• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Benjamin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    I plan to purchase a rangefinder but I have very limited experience with them. There is a very wide price range ($120-$700 or more). My main requirement is to be able to determine horizontal distance for targets or game in the 200-800 meter range. My research into max ranging capability for a particular unit is complicated by reflective versus non reflective targets. People seem to disagree on what a reflective target is or how reflective a target is. Many claim a rangefinder advertised to range 1000 meters is actually capable of far less because the maximum ranging capability is under ideal conditions, which rarely occur during normal use. I need to be able to range to 800 meters no matter what the target is.

Requirements:
    --Range reflective and non reflective targets from 200-800 meters.
    --Horizontal distance reading

Should I go midrange?
    --Athlon, Vortex, Nikon, Sig, Leupold

Or high end?
    --Leica, Leupold, Sig

What models do you guys have? Any features you really like, or would like to have if you bought again?

Onwards,
    Ben

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I have a low end one. Used for hunting, and although it can read much further than 100-200yd after 200yd the glass isn’t good enough and it is so blurry you could barely tell what you’re ranging.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Whatever the listed range is on the unit, assume that you’ll be able to range people/critters/targets to half that range.

If you need 800 meters, go for a 1600+ unit.

Most of those you listed should be pretty good so long as you don’t get their “budget” models. I run an older bushnell 1600, and it has been great. It’s a little bulky compared to modern offerings, and I would look at spending $300 if I were to go shopping, and at least $200 if I were pinching pennies.

Just my .02

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Sample size of one here, but I've been quite happy with my Athlon Midas. Has worked very well on the longer ranges at Bass & Bucks, as well as for wildlife spotting and some general trail/hiking measurements. 6x zoom, easy to figure out and use, feels pretty sturdy and well built, and the measurements are super fast.

DolomiteDave

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2022
    Carmel
    Ive used the terrapin X a friend of mine has in loads of weather conditions. At the end of the day, you could get a LRF that costs the price of a house and is the size of your microwave.... and serious early morning fog would still defeat it. Get the best one you can afford honestly. I would try to get kestrel compatible ones for BA software, and just pick the one in that product range with the most distance advertised, as long as its within your budget.

Hawkj

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2022
    Westpoint, IN
    I have a Leupold 1400 tbr. It is compact and has a scan mode by holding the button you can make it read continuously. Or you can just click on an object and it is reads instant.

Top Bottom