• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    The hunting regulations say the .357 Magnum cartridge is legal for deer in Indiana, and the handgun must have a barrel length of at least 4". In my Colt Python, if I can ever find them, I hope to carry the Federal HydraShok 158 grain .357 rounds for self-defense. This would be an adequate load for deer as well, yes?

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    I would consider a cast bullet with a wide flat meplat. The heavier the better in 357.
    The Hydrashock may not give you two holes, which is what I prefer. It may dump all its energy inside and still be deadly on deer.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I think I'd be worried it wouldn't penetrate deep enough for anything other than a perfect side shot. What dak mentioned above seems the best answer.

This is in stock as of now. Yep, it's spendy but you may just decide it's worth it.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    We always used the 180’s or cast 158’s in 357 mag and Max.

the hydro shocks would work but could like stated not give two holes or make blood trailing a bit harder. Some of this depends on distance.

I have places I could hunt with about any legal load because it is thick and shots will be close. I often wonder while hauling up the rifle to the stands why I did not just grab the model 29 and chest rig.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I think I'd be worried it wouldn't penetrate deep enough for anything other than a perfect side shot. What dak mentioned above seems the best answer.

This is in stock as of now. Yep, it's spendy but you may just decide it's worth it.
    Yup. Exit wounds can make all the difference when blood trailing.

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I've killed one deer w/ a .357. It was a smaller doe that dropped in it's tracks when hit w/ a 140 gr. Hornady SP. Didn't mean to hunt with it but my slug gun was leaning against a tree 10 ft. away.:ugh:

duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    The 1st deer that I killed with a handgun was my Dan Wesson 15-2 .357 mag with a 6" barrel shooting handloads with 158 gr Hornady XTPs. I shot it while it was quartering away from me, the bullet entered the left side just behind the shoulder and came out on the right side of it's neck (it was grazing as it walked past me @ 30 yards). The muscle reflexes from the deer being shot spun it around 180° and it dropped in its tracks. The bullet took the top of the heart off and it was a very fortunate shot. I've taken about 10 with that same handgun/load and none have gone more than 30 yards from where I shot them. I killed 2 with the 125 gr XTPs with virtually the same results. This gun/handload was capable of 2.5" groups at 85 yards from a solid rest.

I now hunt with a Dan Wesson .44 mag as I wanted to be able to shoot out to 100 yards and feel confident that there is enough reach and energy to make a clean kill. The 15-2 now sports a 2.5" barrel and is part of my EDC rotation.

Walking Bear

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2017
    Floyds Knobs
    Check out Buffalo Bore line of hunting bullets. They are not cheap but will do the job. I believe a .357 will get it done with proper bullet and shot placement.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom