• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • glocktoys

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    May 12, 2008
    mishawaka, up north
    ok i had a laptop dielast year and pulled the hard drive. i purchased ausb cable to use the 500gb hd as a back up and pull info off it. i wanted to delete the windows and associated directories to free up room but it wont let me delete the directories. how can i do this? it had windows 7 from gateway and running windows 7 on my new toshiba. any help would be great.

Mak

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2011
    Seymour
    save info you want to keep from it onto another drive then reformat drive (will delete everything) then it will be ready for use as backup drive

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    I am not 100% sure on this, but I believe you must format it to remove windows off of it. Formatting it will delete everything, so if there are other files on it you want to keep, save them to a computer that you can put back onto the harddrive after you format it.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I've done some pretty weird crap with HDs. Unless M$ has done something even stupider than usual, it shouldn't matter if the "operating system" (quotes in lieu of purple) is present; you should be able to retrieve wanted files and reformat the drive, then use it like a French whore.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Windows 7 respects file permissions based on GUID/SID. Since you have the drive connected to a new install the GUIDs authorized to delete those directories don't exist.

Download a Linux live CD from Ubuntu or someone, boot your laptop from that, and delete whatever you want.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Yeah, you'd know it would be M$ pretending to be grown up about something, and screwing it up in its inimitable manner.

Cpl. Klinger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The 4077th
    Windows 7 respects file permissions based on GUID/SID. Since you have the drive connected to a new install the GUIDs authorized to delete those directories don't exist.

Download a Linux live CD from Ubuntu or someone, boot your laptop from that, and delete whatever you want.

Or, you could do a little command line work in windows and do the same thing.

glocktoys

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    May 12, 2008
    mishawaka, up north
    ok thanks. 3.5 hours to copy stuff off it (425 gig) and format and now another 3.5 hours to move it back (trying to save time if i could). thanks for the input and should have tried the linex boot cd idea and deleted the directories that way). thanks again

Top Bottom