• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Here is an interesting link to a number of discussions about carrying a weapon(s) while hiking. I know this can be controversial so I'm just curious as to what others do in this regard.

Most of the time I CC with a little pocket pistol or I may have a .38 in a fanny or day pack. I rarely open carry 'cuz I don't want to draw attention and I can't keep track of where I can and can't have a firearm.

Any thoughts?

Hiking with Guns

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    Guns while hiking.

I would say that I would carry one while hiking. I carry one to the toilet, to the in-laws for dinner, to the gas station and at least 2 while hunting. I don't see any reason to change that now. Once you get used do having one, about half of the anti carrying arguement goes straight out the window.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I'd be more inclined to carry more than one firearm on the trail, as my 9mm just doesn't have the adequate ballistics to take out larger game. Is that more to carry? Sure... but I rather be tired than dead.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I carry one some times, some times I don't. I just carry because I want to, for fun not for hunting and I don't need one for little game and another one for bigger game. If there is game in season and I want to hunt it, I won't be hiking. If game is not in season there's no reason to carry guns for them.

kevinj110

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    home
    I always carried a .38 taurus revolver with me was never a problem. Was always more for my peace of mind I guess.

Cain71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Columbus
    Always carry a gun,the methheads are using public ground to due their bidding and if you run into these nutz you will wish you had your gun. was out in hoosier national this summer,behind Story In,and had some real winners approach my self and son while fishing,gun was not concealed and just the look of holstered weapon they went elsewhere.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I've always carried, regardless of where I was. Never had any problems. All you need to remember in Indiana is that state parks are OK, Nat'l are not (until after the first of the year).

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Personally I think hiking is the perfect situation in which a person might need a firearm. Lets face it, there will not be anyone else there to help you. The problem is knowing where it is legal to carry the gun. Currently National Parks and Wildlife Areas and Corp of Engineers Lakes are a NO. This eliminates a lot of fishing and hunting opportunites for me if I decide to carry a defensive arm. Yes, this really ticks me off.

DaveD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Greencastle
    Hiking I OC my 8 shot Taurus 357, a little more bang than my 9mm, besides it looks like a cannon. :dunno: First rd a snake load, next 7 158 gr HP. Never know when you may need to stop something bigger than a snake!

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Yup sure do. I've always got one of my 45's on me anywhere legal. And if I were to be somewhere there is a possiblity for dangerous game other than just humans, my 8 shot 357 will be in a shoulder holster loaded up with Hornaday LeverRevolution ammo.

caneman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Lagrange County
    Too old and stoved up to hike anymore but I used to always carry something for 2 legged varmints. 20 years ago I had a couple of young tough guys approach me when I took a .25 Bauer out of my pocket. One said "you think you can hurt anything with that". When I said he could find out they ambled off elsewhere. But they did leave.

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Too old and stoved up to hike anymore but I used to always carry something for 2 legged varmints. 20 years ago I had a couple of young tough guys approach me when I took a .25 Bauer out of my pocket. One said "you think you can hurt anything with that". When I said he could find out they ambled off elsewhere. But they did leave.

This is one of the main reasons i would around here. Seems to be too many incidents like this happening. Hell even the Monon isnt safe anymore.

ddenny5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Some where in the USA
    Always carry a gun,the methheads are using public ground to due their bidding and if you run into these nutz you will wish you had your gun. was out in hoosier national this summer,behind Story In,and had some real winners approach my self and son while fishing,gun was not concealed and just the look of holstered weapon they went elsewhere.

I always carry while hiking. I carry my XDm because of the high capacity. I want plenty of ammo on the trail. You are right about the the methheads. They go out into the woods and do drugs and are not happy when someone crosses their path.

HD_darla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    i will deffinaitly be carrying when i hike (when i get my ltch!!!!) i would not want to risk being in the woods alone with just my little girl friend and run across the wrong people with no help

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I've been carrying my cap and ball revolvers a lot, I'm really A LOT, lately and the Ruger really feels dialed in now but it's about deer season so I'm switching over to 44 mag. S&W 629 or my Redhawk. Mostly the Smith because it's stainless and easy to clean, but I'll be bench testing them both over the next few days.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Always. For 2 legged creatures first. 4 legged second.

Hiking in Florida was more dangerous than here, snakes are not an issue. You can avoid them and if you can't, well it's too late in most cases, lol. Panthers and wild hogs were the main concerns. Hogs were a true danger, get anywhere near a mother hogs nest and it's go time!

I can't imagine a time where I wouldn't want some sort of firearm. Even if I was into ultralight backpacking.

Has anyone read the Right Answer section of the link? Good stuff there, I hope the anti-gun people read it.

Top Bottom