• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • plowman766

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    Huntington
    When you are at a gun show are you more likely to buy off of a dealer who strikes up a conversation with you. At the fort wayne gun show last week I saw a rifle I had some interest in so I picked it up and looked at it I couldnt even get eye contact from the dealers so I sat it down walked around a little bit and came back did the same thing again got the same results and they were not busy they were just sitting there visiting with each other so I thought screw it if they dont care I dont either and walked on is it just me or do you guys like a little effort put forth from the seller ? SORRY FOR MY RAMBLING ON :):

Last edited:

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    Me personally, I don't trust anything the dealer says, because I know they're trying to sell me, and I know most of them are idiots anyway.

I feel I know most of what I need to, and I know how to learn more from reputable sources too.

I'd prefer them to just leave me alone, until I need their assistance.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    A simple "If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask" is nice.

I had one guy at the Kokomo show say, just after I picked up the first gun, and before I said a word, "I can work with you on any of those prices..." I almost said "If you're going to come down without even being asked, why not just put the lowest price on the sticker?"

urustyone

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I like to be left alone. However, a friendly nod, smile or let me know if I can assist you with anything is nice. I would not have walked away if it was exactly what I was looking for at the price I decided, up front, I was willing to pay. Anything less then the privious sentence then I am out.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    Just remember brah, that there are still a good amount of people who jumped on the bandwagon of the firearms business after Obama elected and they are sitll working. They have basically the same attitude of car salesmen. They just want paid. And that is fine, but remember there are still good dealers out there that want to help you.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Customer service is customer service - gun show or not. I friendly "How ya doin'. I'm so-n-so. Holler if you have questions" goes a long way. If two guys have what I want for similar (and reasonable) prices, I'll go back to the one that put forth some effort.

Stnmikita

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Politeness goes a long way (Hi how are you, I'm here to help if needed, etc.), pushiness however is NEVER appreciated.

Fergy35

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NE Corner of our gre
    Yeah, it's is nice to at least be acknowledged with a "How ya doin'" and "Any questions just let me know"

By the same token these guys see every slack jawed nimrod come along and fondle their merchandise, practice **** poor gun handling safety etc... so I am sure some of them are waiting for some real interest before they jump in. I think that is the completely wrong approach and I would have walked on too.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    Having worked in the customer service field most of my life and now working in a gun shop , I can see both sides of the story .
    You do need to atleast ackowledge your customers if you want to sell anything , but you do get tired of the Jackwagon that waste 2 hours of your time looking at and handling every gun you got then saying ok thanks and walking off .

:ingo:

plowman766

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    Huntington
    I understood the first time maybe not speaking but when I went back again and same results I thought to He** with you. I ended up buying a shotgun on down the line from a guy that actually acted like he cared to do business.We used to work concession stands during my daughters sporting events and every time someone would walk by my wife and I would say hello or just make a little small talk with them and a lot of people would walk on over and buy something that they probably would not have if we wouldnt have spoken to them. It seems like the art of sales has went the same way as please and thankyou I worry what the next 20 years will bring a bunch of people setting around chatting on computers :dunno:Wait a minute thats me I better get to work, end of rant Have a good day:):

JJGatesE30

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 22, 2010
    I usually don't go to gun stores/shows unless I have money to spend and I am ready to buy. For my wife and I, customer service makes the difference and I have no problem paying a little bit more to the guy/gal who makes it a good buying experiance.

That said, the "car salesman" approach, as mentioned by someone already, is as bad as no service at all. That, and the fact that some of these types (especially at shows) are NOT good with people!

Last time we were at the 1500 my mother tagged along with us. Some guy at a gun table kind of roped us in from a distance by talking with us. Fair enough, turns out they have a rifle I am slightly interested in. While I'm looking at the gun with my mother there, he starts telling us some joke and starts swearing, f--- and s--- while laughing at his own joke. Now if you swear in front of total strangers that's your own issue, but to do it while your trying to SELL something to total strangers?? I handed him the rifle and we walked away, it was funny because he started appologizing as we left.

railbug

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Noblesville
    For the most part I have had good luck at the 1500 but I don't give my money to someone that does not have much interest in taking it. I agree a "HI" works great.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Doesn't matter either way to me. Talk up a storm, don't talk. I'm there for the merchandise not socializing. If I were out for the socializing it wouldn't be in a place that was ass hole to belly button were you could barely move and have to shout to be heard.

firemedic140

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Harlan, IN
    In Ft. Wayne I like to frequent Midwest, and 21st. century booths never had a problem with either. Most there are fly by night no store front dealers. The store fronts usually have better deals.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I don't care if the dealer talks or not, If I am interested I will be the first to talk.
    If the guy has guns on the table without prices...I walk away. I figure he is just then playing the crowd, the price he tells me might be different than what he tells someone else.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    A friendly "hello" and "I'll try to answer any of your questions" along with a business card goes a long way with me. If a salesman acts like a know-it-all or gets pushy at all, he just lost a potential sale. I don't mind the dealers making a profit, but I don't want them to retire off me.

:twocents: from a guy who was in sales for several years.

Top Bottom