Hard cast bullets are not "lead" bullets.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

After you read this understand that coated hard cast bullets can be fired at fmj velocity in your handguns. In fact I took a fmj 115gr 9mm and a hard cast 16 BNH 115gr 9mm took a hammer to both the fmj flattened out much more than the hard cast and with less hits. Fmj are filled with soft lead not hard cast alloy.

76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through
    I guess I need to read the article, but I admittedly always thought hard cast meant water dropped lead cast.

I’ve been wrong before though, I’m sure of it.

dennismassie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2020
    West Lafayette
    I believe that "hard cast" refers to the amount of tin and/or linotype (high tin content) added to the alloy. The higher the tin content, the harder the alloy. Water-dropping increases the hardness very little in comparison to the addition of tin to the melt.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    For truly hard cast bullets you need both tin and antimony. Both are found in linotype. For water quenching to be of any effect at all you need that antimony. You may also see a shrinkage of 0.001" with the water drop. For the hardest bullets (boolits!) I use straight linotype. These are for my M1 carbine, my .30-30s, .38-55s and my 45-70s. For most others I just use straight wheel weight alloy. 9mm is special and gets a little harder alloy but not straight lino.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Hard cast is actually an alloy and it is not pure lead. Antimony and tin is what makes it harder as Slim said. For Magnums I'd live to find some at 21bnh. Coated with hi tech coating and 16bnh I'm able to load to normal fmj velocity without lead fouling.

Top Bottom