• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Adamska

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2009
    Michigan City
    I don't know if this is in the right section or not I'm sorry if its not in the right section. down below is a video showing some ammo (Shot gun shells 16GA) Don't have a still pic camera sorry. I do but I don't know where the data cord is for it seeing its not mine. I don't want to risk damage to someone or myself or my scattergun but hate to see ammo go lol... :dunno:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgvxLC1U7ZA[/ame]

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    Personally I wouldnt risk it when it comes to ammo. I found a dented 357 mag cartridge in my speed loader now its setting on the bench waiting to be pulled and resized. :twocents:

Eric86

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Princeton, Indiana
    I doubt they are any worse than these.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTxnvXZDKz0[/ame]

Most likely it is just surface corrosion as long as they werent stored under water. You could take a little steel wool to the outer area but I wouldnt go around the primer area.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    They're fine. Grow a pair and go shoot your gun.

You could be right. But then again, what if you are wrong?

Honestly, the worst thing that is likely to happen is that the primer or powder fails to ignite. But, not being a chemist or expert, I cannot answer with 100% certainty that they are safe to shoot.

If it were me, and I had any doubts about ammo, I would toss it. Playing it safe is the surest way to not have any issues. :twocents:

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    You could be right. But then again, what if you are wrong?

Honestly, the worst thing that is likely to happen is that the primer or powder fails to ignite. But, not being a chemist or expert, I cannot answer with 100% certainty that they are safe to shoot.

If it were me, and I had any doubts about ammo, I would toss it. Playing it safe is the surest way to not have any issues. :twocents:
    Seriously? There is a bit of tarnish on the exterior of the brass, how on earth could that effect the chemistry of anything other than the oxidized brass? A shell sitting on a table through the summer will do this just from the humidity in the air. If it makes you feel better, take some never-dull to the brass first.

ETA: The little dent in the top one would possibly concern me about cycling but so what.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Hey, I have a 16, send them to me. Seriously a little corrosion on the brass is no issue at all. The primer and powder are very stable, but copper and brass are a little reactive. It doesn't do any harm, though. They'll go bang fine. Is this guy afraid that some green on the brass will make them super extra explosive?

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Seriously? There is a bit of tarnish on the exterior of the brass, how on earth could that effect the chemistry of anything other than the oxidized brass? A shell sitting on a table through the summer will do this just from the humidity in the air. If it makes you feel better, take some never-dull to the brass first.

ETA: The little dent in the top one would possibly concern me about cycling but so what.

Like I said, I am far from an expert, and I made no assumptions as to the reason the brass was corroded. I once had a bucket of brass that was sitting under my reloading bench, never thought too much about it being without a lid, until I went to load a box from that brass. My wifes cat peed in the bucket, and ruined a good bit of it.

If the shells were simply surface rusted a bit due to humidity, then sure, go ahead and shoot them, I have had the same happen to shells that get carried in my pocket though a full rabbit season. If the shells were exposed to some other unidentified reason for the corrosion, its anyones guess what could happen.

If someone wants to play roulette with explosives set off in close proximity to their hands, face, and other important parts, whoa be it for be to discourage them, but for me, my health and well being is more important than a handful of shells that can be replaced for a few dollars.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Like I said, I am far from an expert, and I made no assumptions as to the reason the brass was corroded. I once had a bucket of brass that was sitting under my reloading bench, never thought too much about it being without a lid, until I went to load a box from that brass. My wifes cat peed in the bucket, and ruined a good bit of it.

If the shells were simply surface rusted a bit due to humidity, then sure, go ahead and shoot them, I have had the same happen to shells that get carried in my pocket though a full rabbit season. If the shells were exposed to some other unidentified reason for the corrosion, its anyones guess what could happen.

If someone wants to play roulette with explosives set off in close proximity to their hands, face, and other important parts, whoa be it for be to discourage them, but for me, my health and well being is more important than a handful of shells that can be replaced for a few dollars.
    Okay, I get it. You're worried about osmosis or something. What do you suppose would penetrate that brass without making holes in it? Or is it the plastic that may have let something through?

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Okay, I get it. You're worried about osmosis or something. What do you suppose would penetrate that brass without making holes in it? Or is it the plastic that may have let something through?

The primer isnt homogeneous to the base, and the crimp is not 100% sealed. As far as these particular shells, they are likely safe, but I do not know that for certain.

The point I am trying to make is that if there is a doubt as to the safety of ammunition (or anything for that matter), the safest thing to do is pass on it, and not worry about it. A full box of shotgun shells costs a few dollars compared to the price of a ruined shotgun, or worse. No sense taking a risk and ending up on the 6 oclock news with a gun related accident.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    The primer isnt homogeneous to the base, and the crimp is not 100% sealed. As far as these particular shells, they are likely safe, but I do not know that for certain.

The point I am trying to make is that if there is a doubt as to the safety of ammunition (or anything for that matter), the safest thing to do is pass on it, and not worry about it. A full box of shotgun shells costs a few dollars compared to the price of a ruined shotgun, or worse. No sense taking a risk and ending up on the 6 oclock news with a gun related accident.
    Understood, your concern is duly noted. Life must be pretty boring being afraid to take ANY chances on things you aren't 100% certain of, even after others tell you they are certain.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Old shells are never going to have any more power than when they were new. If the gun is in good enough gondition to safely fire new ones, it will certainly fire old ones. Some times if the lead shot is badly corroded, it will not pattern well so don't trust nasty ones for shooting at food if you have not eaten for three days or trust them for the last shot of a championship clays competition.

My buddy worked in a junk yard and gave me all the shells he found rolling around in old cars. Some were too swollen to even fit the gun and I cut them apart for scrap lead. Most of the plastic ones I just rubbed the green corrosion off and shot them. If something sounds weird, be sure to check the barrel for obstructions before firing the next shot

El Guero

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2011
    Nw Indiana
    Use them, they are fine, i have shot some more damaged and they just puff.
    Shot shells are more tolerant than metalic and u will be fine.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    The problem I have with corroded or green spots on the brass is that corrosion doesn't usually just grow on the surface of the brass. Pitting and weakening of the cartridge case could cause a failure depending on the caliber.

Top Bottom