HB1231 passes in house- (Centerfire rifles for deer hunting)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    House Bill 1231 - Hunting and property management - Indiana General Assembly, 2016 Session

Same link as noted but maybe leaving the "s" of off the end of the HTTP will help - not sure. -
    this the bottom tab of the list of "bill action" "bill digest" - etc - called "CCR/Concurrence/Dissent" essentially conference committee report - on the page for the legislation.

I emailed the committees and my own legislators and told them to vote no. the way this is set up is a step to the side and 2 backwards ... copy of letter? ask. I'll post it. ...

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    It just got passed in the house 84 yeas 5 nays. now on to the senate where it could run into trouble.

Getting close. So, if it passes senate, it's just a governors signature left?

Ruger Scout will hopefully see some action this fall!

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    I emailed the committees and my own legislators and told them to vote no. the way this is set up is a step to the side and 2 backwards ... copy of letter? ask. I'll post it. ...

Not to be a Negative Nancy or anything, but you do know if this bill fails, the chances of either the DNR or the Legislature bringing up the HPR issue again in the future is almost nonexistent, don't you?. This is more than likely our only shot. I say get the danged thing passed and amend it later.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Not to be a Negative Nancy or anything, but you do know if this bill fails, the chances of either the DNR or the Legislature bringing up the HPR issue again in the future is almost nonexistent, don't you?. This is more than likely our only shot. I say get the danged thing passed and amend it later.

you don't think this could be brought up before 2020? and if that is so, it would be just as unlikely (IMO) to get amended before the study period ends. ... or returned to the list of proposals then.

I'd support it, if it made sense, even as a baby step forward. I get the idea of baby steps.

Part 1 - the wording on cartridges is dumber than the current rules with what it allows and does not -
    ... and I have a 243 that I could use ... if I had private land ... I guess I can't be ethical about a shot on public land though.
    nor is it clear how this effects the current rules on CF rifles (generally in 'pistol calibers') ... that are not on the list. legal? not? whut?
    remember this state law and overrides IAC and DNR Rules.

Part 2 - opens the door for .40 S&W ... technically, yes, it does - which is an in appropriate round to hunt deer with;
    also most (not all) 10mm auto ammo is down loaded to 40 levels; Full power 10 mm auto is fine.

I see no need to rush and DNR has been progressing this direction anyway.

Sorry, Just IMO. ... feel free to write and express your own ... that's the way it is supposed to work.

it goes w/ my opinion in general of our government at most levels - stagnation is exactly something that is part of the process;
    because a government that cannot 'progress' is prevented from progressively taking your rights.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    I've been assured by the DNR that this rifle inclusion is in addition to the present cartridges that are legal now.

They also said that this will be rolled into the present firearm season.

jburris

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    henry county
    I do like that they didn't mention the 10ft rule or the us 40 split. I don't like the fact that the 45/70 is not included in the list. Guess I will have to stick to cutting down brass or use my 300blk pistol.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    you don't think this could be brought up before 2020? and if that is so, it would be just as unlikely (IMO) to get amended before the study period ends. ... or returned to the list of proposals then.

I'd support it, if it made sense, even as a baby step forward. I get the idea of baby steps.

Part 1 - the wording on cartridges is dumber than the current rules with what it allows and does not -
    ... and I have a 243 that I could use ... if I had private land ... I guess I can't be ethical about a shot on public land though.
    nor is it clear how this effects the current rules on CF rifles (generally in 'pistol calibers') ... that are not on the list. legal? not? whut?
    remember this state law and overrides IAC and DNR Rules.

Part 2 - opens the door for .40 S&W ... technically, yes, it does - which is an in appropriate round to hunt deer with;
    also most (not all) 10mm auto ammo is down loaded to 40 levels; Full power 10 mm auto is fine.

I see no need to rush and DNR has been progressing this direction anyway.

Sorry, Just IMO. ... feel free to write and express your own ... that's the way it is supposed to work.

it goes w/ my opinion in general of our government at most levels - stagnation is exactly something that is part of the process;
    because a government that cannot 'progress' is prevented from progressively taking your rights.

I understand your frustration, but I don't think it could pass with public land included at this time. It seems like much of the opposition last year came from public land hunters and northerners. The DNR could most certainly come back if this bill passes and change it to full inclusion of both all rifles over .243" and public ground via the administrative process.

Both my Senator and Representative are strong supporters of this bill, so I am good to go without contacting them to ask for support. Did your Representative vote yeah or nay today?

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I understand your frustration, but I don't think it could pass with public land included at this time. It seems like much of the opposition last year came from public land hunters and northerners. The DNR could most certainly come back if this bill passes and change it to full inclusion of both all rifles over .243" and public ground via the administrative process.

Both my Senator and Representative are strong supporters of this bill, so I am good to go without contacting them to ask for support. Did your Representative vote yeah or nay today?

Well - the senate was a closer vote to begin with; so tomorrow will tell the tale.

and as to the vote - it was par for the course:
    no one I contacted on the H side voted the way I asked. ... so normal. Must be Tuesday. or any other day that ends in a "Y".

jbell_64

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Mitchell
    geesh. if I have to wait for them to add cartridges by name I'll be 90 years old before they even consider the 7-08 I own........

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    I think the cartridge thing is dumb but is it really dumber than the current cartridge rule for small game?

.40 may not be ethical for deer but .375 h&h isnt responsible caliber for squirrel either. Start using logical and ethics when talking about dnr or legislative hunting laws in IN is just an exercise in frustration.

I dont think you'll see many people hunting with a .40 cause a) most people dont hunt with handguns and b) people will quickly learn if they dont already know, you wont be as successful with a .40 vs a .30-30 or something.

if they add just one traditional rifle deer cartridge this year, i consider it a success. We can all educate these people over the next year to add additional cartridges. Looks like we'll have to go the legislative route since dnr showed last year they dont want to enact rifle calibers.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    Well - the senate was a closer vote to begin with; so tomorrow will tell the tale.

and as to the vote - it was par for the course:
    no one I contacted on the H side voted the way I asked. ... so normal. Must be Tuesday. or any other day that ends in a "Y".

Rumor has it that some of the previous Senate nays were due to the now-removed "purple paint" portion, so I'm hoping for a stronger majority this time.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Rumor has it that some of the previous Senate nays were due to the now-removed "purple paint" portion, so I'm hoping for a stronger majority this time.

the "INGO" rule was silly; but when you look at it from cost to mark perspective ... well it is cheaper (than signs that get shot ever __ feet) but then again ... I dunno ...
    I envision purple forests, and violet trees; and uni-corn deer. ... wait ... LOL ... (sorry Not good at purple, myself.) ...

It falls where it does, and we move forward. It just seems like it will end up "Ok we've appeased this; so now its a non issue for a few years." ... and instead of doing it correctly, let's make it more confusing.

C'est La Vie.

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis

That's not a rumor. I know for a fact one senator voted against the bill because of the purple paint thing

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    the "INGO" rule was silly; but when you look at it from cost to mark perspective ... well it is cheaper (than signs that get shot ever __ feet) but then again ... I dunno ...
    I envision purple forests, and violet trees; and uni-corn deer. ... wait ... LOL ... (sorry Not good at purple, myself.) ...

It falls where it does, and we move forward. It just seems like it will end up "Ok we've appeased this; so now its a non issue for a few years." ... and instead of doing it correctly, let's make it more confusing.

C'est La Vie.

better a non issue for a few years than not at all. You have to remember the DNR couldn't get this done last year and their are a lot of guys, including myself who have been pushing for this for several years who want it to go forward now not later. i happen to know there was quite a bit of behind the scenes maneuvering just to get this out of the senate NR committee. The DNR can and will fix it so eventually all rifles are legal. If you want to look into the future read the link below. steps are different but result will be the same.

Rifles OK'd for hunting statewide, unless local -ordinances say otherwise - Weekly News - Wisconsin DNR

Steve

Top Bottom