• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FNRA Scott

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    East Central Indiana
    Electronic- Changing the code on the keypad would be better. It’s easy and can be done when ever the current code has been compromised. You pick the numbers so the combo should be easier to remember.

Dial- Changing the combination would involve a call to the locksmith. Forgetting your numbers could be costly.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    Got both no problems either way. I like the electronic for the fact you can have more than one code so I can allow access to my daughter to get her guns but with the poke of a button I can also deny access too.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I like electronic. Its much faster and easier to access. Plus if you're going to be gone for an extended period of time, pop the face plate off and store it separate. Even if someone knew your combination, unless they bring a face plate from home they're still stuck.

Just keep a spare 9v. They last several years, even with routine access, but you know how Murphy is.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Have both... I like the electronic the best. Just change the battery when you change your smoke detector batteries, and you will be fine.

I can open my electronic lock in pitch black... I could never do that with a dial.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I don't know about everyone else's locks but I have a red/orange light on my face plate that flashes if the battery is getting low. Assuming that didn't malfunction it seems like a fool proof way to not lock yourself out. There's also a key that you can use to gain access just in case you're gone for a week or so and the battery dies.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    In my expert opinion stay with a dial. Top quality electronic locks (those costing upwards of $1000.00) are fine. They are well protected against transient discharge and stray RF. Most electronic locks that come mounted on gun safes are susceptible to various issues. I have replaced many non functioning electronic locks with standard 3 wheel mechanical locks. Many times the cost just to open the container was more than the container was worth.

z96Cobra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Southeast Indiana
    I had an electronic lock safe that I bought at Sam's Club. Winchester brand safe. About 2 weeks after I bought it, it quit working. I would enter my code and would get the green light, could hear the internals working to unlock, but it remained locked. Luckily, after many tries, it opened. I removed all of my stuff and hauled it back for a refund. Bought a much nicer Fat Boy Jr. with mechanical S&G locks and couldn't be happier. The Winchester was made in China, but I'd bought a USA made Winchester (with S&G locks) a few years before at the same Sam's Club, it still works great.

Whatever you buy, stick with a high quality lock.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I prefer a mechanical dial.

1) I had a small handgun vault with electronic lock that quit working. I had to use the key that I kept in the big safe to open it. I don't like the idea of having a combination lock and needing a key in case it fails. Needing a key defeats the purpose of having a combination lock. That is why the key to the handgun box was in the other safe.

2) Batteries in the programmable thermostat always died on the coldest day of the year. I replaced it with an old dial type. Requires more effort to turn the temp up and down but I don't wake up cold and wondering if I have any spare batteries of the correct size.

Personal preference, but I like the no batteries approach. :twocents:

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I like dials.
    I like mechanical things.

I don't like having to replace batteries or worry about a board going bad on the safe.
    I also have my carry piece(s) out of the safe so getting in it in a hurry is not a concern of mine.

BHOWPE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Why I like my mechanical dial safe:
    1) I can lock the dial with a key when away on vaction to make it tougher to defeat.
    2) While at home I can dial the first or second numbers to reduce emergency access time. I have a Fenix LD20 flashlight and a headlamp in my nightstand so seeing well enough to dial the final numbers in the middle of the night are not a problem.
    3) My dial will work if an electromagnetic pulse (EMP) fries all electronics. Good luck opening your electronic safe lock if that occurs.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I prefer an electronic lock for the ease of getting into the safe, and changing the code in the event it becomes compromised.

Ft. Knox offers a redundant lock system on their safes. It gives you the ease of an electronic lock, but also the ability to use a dial in case the keypad craps out on you for any reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQSsllK-d5c&

Bikerdad61

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Sullivan
    I like my Cannon with electronic lock. As others said change the battery every 6 months and it's been good to go. Fast and easy access even in darkness.

Top Bottom