• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I have this old 250GB IDE HDD that crapped out on me. I think the motor went out but I'm not sure. I BADLY need the data off the drive but I obviously can't get it. I know the data should still be good or at least the vast majority of it.

Does ANYONE know ANYONE that can extract the data from the drive? I have DVD-R's or another external HDD the data can be transfered to. I just don't know where to begin looking for someone that can do this. I figured since there's alot of IT people in this forum, someone would SURELY know someone that could help without ruining the data....

Thanks Guys and Gals.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Data recovery on a 250GB hard drive with a dead motor is going to run you in the $3000-$5000 range. I am not exaggerating.

If the drive is not truly dead, there are some techniques you can try. Put the drive in a static bag and then into a ziplock and freeze the drive overnight, connect it WHILE IT IS STILL FROZEN and try to get your data off. Generally you have no more than two or three minutes, but if you know what you're looking for, sometimes that's enough.

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    Data recovery on a 250GB hard drive with a dead motor is going to run you in the $3000-$5000 range. I am not exaggerating.

If the drive is not truly dead, there are some techniques you can try. Put the drive in a static bag and then into a ziplock and freeze the drive overnight, connect it WHILE IT IS STILL FROZEN and try to get your data off. Generally you have no more than two or three minutes, but if you know what you're looking for, sometimes that's enough.

:+1:Yup, I was just about to suggest that. I've had that work a couple times, like you said just long enough to grab it and go.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    If your cables are long enough, connect them to the drive before you put it in the freezer and attempt the recovery while the drive is still inside the freezer. It will buy you an extra 30 seconds or so.

You can also buy a USB kit from Fry's that will let you plug an IDE or SATA drive into the USB port of another computer. This way, you can already have your recovery PC booted and ready to go once the drive is frozen. You don't have to waste precious time getting the thing to boot.

And now you've learned the importance of having a good backup of irreplaceable data.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    It would take more than just three minutes to transfer all the photos let alone the videos and documents. I guess I'll just have to wait a couple years to be able to afford doing so. That sucks, but I have no choice. I've read about the freezing technique, but they also said after you freeze it, it's done with after start up. I can't risk that.

I appreciate it though. Any websites that detail their services?

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    If your cables are long enough, connect them to the drive before you put it in the freezer and attempt the recovery while the drive is still inside the freezer. It will buy you an extra 30 seconds or so.

You can also buy a USB kit from Fry's that will let you plug an IDE or SATA drive into the USB port of another computer. This way, you can already have your recovery PC booted and ready to go once the drive is frozen. You don't have to waste precious time getting the thing to boot.

And now you've learned the importance of having a good backup of irreplaceable data.

Yea, I learned that lesson with this drive. I was PISSED to say the least. I back up with 2 extra drives now.

I also have the hardware to convert any IDE drive to an external drive. DVDRW's as well. I just don't want to risk losing irreplaceable data.

As a side note, this was my backup drive. It just crapped out one day while backing up my laptop. Go figure.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    That's ok. I think I'd rather wait til I win the lottery I never play so I can have professionals extract my data or fix the motor. I've held on to this drive for 4 years praying I can still get the data. At least I know it's possible. I have so many pictures and I have documents that are priceless and even some programs that you won't find on the net ANYWHERE anymore. And lets just say some things on there are worth more than a decked out AR. I think I'll wait until I can get it fixed right instead of bashing it around like I originally thought of doing when I kept getting the error "You're Effed, You're Effed"!!!!

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    No i didn't know where to look. I greatly appreciate the link. I'll check that out tonight. Thanks!

Top Bottom