• ...and so much more!
  • mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    ETA this quote from my last post.

Just wanted to follow up and say "Thank you" to all those who helped me find information and gave me contacts for this. I don't have enough rep to hand out to everybody in here, but I really appreciate all the feedback you provided!

I leave Fort Wayne on Friday, and I've been able to make arrangements to store my car while I'm gone. So again, thank you all.

Original Post Follows

Hey everybody,

I am attending the USMC Officer Candidate Course #209 starting in a couple weeks on 22 January (leave Fort Wayne on 20th, spend 21st in Indy, fly out on 22nd) and goes until the end of March.

I'd like to find a place where I can store my car where it won't be left out in the weather. I already have a place to store it outside, but I'm hoping to find something protected.

If you have a garage with an empty space, or a pole barn, or something, or if you know somebody who does, and might be willing to help out, I'd really appreciate it!

Additional info:
    It's a PT Cruiser, so it is not a large vehicle.
    It will have storage-only insurance on it.
    In or somewhat near Fort Wayne would be preferred.
    Willing to pay.

Feel free to post a reply below or send me a PM if you have any leads!

Thanks!

:patriot:

b724b19c98e769a2ac802be4e0bff516.png

PS — No, I don't need a place to store my guns. That's already been addressed. :cool:

Last edited:

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Why dont you rent a storage unit and put it in there?

That idea has come up. I'm not sure I'd want to do that on account of there not being anybody "around the house" every day. It also isn't the cheapest, and I'm trying to see if anybody has some empty space they could loan me for 10 weeks.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    OCS at Quantico. Been there, done that. It's gonna SUCK from January to March. You couldn't get a better time slot during nicer weather?

By the way, if/when you get to TBS, it's called The Big Suck for good reason too. IOC stands for It Only Continues.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    OCS at Quantico. Been there, done that. It's gonna SUCK from January to March. You couldn't get a better time slot during nicer weather?

By the way, if/when you get to TBS, it's called The Big Suck for good reason too. IOC stands for It Only Continues.

I'm fortunate I got in this time! I almost wasn't selected, and they aren't taking any males for 2012 courses. I'd already been passed over for the class that just graduated, so I really had to make this one.

Whatever it takes to get through will be worth it — I'm on my way to flight school!

PS — you got any pro tips for this candidate?

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    My brother did OCS in January.

His tips: Eat as much as you possibly can. Salt the ever living **** out of the food you eat. Drink as much water as you possibly can. Sleep is over-rated. Pay attention, always push, never quit, and be PATIENT.

You get scored on your leadership, academics, and physical fitness. All three are very important, but leadership is the MOST important. Leading means you get people to follow you, because they WANT to not because they have to. A good leader will use all of his charges to make them better than they would be alone as well. This is where the patience comes in.

My brother said there was more than one prior enlisted man wash out, because he got so pissed at the new candidates for not knowing what they were supposed to be doing, or not getting the job done.

Try to make as few mistakes as possible. Even if it slows you down a bit. To avoid additional homework, address everyone by their correct rank and title, and refer to everything by the proper name. My brother knows more about chem-lights than most living men, because he called it a "glow-stick" one time.

As long as you want it more than anything else, and you let is show, you'll do just fine.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    My brother did OCS in January.

His tips: Eat as much as you possibly can. Salt the ever living **** out of the food you eat. Drink as much water as you possibly can. Sleep is over-rated. Pay attention, always push, never quit, and be PATIENT.

You get scored on your leadership, academics, and physical fitness. All three are very important, but leadership is the MOST important. Leading means you get people to follow you, because they WANT to not because they have to. A good leader will use all of his charges to make them better than they would be alone as well. This is where the patience comes in.

My brother said there was more than one prior enlisted man wash out, because he got so pissed at the new candidates for not knowing what they were supposed to be doing, or not getting the job done.

Try to make as few mistakes as possible. Even if it slows you down a bit. To avoid additional homework, address everyone by their correct rank and title, and refer to everything by the proper name. My brother knows more about chem-lights than most living men, because he called it a "glow-stick" one time.

As long as you want it more than anything else, and you let is show, you'll do just fine.

Thanks for the advice!

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    "PS — you got any pro tips for this candidate?"

Sure. Remember, the purpose of OCS is to screen and evaluate. You will be tested and your responses to these tests are what matter, not whether you complete them successfully or at all.

NEVER quit.....ANYTHING! Even if you come in dead last, always finish the task at hand.

Don't EVER try to bull your way thru anything. If you don't know something, say so....but that you will find out.

Don't act like you know everything and that your way is the right way. You will be expected to learn the right way and do it the Marine way.

Don't fall asleep unless it's lights out.

Don't ever drop out as a heat casualty. Twice and you are out of the program, period. Besides, kneeling on your hands and knees in a baby pool of ice water with a thermostat hanging out of your poop shute ISN'T how you want to be seen by your platoon.

PROTECT YOUR EYES AT ALL COST! Those puppies are the only thing guarenteeing you a seat at flight school. Any accident you have that keeps you from passing an eye test or flight physical means that once you get to TBS, you are competing with everyone else for your Primary MOS.

Pilots and Lawyers are the only ones with guarenteed MOS's. Everyone else gets to pick 3 choices while at TBS and they are given out based on the needs of the Marine Corps and your class rank at TBS. They also do what's called a "quality spread". They divide the class into the top third, the middle third, and the bottom third. If they need 3 tank officers, they take one from the top, one from the middle and one from the bottom. The number one guy in the Company is the only one that gets his choice. Pilots and Lawyers don't even bother to put in choices because they have contracts. Everyone else gets what comes around.

Being #1 isn't always the best place to be. The #1 guy in my Company picked Infantry and was dead within a year due to a helo crash in Okinawa.

The best advice I ever got from anyone......."If you aren't having a blast, you are in the wrong MOS."

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Hey, how about letting me drive it while you, are gone ????? Will you have time to go to a range, on the 21st, B4 you leave ?????

I have considered letting somebody drive it. If you're serious about being in need of a vehicle, we can talk about it.

Unfortunately, I won't have time on the 21st to hit the range. On that day, I have to run a PFT at 0730, then we're going to the Navy and Marine Corps Reserve Center in Indy to do some rifle and drill training, then I spend the night in a hotel with the other candidates who are shipping with me.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    I work for U-Stor. I know you are attempting to save $$..... however, if it is only for 10 weeks or so, it won't run that much.

Below, is a link to the Tillman (street/area?) U-Stor facility. It is not owned by my employer.... but still, I can tell you about some benefits.

1. At all U-Stors in Indiana.... the managers live in an apartment, on-site.

2. All units, are individually ALARMED. You get a 'code' to enter at the properties' entry gate. When you put in the code on the keypad at the gate.... it 'unsets' the alarm. When you enter the code upon leaving (at the exit gate).. it re-sets your unit's alarm. The alarms are connected to a very loud siren, that is mounted on the back of the mgr's apartment... and will let them know, any time a unit is opened w/o the proper code for that unit. It also comes up on a 24/7 monitor called an "event viewer", on the computer in the office there.

3. There are digital cameras at the office, entry, and exit.. as well as at "undisclosed" locations on the property. No one gets in/out without being on a DVR tape.

4. Leases are month-to-month... and so, you will only have to pay for the length of time you need the storage unit. No 6-month or 12-month contract to sign. Paying customers have free 24-hour access to their unit. :yesway:

5. Most U-Stor facilities have a 'refer-a-friend' brochure displayed and available at local retail locations.... like gas station/convenient marts, and at many of the apartment complexes in your area. That brochure, will usually give you 1/2 off your first full month's rent. Ours here, even pay the referring individual, a $20 check. If those in Ft Wayne use the same policy... just have your Mom/Dad/a friend fill it in and take it w/ you.

http://www.u-stor.com/Indiana/FortWayne/U-StorTillman.html

Hope this helps... if you can't find anything better. -Lee

Last edited:

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Honestly if I had somewhere to put it, Id gladly do it for free because of your service and all.

But I would absolutely cover it with a tarp. I dont want my friends thinking I own a PT Cruiser.:patriot:

Haha, yeah yeah yeah. I've heard it all when it comes to having a PT Cruiser. But I like it. It replaced my old truck, and it did great. The truck didn't have AC, cruise, or power-anything. The PT Cruiser gave me those upgrades (plus it had fewer miles and was more comfy for road trips) while still giving me a lot of space to transport things as I had been used to doing with the truck.

But I wouldn't blame you for covering it up ;)

PT Cruiser? PT Cruiser? Let it get stolen and collect the insurance and pick up a chick magnet. Seriously!

All in good time, my friend. I'm on contract to become a Naval Flight Officer, so I'll be able to drive whatever I want and just put this sticker on it!

2neAw.jpg

The flight suit will help, too :cool:

ETA - But yeah, I do plan on getting something SWEET. I'd really like a C3 Corvette. And there are other nice cars, too. Stickshift only, of course.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I work for U-Stor. I know you are attempting to save $$..... however, if it is only for 10 weeks or so, it won't run that much.

Below, is a link to the Tillman (street/area?) U-Stor facility. It is not owned by my employer.... but still, I can tell you about some benefits.

1. At all U-Stors in Indiana.... the managers live in an apartment, on-site.

2. All units, are individually ALARMED. You get a 'code' to enter at the properties' entry gate. When you put in the code on the keypad at the gate.... it 'unsets' the alarm. When you enter the code upon leaving (at the exit gate).. it re-sets your unit's alarm. The alarms are connected to a very loud siren, that is mounted on the back of the mgr's apartment... and will let them know, any time a unit is opened w/o the proper code for that unit. It also comes up on a 24/7 monitor called an "event viewer", on the computer in the office there.

3. There are digital cameras at the office, entry, and exit.. as well as at "undisclosed" locations on the property. No one gets in/out without being on a DVR tape.

4. Leases are month-to-month... and so, you will only have to pay for the length of time you need the storage unit. No 6-month or 12-month contract to sign. Paying customers have free 24-hour access to their unit. :yesway:

5. Most U-Stor facilities have a 'refer-a-friend' brochure displayed and available at local retail locations.... like gas station/convenient marts, and at many of the apartment complexes in your area. That brochure, will usually give you 1/2 off your first full month's rent. Ours here, even pay the referring individual, a $20 check. If those in Ft Wayne use the same policy... just have your Mom/Dad/a friend fill it in and take it w/ you.

U-Stor Tillman - U-Stor Fort Wayne - Fort Wayne Public Storage Units Alarmed Storage Facility - www.u-stor.com

Hope this helps... if you can't find anything better. -Lee

Wow, that is GREAT information. Thank you! I think I may reconsider that after all.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    "PS — you got any pro tips for this candidate?"

Sure. Remember, the purpose of OCS is to screen and evaluate. You will be tested and your responses to these tests are what matter, not whether you complete them successfully or at all.

NEVER quit.....ANYTHING! Even if you come in dead last, always finish the task at hand.

Don't EVER try to bull your way thru anything. If you don't know something, say so....but that you will find out.

Don't act like you know everything and that your way is the right way. You will be expected to learn the right way and do it the Marine way.

Don't fall asleep unless it's lights out.

Don't ever drop out as a heat casualty. Twice and you are out of the program, period. Besides, kneeling on your hands and knees in a baby pool of ice water with a thermostat hanging out of your poop shute ISN'T how you want to be seen by your platoon.

PROTECT YOUR EYES AT ALL COST! Those puppies are the only thing guarenteeing you a seat at flight school. Any accident you have that keeps you from passing an eye test or flight physical means that once you get to TBS, you are competing with everyone else for your Primary MOS.

Pilots and Lawyers are the only ones with guarenteed MOS's. Everyone else gets to pick 3 choices while at TBS and they are given out based on the needs of the Marine Corps and your class rank at TBS. They also do what's called a "quality spread". They divide the class into the top third, the middle third, and the bottom third. If they need 3 tank officers, they take one from the top, one from the middle and one from the bottom. The number one guy in the Company is the only one that gets his choice. Pilots and Lawyers don't even bother to put in choices because they have contracts. Everyone else gets what comes around.

Being #1 isn't always the best place to be. The #1 guy in my Company picked Infantry and was dead within a year due to a helo crash in Okinawa.

The best advice I ever got from anyone......."If you aren't having a blast, you are in the wrong MOS."

I think I repped you for this, but I also wanted to publicly thank you for it. I really appreciate advice about it.

Fortunately, I am on contract to become a Naval Flight Officer. I couldn't tell if you already knew that. I'm really looking forward to the fun parts that come after OCS and TBS. :yesway:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom