• ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Nope. It's gbu, not a snakeye.
    My thought was that some sort of airbrakes similar to the Snakeye might allow for the straight down on target impact that we see in the picture so as to maximize penetration and damage to that particular target and minimize collateral

It's definitely air-dropped, and the only two ways I can game that vertical impact is drag fins slow the horizontal component of its delivery speed to zero or it is dropped at a much higher altitude and terminal guidance has time to deliver a vertical impact. Don't quite understand the need for the smaller fins at the very back of the device if the larger elements ahead of that are also for steering - unless they are part of an add-on steering kit and the nucleus is a standard gravity bomb. I included the picture of the Snakeyes just to clarify what I meant by 'air brakes', not to suggest it was an actual Snakeye

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    My thought was that some sort of airbrakes similar to the Snakeye might allow for the straight down on target impact that we see in the picture so as to maximize penetration and damage to that particular target and minimize collateral

It's definitely air-dropped, and the only two ways I can game that vertical impact is drag fins slow the horizontal component of its delivery speed to zero or it is dropped at a much higher altitude and terminal guidance has time to deliver a vertical impact. Don't quite understand the need for the smaller fins at the very back of the device if the larger elements ahead of that are also for steering - unless they are part of an add-on steering kit and the nucleus is a standard gravity bomb. I included the picture of the Snakeyes just to clarify what I meant by 'air brakes', not to suggest it was an actual Snakeye

Runs with the old "snake and nape" combo probably aren't under consideration these days.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Top Bottom