• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What would you do if your child was going to a slumber party?

• Total voters

No Time to Shoot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Thought I would turn this into a poll to see what everyone has to say. I have a three year old daughter, when the time comes I will go with the first option.

This was posted in the Police and Local Briefs for Fort Wayne.

Gun safety day

On Sunday, parents are urged to mark National ASK Day, asking other parents if loaded guns are where children play.

Each year, on the first day of summer, ASK encourages parents to ask whether loaded guns are around children. If the answer is yes, parents are urged to make sure the guns are locked up.

Normally I would laugh at this but given the fact that so many people that have never owned guns or been around them went out and recently purchased a firearm, this might not be such a bad idea.

I believe that anyone that has never owned or been raised around firearms should take it upon themselves to get professional training on safe handling and function of firearms when purchasing their first gun. :twocents:

I think its great that all these people went out and exercised their 2nd amendment rights, but lets not give the anti-gunners any ammo to use against us.

Proper Storage, Proper handling, and Proper Training

Last edited:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Since I'm usually carrying a pistol on my hip, maybe covered with my shirt, I usually just ask flat out, but in a conversation. I always have to meet the parents before my kids go anywhere. I wait for about 2-3 minutes into the conversation and see what they're like. Then I judge whether I should flat out ask if they have guns or offer up that I have guns. Either way I explain that my kids know the Eddie Eagle program fundementals, Stop, Don't touch, go find an Adult. If a kid comes out saying "Looky at my daddy's gun!" they are to slowly leave the room and go find an adult or phone and call me.

I also explain how I store my guns safely under lock and keypad. :D

I also always offer to bring them to the range to learn to shoot sometime. I've only had one take me up on the offer. I've also had two parents refuse to let their kids come over and play. :dunno: Oh well, my daughter can still go to their house so it's all good.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    hmmm...I've never asked about guns before. Mainly because I feel that I've taught my kids how to be responsible around guns. Also, (going quickly through the places my kids spend time) I think I've talked to all the guys about guns before anyway, so I already know how they feel about guns.

Buckaroo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    NWI
    What about Pool safety day, Trampoline safety day, or Sharp Stick safety day?

Lots of things that one needs to be mindful of when dealing with young children.

Buckaroo

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    What about Pool safety day, Trampoline safety day, or Sharp Stick safety day?

Lots of things that one needs to be mindful of when dealing with young children.

Buckaroo

Very true. But this is a gun board and didn't figure anyone would want to hear all the questions I ask.

I will say that we don't let our kids just run wild through our neighborhood. But the other day after spending the night at a friend's house, my oldest was allowed to go, just her and her friend, about 3 blocks away to a park by themselves. It's a good thing I was on my way to pick her up and she hadn't gotten far. I would have went ballistic.

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    Very true. But this is a gun board and didn't figure anyone would want to hear all the questions I ask.

I will say that we don't let our kids just run wild through our neighborhood. But the other day after spending the night at a friend's house, my oldest was allowed to go, just her and her friend, about 3 blocks away to a park by themselves. It's a good thing I was on my way to pick her up and she hadn't gotten far. I would have went ballistic.

I would have still had a talk with the supervising adult about where you are willing to allow your child to go on there own. Some one should have asked you first even if you wasnt there. just my opinion.

No Time to Shoot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne

If I understand what your saying; the friends parents let them go to the park by themselves?

I would have been a little hot to say the least! Depending on how old my daughter was.

Especially with the abundance of pedophiles around. The only ones you know of are the ones that have been caught.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    She hasn't been back, but IF she does go back I will be having a nice long talk with the friend's mom for sure...

Top Bottom