Has anyone ever been to the Crosley Lake FWA range?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RspecZX6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Shelbyville, IN
    I'm not far from this range and seeing as my girlfriend wants to try her new rifle, I figured I would take her there tomorrow.

Does the staging area have a roof? What can we expect?

Methane Herder

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Pitchfork Union
    If the river is up you made need a higher ground clearance vehicle to get back to the range. There is a creek with a poured slab ford that you will need to cross going back to the range. Other than that it is a nice state run range. Never been there and had to wait more than 1/2 an hour to use the 100 or 200 yd. range. Been there about six times in the last 10 years.
    MH

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    That's south of Seymour and down by Muskatatuck, right?

+1 on a 4x4 to cross the creek. Many years ago when I last went there it was not covered. Maybe DHS made some improvements? :dunno:

I went there because it was the only 200 yd range in central Indiana..

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I like going there for the 200 yard range. Usually not real busy when I've been there. And not s lot of hassle, rarely is there some one from DNR there. And those that I have encountered have been very nice.

inlineman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Years ago lived close,used to go all the time and never had to wait.They just asked that you fill out a card.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Nice range, high berms between the lanes, 2 stations per lane, stations are covered, some stations have concrete pads (not sure about all).

Go in the back way and avoid the bridge (it made me nervous the last time I drove across it).

You have to fill out a card and keep it with you while you are shooting.

It seems colder on the range than away from the range. I don't know if it sits low or the humidity is high or what but it has always seemed cool to me. Bring a coat/jacket one level higher than you think you need.

RspecZX6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Shelbyville, IN
    We had a nice outting today. The range was very busy, but we only waited for about 10 minutes.

We did have some idiots cut in front of us at the 25 yard range, then one of them swept me and my girlfriend with his 15-22 while pretending he was Tony Montana. I nearly lost it, but I remained calm since his friend yelled at him. Luckily the magazine was detached and I saw him dry fire before that little "stunt". Still that was incredibly dumb and dangerous.

Other than that everyone we met was great and I made sure everyone knew about INGO. We had to cross the bridge and dang did I get scared! Avoid that crap!

We can't wait to return.

I'll have pics of the outing up after work tomorrow. I somehow turned a born & raised liberal into a passionate gun owner who loves to shoot, which makes me proud of her.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    It's alright, people like to trash it. Best take your own target stand, as they get destroyed. If you have to #2, you are better off finding a tree.

Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    I've never shot there but have been there numerous times. I collect Crosley Cars and our Region has a meeting there at Crosley Fish and Game Area every year. We always go to the range via the iron bridge in our cars. Powel Crosley's hunting lodge was right next to where the range is today. If you wander down towards the river you'll run into the remnants of the lodge and pool. Larry Alsop who used the manage the property is in our club and he showed me how they trashed the restrooms there. It was at one time a state of the art pit toilet but people filled the commodes with beer cans and other trash and then broke them off the foundation. I do not know if the new mgr has had them repaired but they were in real bad shape.The iron bridge is plenty strong enough for anything you would drive there and is kind of cool just to see. Powel Crosley built the bridge on his own dime in 1937. (well it was his property after all)

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    its a good range but disrespectful people like to trash it, so if you go please clean up after yourself, I go there whenever I get the chance, if I'm there though I usually share my bay with other so don't have to wait a long time to shoot.

Mak

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2011
    Seymour
    I've been several times this year and had good experiences. Lanes are full on the weekends but most people will share lanes. I have only met nice people there so far. Take a cardboard box with you to sit on the ground and attach your targets to ;)

Top Bottom