Hearing protection @ the range: What do you use?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    When I shoot with Annie, I just turn the electronic ones off, and she thinks I'm still listening.... ;)
    Doesn't matter...I'm usually saying the same stuff over and over anyhow.
    "My turn! My turn".
    Sometimes I mix it up with a "Don't lose your keys again" or a "you didn't bring ammo?? WTF?!?"
    OK, maybe I don't say the "F" word. OK, maybe I do...but WHO'S LISTENING? :D

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Doesn't matter...I'm usually saying the same stuff over and over anyhow.
    "My turn! My turn".
    Sometimes I mix it up with a "Don't lose your keys again" or a "you didn't bring ammo?? WTF?!?"
    OK, maybe I don't say the "F" word. OK, maybe I do...but WHO'S LISTENING?

I rest my case......:whistle:

notasccrmom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    south 'til you smell
    I just wear cheapo foam plugs for USPSA. I don't like the bulk of muffs on my head while moving and shooting. I also find that muffs don't seal to the head so well with glasses on. For rifle shooting, I usually double up.

Glocker1986

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    I use disposable foam ear plugs. They are cheap, and if I loose a set its no loss whatsoever. Plus I can throw several sets under the foam in my gun cases in case I forget a pair or I run into someone else who needs them.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Hearing protection you and also talk to people with?

I was told that there is hearing protection out there that block the gun shots but you can hear people talk in a normal voice. If this is true can anyone give me the names of some they use that work? I have bad hearing from my navy days around the big 3" and 5" guns with no hearing protection and want to keep what I have left. I catch myself lifting my muff to hear what the person is saying I am with. I need to stop that. Thanks

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I was told that there is hearing protection out there that block the gun shots but you can hear people talk in a normal voice. If this is true can anyone give me the names of some they use that work? I have bad hearing from my navy days around the big 3" and 5" guns with no hearing protection and want to keep what I have left. I catch myself lifting my muff to hear what the person is saying I am with. I need to stop that. Thanks

You're talking about electronic earmuffs. They work like normal muffs, but they have an amplifier that will amplify any sound up to a certain decibel level. That means if the batteries die, they won't stop blocking loud noises, they just won't pass the low-volume stuff anymore.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Yes, you can. The electronic muffs do very well. I have a note inside my range bag to turn off the muffs..... the batteries don't last from one range session to the next. :rolleyes:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Check out post #7, in this thread.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom