• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    What are the best sources for finding the fair value of guns?
    I've got a couple that just sit in the safe and have been thinking about selling to fund something else but whenever I've sold a gun in the past, I always wonder if I let it go too cheap.
    So where do y'all go to find pricing info?

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I use a combination of resources to get in the ballpark. Here are just a few ideas...
    • Log into GunBroker and search for COMPLETED sales of similar firearm. It's important to look at COMPLETED sales and not just asking prices on items that haven't sold yet.
    • Determine what buying the firearm new would cost (if possible). Unless your gun is collectable/rare, it should probably not be priced above current retail pricing on a new one.
    • Check out INGO for similar items in the classifieds. This can help you determine where it needs to be priced, if you want it to move fairly quickly.
    p.s. Add-ons or modifications don't necessarily increase the value of your gun to others. You might consider removing accessories that can be sold separately. Modifications that can't be undone, could lower value.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I think hammerd13 nailed it. I would add pay attention to the number of bids on the completed auctions. Also remember that is a national sales venue. If you are selling locally the market is greatly reduced.

My rule of thumb is if something is truly NIB, maybe unfired, I may pay up to 90% of what I could buy it for new. If it's something common in good condition, minimum 20% below cost new.

Of course I have violated this rule repeatedly.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Gunbroker is probably 125% more than you'll expect to get anywhere. I wouldn't count on selling anything if you list in classifieds here for that price. I'd find a LGS you trust and go there first for true market conditions. I played around the a membership to gun value sites; I didn't find them to be all that useful.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I use a combination of resources to get in the ballpark. Here are just a few ideas...
    • Log into GunBroker and search for COMPLETED sales of similar firearm. It's important to look at COMPLETED sales and not just asking prices on items that haven't sold yet.
    • Determine what buying the firearm new would cost (if possible). Unless your gun is collectable/rare, it should probably not be priced above current retail pricing on a new one.
    • Check out INGO for similar items in the classifieds. This can help you determine where it needs to be priced, if you want it to move fairly quickly.
    p.s. Add-ons or modifications don't necessarily increase the value of your gun to others. You might consider removing accessories that can be sold separately. Modifications that can't be undone, could lower value.

This^

The only thing I make allowances for is Sunday evening sales at GB as those numbers tend to be high across the board.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    When logging into GB and checking for completed auctions to make sure it is the exact model AND caliber. Caliber can make a huge difference, especially on rifles.

I'd track current auctions receiving bids too. Sometimes prices can very from week to week or day to day depending on how many of that item are currently being sold.

Any add-on you leave on a firearm, is likely an add-on to the value the buyer receives, not an add-on to the price you receive.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for sharing the info everyone.
    Now I guess I need to decide if I want to sell them to fund another project or just sit on them. I can't say I ever really had sellers remorse, but I also have talked myself out of selling a few times because I think...well they don't cost anything just sitting in the safe.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Thanks for sharing the info everyone.
    Now I guess I need to decide if I want to sell them to fund another project or just sit on them. I can't say I ever really had sellers remorse, but I also have talked myself out of selling a few times because I think...well they don't cost anything just sitting in the safe.
    Pro tip... if any of them have a bayonet, remove the bayonet before you sit on them. :thumbsup:

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    If/when that happens, I think I won't be interested in selling, and the prices in any given book will be irrelevant anyway as guns will go up in value significantly and we'll be bartering, and those with guns will be in a unique negotiation position of any transaction.
    True that. I wasn't thinking apocalypse, just unreliable service, outages and such. Or reading material for an annoying bathroom with poor wifi reception.... also a back-up source of paper :D :toilet2:

But seriously, the illustrations in the book are helpful when trying to establish a condition rating on older items (i.e. 60%, 70, 80% etc). Guessing there are online sources for that too tho.

Top Bottom