• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I've owned one before, they are fun guns to shoot, I think I paid around 175.00-200.00 in the early 2000's, no way would I pay a price starting with a 4 or 5 or more!

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    I get looking for a specific firearm for a collection. But specific firearms tend to cost money.

If the goal, however, is just some fun plinking, Heritage makes a nice single action pistol at very affordable prices. They even have a 9-shot version ... buy a few extra cylinders and you can plink as fast as your kids can reload the cylinders ... available in both .22 LR and .22 WMR.

Last edited:

Rick60

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    Bloomington
    Thanks fellas! I see them online( gunbroker,etc.) but they are always sold, and I have checked for years. I understand they made gazillions of these, try to find one now. I already have two Heritage revolvers. What I want is a top break .22.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Thanks fellas! I see them online( gunbroker,etc.) but they are always sold, and I have checked for years. I understand they made gazillions of these, try to find one now. I already have two Heritage revolvers. What I want is a top break .22.
    I linked 11 auctions that are still live. You can jump into one or all of them today. These pistols won't be sold until the bell rings at the end of the auction ... maybe you win, maybe you don't ... keep trying because GB has new auctions added daily.

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    Trying to find one in good condition. Like looking for a unicorn.
    They really didn’t make a huge amount of these guns. There are several variations to be aware of, some more scarce than others.

Early production until about 1933 the letter code “D” was used to denote double action

First Variation; round heavy weight ribbed barrel with Blade non-adjustable front sight ----1932- to before April 18,1933

Second Variation; adjustable front sight------------1933 (after 4-18-1933)-

Third Variation; firing pin moved to hammer-------------------------1934

Fourth Variation; three inch barrel was offered----------------------1935

Fifth Variation; two patent dates marked on cylinder (before there was only one)---1936 (after 3-17)-1937

Sixth Variation; top of barrel markings moved to right side of barrel---------------1937-1939

Seventh Variation; 22 WFR caliber dropped, 3 inch barrel dropped--------------1940-1941

Eight Variation; one piece over size plastic grips are standard, limited production during WWII years----1942-1952

MODEL 999 SPORTSMAN SECOND MODEL (NEW FRAME)-------1953-1972
    Top Break, Double Action, 22 Long Rifle Caliber, 9 shot, Blue Finish, Barrel Length 6 inches, Adjustable Sights

Third model 1972- 1986. Now included a transfer bar.

If I haven’t bored you to tears yet be sure to check the timing, also the quill will get weak over time and break after a couple boxes of ammo. They are great guns a a hoot to empty and reload. (One of the few lemon squeezers in existence with practical value. Lol)

Whatever you decide get ready for heavy, heavy trigger pull in da.

Forgot to add. The 3” bbl with the rice frame is the most desirable.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    They really didn’t make a huge amount of these guns. There are several variations to be aware of, some more scarce than others.

Early production until about 1933 the letter code “D” was used to denote double action

First Variation; round heavy weight ribbed barrel with Blade non-adjustable front sight ----1932- to before April 18,1933

Second Variation; adjustable front sight------------1933 (after 4-18-1933)-

Third Variation; firing pin moved to hammer-------------------------1934

Fourth Variation; three inch barrel was offered----------------------1935

Fifth Variation; two patent dates marked on cylinder (before there was only one)---1936 (after 3-17)-1937

Sixth Variation; top of barrel markings moved to right side of barrel---------------1937-1939

Seventh Variation; 22 WFR caliber dropped, 3 inch barrel dropped--------------1940-1941

Eight Variation; one piece over size plastic grips are standard, limited production during WWII years----1942-1952

MODEL 999 SPORTSMAN SECOND MODEL (NEW FRAME)-------1953-1972
    Top Break, Double Action, 22 Long Rifle Caliber, 9 shot, Blue Finish, Barrel Length 6 inches, Adjustable Sights

Third model 1972- 1986. Now included a transfer bar.

If I haven’t bored you to tears yet be sure to check the timing, also the quill will get weak over time and break after a couple boxes of ammo. They are great guns a a hoot to empty and reload. (One of the few lemon squeezers in existence with practical value. Lol)

Whatever you decide get ready for heavy, heavy trigger pull in da.

Forgot to add. The 3” bbl with the rice frame is the most desirable.
    When NEF and HR merged they produced them in the 90’s as well, over 60 years of production there’s a few out there

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    When NEF and HR merged they produced them in the 90’s as well, over 60 years of production there’s a few out there
    You got me on that one! I either just didn’t know or my old age took over and made me forget. Thx for straightening me out.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Unicorns ain't cheap!
    They are actually extinct now. They weren't a horse with a horn.
    1679708759827.png

This Texas store might want to research before buying just to make sure it isn't fraudulent.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom