    This belongs to a coworker of mine. It is stamped Winchester Model 02-22. I have done a little research and found that it is actually a model 1902 and I think in 1919 the changed it to the 02-22. But I can not find anything on the threaded barrel. This also also has a metal butt plate which from what I can find would preclude the model change to the 02-22. If anyone can shed any light on this we would appreciate it. 02-22 rifle.jpg

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Now I'm not expert on old winchesters. But this appears to me to be an "old ass rifle"

Others here will correct me if I'm wrong tho.
    I think that's right.

I would place the date of manufacture as a couple years prior to the early production of dirt. Yes, it is older than dirt.

However, I also believe INGO will deliver a healthy amount of proper information on that rifle. :)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Winchester M1902 replaced their M1900. More than 500+K were made, 1902-1930. Gum wood stocks were rocking when new but these guns all (99%) saw hard use. Mine still works. Simple mechanism that is overbuilt. Will likely be used during the Cockroach/Giant Rat war that will follow the End of Man.

I BELIEVE that you have a M1904, jpr.

My Maternal grandfather's rifle, purchased with egg money at age 11 in the Big City (Danville, Illinois) before he moved East in a covered wagon back to Sullivan County.

1616701617645.png

Last edited:

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    Winchester M1902 replaced their M1900. More than 500+K were made, 1902-1930. Gum wood stocks were rocking when new but these guns all (99%) saw hard use. Mine still works. Simple mechanism that is overbuilt. Will likely be used during the Cockroach/Giant Rat war that will follow the End of Man.

My Maternal grandfather's rifle, purchased with egg money at age 11 in the Big City (Danville, Illinois) before he moved East in a covered wagon back to Sullivan County.

View attachment 132429
    That's a purdy looking specimen.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    @jpr is the steel butt plate smooth, is the bolt handle straight or curved and does the rear sight have an elevator or atleast slotted for an elevator?

From what I see I agree with Kirk that this is probably a 1904 due to the schnabel forend on the stock, although a lot of parts could have been interchanged with other rifles throughout the years.

I would guess the barrel threading was done later, not from the factory.

jpr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    @jpr is the steel butt plate smooth, is the bolt handle straight or curved and does the rear sight have an elevator or atleast slotted for an elevator?

From what I see I agree with Kirk that this is probably a 1904 due to the schnabel forend on the stock, although a lot of parts could have been interchanged with other rifles throughout the years.

I would guess the barrel threading was done later, not from the factory.
    It is very possibly that parts were interchanged. The barrel is marked MOD 02-22 SHORT LONG EXTRA LONG. The butt plate is smooth and the bolt handle straight. The gun isn't here anymore. It went to my friends uncle.

Top Bottom