H1N1 surprise...bet you never saw this coming.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nawainwright

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    New Hampshire
    He says knowingly :rolleyes:

Study: H1N1 May Be Less Severe than Feared Liveshots

Study: H1N1 May Be Less Severe than Feared

December 8, 2009 - 4:08 PM | by: Jonathan Serrie The theoretical worst case scenarios associated with this year's H1N1 pandemic taught us not to take influenza for granted. However, a new study suggests the worst case scenario for H1N1 may be only slightly more deadly than a typical outbreak of seasonal flu -- and, in a best case scenario, much less.
    In the study, published in the Public Library of Science journal, "PLoS Medicine," researchers analyzed extensive data from outbreaks in Milwaukee and New York from April to July to get a more accurate picture of the risks associated with the virus.
    Among their major findings, approximately 1 in 70 people with symptoms of pandemic H1N1 required hospitalization. About 1 in 400 symptomatic cases required treatment. And approximately 1 in 2,000 people who had H1N1 symptoms died.
    Estimates of severity fell even lower (by 7 to 9 times) when researchers took into account a New York telephone survey in which respondents self-reported incidence of flu-like illness in their families.
    The study's authors conclude, "These estimates suggest that an autumn-winter pandemic wave of pH1N1 with comparable severity per case could lead to a number of deaths in the range from considerably below that associated with seasonal influenza to slightly higher."
    Each year, seasonal flu claims an estimated 36 thousand lives in this country. The elderly are at highest risk. Whereas, H1N1 disproportionately affects people under 65.
    Public health officials say vaccination is the best way to avoid getting influenza and spreading it to others. After weeks of shortages, H1N1 vaccine supplies are plentiful enough that some states and municipalities have expanded immunization campaigns beyond the groups at highest risk for the disease. See my related blog on vaccine distribution.

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    I was saying the exact same thing at work, of course everyone thought I was full of s**t, and I work at the hospital! The media always blows everything out of proportion! Now dont get me wrong, I think everyone should take precautions when it comes to the seasonal flu and other illnesses, but I dont trust new vaccines that are "presumed" safe. I have never recieved the flu shot, nor did I get the H1N1, I try to take care of myself and take vitamins.

The problem is when an outbreak like this happens it causes mass panic, we had record numbers of people in the ER because of what was being passed on the news. People need to be informed, but without causing panic.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I heard an interview with a medical researcher who has written several books about medical panics - I've forgotten his name - but "regular" flu kills many, many more people every year than swine flu (I'm not PC). His take was that it's stupid to get the vaccine unless you've gotten the vaccine for the more common types of flu, or if your job is such that you can't afford to miss a couple of days.

Young children are a different story, as the regular flu doesn't kill a very high percentage of them, whereas swine flu is more dangerous for them. My wife got a regular vaccine, I got none, and my daughter got both.

Fear, especially unwarranted fear, is the sea that politicians swim in. You see, they can "solve" the problem so easily. Typically the price we pay is just another little chunk of freedom.

Big Griff

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    I agree on not jumping on the bandwagon so fast. An unknown drug can have some harmful issues on first release.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    But But... Chicken Little says the Sky is Falling

AlGore_as_ChickenLittle.jpg

Greatestsin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Morgan Township, NWI
    If they didn't make this out to be a horrible new Black Plague, how else could some states have passed laws for mandatory quarantines and vaccines on penalty of jail and fine? All they need to do is to declare a health emergency.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    In typical UN fashion, it was all about big money and bribes. Drug company reps working for the WHO. WHO declares a pandemic. Countries line up to buy vaccine from the drug companies. Drug companies net 10 - 15 billion $.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    OMG! The H1N1 is coming! The H1N1 is coming! Oh wait. It's just the flu.... :rolleyes:

And how many on this site were freaking out about it? How many people were stark believers in the vaccine? :rolleyes:

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    My wife works in intensive care and has 2 H1N1 patients. One is immuno comprimised, been there 3 mo, on a vent. The other is healthy female mid 40's on a vent for a month, FWIW.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    My wife works in intensive care and has 2 H1N1 patients. One is immuno comprimised, been there 3 mo, on a vent. The other is healthy female mid 40's on a vent for a month, FWIW.

Both because of the Vaccine or the flu?

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Sorry, because of the flu.

Could just have really low immune systems. :dunno: I mean, I'm sure the flu hits otherwise healthy people hard, but there's no way that vaccine was good for anyone. Especially since it wasn't tested properly.

Regardless, I'm glad to see that people recognize H1N1 for what it was. What bothers me is no one is making a big deal about the disease from teh Ukraine that is killing people 100x's more than any flu. :dunno:

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    how else could some states have passed laws for mandatory quarantines and vaccines on penalty of jail and fine? All they need to do is to declare a health emergency.
    Oh, oh, oh, and the great and powerful wizard of washington already declared it a health emergence over a month ago. He claimed it was to "save time for the states just in case...". Also, the W.H.O. this past spring changed the definition of "pandemic" from an existing situation to anything that could become.......No publicity about it though, because the whole purpose was to instill fear into us so we didn't complain about the declaration of an "emergency". Isn't that TERRORISM?

Top Bottom