• ...and so much more!
  • AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I have really been totally engrossed with cutting threads lately and have learned I need another tool to do longer barrels so I can index off the bore and not the outside of the barrel.
    So since I could not buy what I needed for my lathe....actually I didn't even look because I saw one similar to the on another forum and figured I could make my own.

What I am making is a "Lathe Spider" for holding and adjusting the end of the barrel that would stick out the back of the lathe.

Some pics:
    Here is the tool in raw form :)

3.5" solid bar stock.

DSC02786.jpg

I did not take a lot of photos through the process but you'll get the idea

I cut off a chunk trimmed it up and punched a hole through it and then used a boring bar to size it prior to cutting the inside metric threads.

DSC02787.jpg

DSC02788.jpg

Missed a couple pics here. I threaded it first then once the threads were successful I contoured the outside

DSC02792.jpg

DSC02796.jpg

DSC02793.jpg

Next was to notch it for a spanner wrench

DSC02799.jpg

Drill and tap for adjusters

DSC02801.jpg

DSC02803.jpg

DSC02805.jpg

Installed

DSC02806.jpg

DSC02808.jpg

Now I have one last thing to do and that is to drill the center of the adjusters and make 3/8" brass inserts to keep from scratching the barrel. I wasn't going to post any pics until I was all done but I ended up having a few minutes with nothing to do. :) :)

I still have to make another tool for shorter barrels but I received the material for that today :)

Hajisc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   1
    Oct 11, 2012
    Westville,In.
    Very nice work. Are you happy with the Grizzly lathe? I have an old southbend but thinking about changing to something newer and more precision.Or have mine rebuilt.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Very nice work. Are you happy with the Grizzly lathe? I have an old southbend but thinking about changing to something newer and more precision.Or have mine rebuilt.

I like it fine and I would buy a grizzly again but I would pick a different model based on what I know now. Not that there is anything wrong with this one it's just that it is the combo mill and lathe. I bought it before I picked up a Mill.

I am really kinda lusting after their "gunsmith" lathe :)
    Maybe if I sell my car.:D

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Nicely done. Have you ever tried indexing the bore with a "live center"? Had occasion to talk to the resident "gun smith" at an unnamed shop. He was all agog over gauge wire indicating. What you are doing is correct. Both ends should be indicated for true cuts. The longer the cut the more critical it is.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Nicely done. Have you ever tried indexing the bore with a "live center"? Had occasion to talk to the resident "gun smith" at an unnamed shop. He was all agog over gauge wire indicating. What you are doing is correct. Both ends should be indicated for true cuts. The longer the cut the more critical it is.

I did a Ruger 10/22 from a live center and it worked out with my suppressor no problems. But since then I have read and studied what others are doing and have switched my thought process to using the bore rods.

I have a another 18" 10/22 barrel I am getting ready to thread by using the rod method but it is to short to use the new tool I made :( Sooo I am now working on a jig for shorter barrels. this will be a simple Jig and wont takes much time at all to make and I can test it on the Ruger barrel.
    Am I making this to hard? Maybe, but I do think that indexing off the bore makes better sense that a live center but I have no first hand test data to prove it.
    I guess that is what I am doing now is creating my comfort zone.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I like it fine and I would buy a grizzly again but I would pick a different model based on what I know now. Not that there is anything wrong with this one it's just that it is the combo mill and lathe. I bought it before I picked up a Mill.

I am really kinda lusting after their "gunsmith" lathe :)
    Maybe if I sell my car.:D

You did that with one of the mill/lathe combos? I'm even more impressed now!

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Update, I made 1 more tool for threading. This 16" barrel was to short to use the spider on, so I made up this jig. here are a couple pics with a barrel mocked up and a bore rod setup.
    Obviously the barrel isn't ready or positioned correctly for threading....but soon it will be :)

DSC02869.jpg

DSC02868.jpg

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I got one of the little Grizzley mills a couple of weeks ago, not installed yet, and a lathe supposedly coming today. Grizzley was out of that one until the end of the year, but I found the same one somewhere else.

I see you put four adjusters in each set, and yup, there's an indicator :) You say you have CDO, and I understand perfectly.

Top Bottom