• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm in the 24.0gr of H110 with a 240gr XTP/HP club. One 8pt buck to it's credit.

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    H110 is a good choice. Doesn't burn as clean as 296, but isn't as temp sensative.

Like a couple have already said, I actually prefer the more versatile 2400.

I read somewhere that H110 and 296 are the exact same powder, in a different package.(the data is the same) I don't know if this was always true and Winchester/Hodgedon are just now acknowledging it, or if they used to be different. Same with 231 and HP-38.

2400 is great stuff...a little harder to meter, but not bad.

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I've used a lot of H110 in 45 Colt (Ruger), 357 Mag, 30-30 Win (Contender). Good powerful propellant. Loads and velocities nearly identical to Win 296.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I read somewhere that H110 and 296 are the exact same powder, in a different package.(the data is the same) I don't know if this was always true and Winchester/Hodgedon are just now acknowledging it, or if they used to be different. Same with 231 and HP-38.

2400 is great stuff...a little harder to meter, but not bad.

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

I have heard the same, but don't know for sure. I also have read where St. Marks powders produce both the 296 for Win and H110 for Hodgdon.

read post # 5... I tried finding a number and was gonna call and verify myself...

Click here: H-110 and W-296 Are Not The Same

While I can easily believe that they are the same powders today, I find it hard to believe they always were. I see in the link there are more than (1) that claim that they have always been the same. :dunno:

What I remember about both was that the 296 was definately cleaner burning as compared to the H110.

Also, in late 80's I was stationed in the middle of the Mohave desert. We would throw the ammo in our cars before work and go shoot after we got turned loose. After sitting in a very hot trunk all day, a hot, but otherwise safe load with 296 would show extreme signs of pressure due to the temp variation... I never saw this with H110. This was one reason, along with the majority of the long range steel shooters out there was using 2400, is the reason I switched to the Alliant ( Hercules back then) and I have never looked back.

Last edited:

buckhunterbb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Kimmell
    I shot my S&W 629 Classic today with the 21.1 gr of H-110 and I'm not going to complain. It's gonna be just fine. The book says 1200 fps, I didn't cronagraph it but it's gonna get the job done on killing a deer. I'm sure of that. Thanks for the input and on the next 50 I might bump it up to 24 grains.

Not good reloading technique to go from 21.1gr directly to 24.0gr. I would work load up slowly, .3-.5 gr increments to max load. Slow down when getting near max. load. 23-23.5gr still has alot of power. May be all you want to shoot.

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    I have heard the same, but don't know for sure. I also have read where St. Marks powders produce both the 296 for Win and H110 for Hodgdon.

read post # 5... I tried finding a number and was gonna call and verify myself...

Click here: H-110 and W-296 Are Not The Same

While I can easily believe that they are the same powders today, I find it hard to believe they always were. I see in the link there are more than (1) that claim that they have always been the same. :dunno:

What I remember about both was that the 296 was definately cleaner burning as compared to the H110.

Thanks for the link and first hand info. I never used any H110, but plenty of 296.

Top Bottom