• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Mine is stored in airtight storage, no exposure to moisture and temperature only varies plus or minus 5 degrees. Just burned a small amount of Bullseye because I didn't want it around and it was still fine. I bought it about 1980.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I guess I need to empty the little bit remaining in my hopper since I am in the sizing/decap phase right now.

Other than having powder in my hopper during loading rounds, I keep everything else in it's original containers.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I read that too. Not sure but maybe it's a sales pitch. But properly stored it should last many years
    I'm using 24 yo powder and 20 year old primers for the 338 Lapua Magnum. Shooting slightly over .5" at 100yds with it in my son's Sako model 85LR. It's definitely a matter of how it's stored no moisture or air and around 60 degrees or cooler it will last a long time.

Terry4570

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    N.A. IN.
    Their is a very good write up in the Jan. Gun's & Ammo about temperature effects and storeage on gun powder and life of the powder .

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I saw a guy on YouTube load some H110 from a metal can looked like it was from the 1950s. Then loaded some new H110 in the same type brass same primers same bullets. He then went out and fired the rounds thru a chronograph.
    Basically the same velocities and no failures. So stored properly I guess 70 years or more.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    The question is what is normal? Garage, high or low temp range, humidity. /We know that properly stored poeder and ammo from WW2 still functions.

And THERE IT IS!...

Layman's terms for 'Normal' would be household temps, humidity levels.
    Only an idiot collects random propellants (EXPLOSIVES!) in a home from a few dozen pounds to a few hundred pounds...
    Quantity determines hazard level, but some people don't connect those dots.

Ammunition manufacturers use earth sheltered bunkers to control temperature,
    And man made floors, leak controls, ventilation to control humidity.

As in NOT an idiot using a damp/high humidity root cellar to store propellants in.
    Propellants aren't vegetables, don't need humidity to preserve propellants.

"Proper Storage" also means not blowing the house (or neighbors houses) up in the event of ignition/fire.

Sealed, no oxygen (replaced with inert gas), well sealed containers isn't what you find in the common reloader's stash of propellants.
    Usually nearly all containers are open, which oxygen starts the clock, even if they keep it at reasonable temp & humidity.

Those WWII stockpiles everyone is fond of pointing out, were in well sealed cans with oxygen removed, low temp & moisture environment...
    Or they wouldn't be 'Surplus',
    They would be dangerous decomposing/corroded crap.

As for 'BoobTube' videos...
    I'm sure it's entertaining, but not exactly evidence that would stand up in court,
    While the manufacturers & military have it figured out, without having to question validity of 'claims'.

I do a few (million) brass every year,
    I had to ask actual professionals how to keep things from corroding in Indiana humidity (around August, the air you wear).
    The answer was pretty simple, remove oxygen & moisture, and that does work quite well.

HOW *YOU* do it is up to you, but I use sealed containers and inert gasses that don't carry moisture.
    Same way that "WWII Surplus" was stored...

The same containers, kept dry and earth sheltered work for propellants, primers the same way.
    Call it 'Geothermal' temp control so it might connect the dots to a few people.

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    The question is what is normal? Garage, high or low temp range, humidity. /We know that properly stored poeder and ammo from WW2 still functions.
    It's in the article. What feels comfortable to a human being the same for smokeless powder. I try to keep mine between 50-70 degrees year round. Same for primers. So far I've had good luck.

CharlieE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2020
    Indianapolis
    OK folks, you are reading my first post although I signed up a few months ago. I thought I would tell you about my powder burning experience.

Years ago, I used to shoot a lot and used a lot of various types of pistol and rifle cartridges. On the salary of a guy in the USAF, I couldn't afford to buy and shoot new ammo. Therefore, I started to reload my used brass and could shoot for MUCH less. I purchased my first S&W .38 SPL in approximately 1966 and started with a Lee Loader. I quit reloading and shooting in approximately 1995. At that time I was casting, sizing & lubing bullets as well as reloading the spent brass which made shooting costs at about two to three cents per shot.

Since all of my equipment has been in storage for the last twenty-five years, I decided that it was time to get rid of the old powder. On the brick walk that leads into my yard barn, I laid out a bead of powder about 3" wide, 1" thick and 6' long. Then set the remaining powder back and lit the end of the stretch of powder. No problem, it reacted as it always had in the past. After the burn, I repeated the process with the same results. Actually, that was the stupid part but I got away with it that time. I poured the second strip of powder on top of the previously burned area! I was about three feet into the third pour when everything auto ignited! There was either a glowing ember or a hot brick that ignited the remaining powder! There was no explosion but every bit of remaining powder burned in about 3 – 4 seconds and was extremely hot.

My burns were first and second degree to my hands and right side of my face. My hands and right ear got the only second degree burns. I destroyed a pair of sunglasses but they saved my eyes.

All will be well as everything is progressing nicely albeit not as fast as I would like. I am looking forward to playing golf this spring if my right hand heals enough. ️‍♂️ ⛳

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    OK folks, you are reading my first post although I signed up a few months ago. I thought I would tell you about my powder burning experience.

Years ago, I used to shoot a lot and used a lot of various types of pistol and rifle cartridges. On the salary of a guy in the USAF, I couldn't afford to buy and shoot new ammo. Therefore, I started to reload my used brass and could shoot for MUCH less. I purchased my first S&W .38 SPL in approximately 1966 and started with a Lee Loader. I quit reloading and shooting in approximately 1995. At that time I was casting, sizing & lubing bullets as well as reloading the spent brass which made shooting costs at about two to three cents per shot.

Since all of my equipment has been in storage for the last twenty-five years, I decided that it was time to get rid of the old powder. On the brick walk that leads into my yard barn, I laid out a bead of powder about 3" wide, 1" thick and 6' long. Then set the remaining powder back and lit the end of the stretch of powder. No problem, it reacted as it always had in the past. After the burn, I repeated the process with the same results. Actually, that was the stupid part but I got away with it that time. I poured the second strip of powder on top of the previously burned area! I was about three feet into the third pour when everything auto ignited! There was either a glowing ember or a hot brick that ignited the remaining powder! There was no explosion but every bit of remaining powder burned in about 3 – 4 seconds and was extremely hot.

My burns were first and second degree to my hands and right side of my face. My hands and right ear got the only second degree burns. I destroyed a pair of sunglasses but they saved my eyes.

All will be well as everything is progressing nicely albeit not as fast as I would like. I am looking forward to playing golf this spring if my right hand heals enough. ️‍♂️ ⛳

Sorry to hear that. OK now?

I took some burns from propellants, but not like yours.
    I saw a friend bent over messing with something when I drove in, so I went to see.
    Just about the time I stepped in front of him, other side of what looked like an ant hill, the powder ignited.
    I learned about the synthetic content in my socks, pants and got a face full of burning crap that removed moustache and eyebrow hairs (not entirely, but enough to be noticed).

It's REALLY acidic smelling when it gets into sinuses and lungs, and it hangs around a while, took 3 or 4 days stop coughing it up and smelling it.

I don't recommend using 3 pounds of propellants to remove that pesky nose hair!

CharlieE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I thought you might like to see pictures when I was still in the hospital.

Attachments

• R-H Palm.jpg
      R-H Palm.jpg
      1.6 MB · Views: 2
    • R-H Back.jpg
      R-H Back.jpg
      1.5 MB · Views: 2
    • Face.jpg
      Face.jpg
      359.4 KB · Views: 2
    Top Bottom