• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maiorano

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Hey guys!

New to the forum, but figured this was the best place to come to speak with people "in the know".

I'm curious about what all the steps necessary are to purchase an MP5. Not a semi-auto replica, but like the legit full auto sub-machine gun.

I've heard from several friends that Plainfield Shooting Supplies is the closest Class III dealer to Indy, and that they would be the best place to go. From there they should be able to special order me exactly what I want, or at least something close. Any other info or suggestions on this? I'm located on the Northside, so it's not too bad of a drive.

How much should I expect to spend when it's all said and done? What kinda of breakdown should I expect? (How much for the gun, then how much for the taxes and fees and what not) I've heard everything from $2K to $20K, so I'm a little confused on what to expect.

Also, once I get it, do I need any sort of special ammo for it? Or is it all pretty standardized by caliber? I wasn't sure if there was something different I need to keep an eye on for an automatic...

Finally, once I have it, where can I actually shoot it? I don't think the MP5 is a large enough caliber to qualify as a rifle shell, so am I able to take it to places like my home range at Pops Guns on the east side? Or is the decision made on a range by range basis? Once there, am I allowed to fire it in auto mode, or do I have to keep it in semi?

Oh one more thing, what kind of carry restrictions are their on this? I mean I don't expect it to be legal to walk down the sidewalk with it under a coat or anything, but what about transportation? Like can it only be in my trunk in a locked case? Etc etc...

Ha sorry about the novel of a post, but I appreciate all the info!

Looking forward to being more active on the forum!

-Mike

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I'm curious about what all the steps necessary are to purchase an MP5. Not a semi-auto replica, but like the legit full auto sub-machine gun.

I suggest you start by reading the following:

Our NFA FAQ: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/class_iii_nfa/6459-nfa_faq_s.html

NFA From a Beginner's Perspective: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/class_iii_nfa/26144-nfa_from_a_beginner_s_perspective.html

and my own little treatise on the subject:
    Purchasing Title II Items

I've heard from several friends that Plainfield Shooting Supplies is the closest Class III dealer to Indy

Plainfield is not a Class III dealer. The closest would be Beech Grove Firearms or, I believe, Elmore's in Greenwood.

From there they should be able to special order me exactly what I want, or at least something close. Any other info or suggestions on this?

Easiest way is to find the gun yourself on a site like Tom Bowers' Politically Incorrect Machine Gun Pages or Sturmgewehr Assault Rifle and NFA Forums - On the New Server, then arrange to have it transferred to your nearest CIII dealer.

How much should I expect to spend when it's all said and done?

Cost of the gun + at least $200 in tax stamps (possibly $400, depending on whether the gun is in private or dealer hands) + your Class III dealer's transfer fee.

Also, once I get it, do I need any sort of special ammo for it?

An MP-5 should run with most any type of 9x19mm ammo.

Finally, once I have it, where can I actually shoot it? I don't think the MP5 is a large enough caliber to qualify as a rifle shell, so am I able to take it to places like my home range at Pops Guns on the east side? Or is the decision made on a range by range basis? Once there, am I allowed to fire it in auto mode, or do I have to keep it in semi?

Popguns does (or did, prior to the managment change) allow full-auto in pistol calibers; I've shot my SMG there on several occasions. Other ranges may prohibit full-auto fire, but still allow you to shoot it on semi-auto (my home range @ Wildcat Valley is like that), while still others prohibit ALL select-fire weapons, even if they are set to fire semi-auto (Eagle Creek Pistol Range, for example).

but what about transportation? Like can it only be in my trunk in a locked case? Etc etc...

Transport it like you would any other long gun, just keep a copy of your transfer paperwork with the gun at all times.

HTH!

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    You can check price/availability on the subgun forums:
    NFA Firearms Ads

There's several local classIII FFLs that could help do the transfer.

I wouldn't shoot anything other than good high quality name brand 9mm ball ammo through something worth $19k.

Yes, Pops will let you shoot full auto but you need to talk to them about it first.

You need to keep a copy of the gun's tax registration on you at all times when transporting &/or using the gun.

You'll want a high grade safe/hiding place. Nowhere near your other guns. Preferably in the same box as your trained pet cobra. :draw:

Rules for getting a registered gun can differ if you go the Trust method.

Rotor Talker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Greenfield
    I keep copies of my Form 4's with the gun at all times, the original is in the Safe deposit box at the bank. When travelling out of state ( such as to Knob Creek this weekend) one fills out in duplicate and in advance, form 5320.20, this is your "uncle sam permission slip" to cross state lines.

In 13 years of ownership have had only one occassion when I had to get my forms to show Law enforcement, there was a group of us shooting, like 10-12 guys, sheriff showed up, we ceased fire, they asked one guy for his paperwork, everyone scattered to their vehicles and came at them with notebook binders in hand, the sergeant says " forget it, you guys must be legit" they hung out and watched the rest of the day.

Remember magazines and all the fun accessories, if you're set on MP 5 for sure, swing over to HKPRO.COM--The Unofficial Website for the Uncompromising HK Enthusiast , a great place for everything HK

Feel free to post back or PM, maybe see you at the creek this weekend, enjoy! And welcome to this forum.

Maiorano

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Guys!

'effin amazing on the responses! So much better than I ever could have hoped for.

I'll look through all the links and everything you guys provided when I have some more time in the next day or two, but I really appreciate all the info!

Maybe in a few months I'll have a shiny new toy to take some pictures of and post...

Thanks again!

-Mike

HK45Lefty

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Guys!
    Maybe in a few months I'll have a shiny new toy to take some pictures of and post...

Not sure if anyone explained that there are no "NEW" FA weapons available for civilian transfer. Only stuff that was legally registered before the law changed in 1986. Everything you might get transferred is already in someone else's hands, approx 23 years old or older, and the supply isn't getting any bigger. That's why the prices are so high.

pierce195

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    New Castle
    If you can get your hands on an MP5 do it. I love the one issued to me, but there is no way I would pay 19K for one.

I have put almost every type of 9mm ammo down range without any issues, unlike our SMG's.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I know popguns allows FA, the last gun I shot there was sear gun/ciener mp5 with a can on it. It was just unreal how quiet that thing was, even indoors. Right around 20K was what I have last seen on for as well and as I recall that was a sear gun.

All the best,

Joe

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    In 1986 Reagan signed the 86 GCA which among other things restricted civilian transferable title II weapons to those already registered to civilians as well as those registered within a brief grace period. To my knowledge, the constitutionality of that provision has never gone before any of the appellate circuits and definately has not gone before SCOTUS.

This caused the # of civilian tranferable NFA weapons to become fixed and drove the market value to 10-15X the actual value. IMO, the 2nd absolutely does apply and as the 2nd exists in a large part to guard against gov't tyranny through the use of a standing army against the citizenry, full auto military weapons would be absolutely protected under the 2nd.

However, as we all know the constitution has been maligned beyond recognition in the 200+ years since its intitial ratification. That is why even Justice Scalie, among the most conservate on the SCOTUS, payed lip service to GCA 86 on page 55 in his 2nd amendment opinion last year in Heller.

All the best,

Joe

Last edited:
    Top Bottom