• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gdunn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    I feel like I will want to get something nice, but the ones like ft Knox are thousands....I seem to be leaning toward the liberty. They seem to be quality and at a better price point

Liberty are also well made safes. Most gun safes I run into in the field can be drilled open with a standard high speed drill bit. Liberty Safe utilize a harder then typical barrier material (aka hardplate) and will melt a standard drill bit. I've burnt up 2 or 3 quality bits, that were specifically designed for safe drilling, opening a Liberty Safe. Almost all major safe manufacturers use either S&G (sargent and greenleaf) or LaGard combination locks. Lock quality is fairly similar IMO.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I do factory warranty repair work for most major safe manufacturers and Sargent & Greenleaf, all electronic locks have a higher failure rate then mechanical locks. Not just cheap ones. This is why the US DOD requires class five armory safes to be equiped with mechanical locks. The time for a failure isn't when you are trying to hand out weapons during an attack.
    I sold safes for many years and listened to those who sold safes longer than I. They all recommended the electronic lock over the tumbler lock and said that they had few complaints from customers who bought safes with S&G e-locks. I have been very happy with mine, as well. BTW, I own a Browning safe with a tumbler lock, as well. The e-lock is the bomb.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I do factory warranty repair work for most major safe manufacturers and Sargent & Greenleaf, all electronic locks have a higher failure rate then mechanical locks. Not just cheap ones. This is why the US DOD requires class five armory safes to be equiped with mechanical locks. The time for a failure isn't when you are trying to hand out weapons during an attack.

Having been involved with "Government specifications" as an Engineer, if it has been specified by the DOD - I would buy something else!

I have absolutely no respect for the product specs set by the Feds, they are irrelevant in the best cases and downright stupid in most others. Rarely do they really make any sense to the actual use.

Just like the model T motors approved for light aircraft, 99% of the engines used in automobiles today are more reliable, lighter, more powerful and far more fuel efficient (and run on non-leaded gasoline) - the cost to get any approved by the FFA is so expensive no one can afford to use a new engine! With very few modifications - Dual ignition, redundant fuel system and computer etc., they would revolutionize aircraft. But NO the Model T engine is best. HAH.

bowtie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    South Bend
    I just purchased my first safe from dunhams. Its a SAFARI by canon safe. Its a 36 gun fire proof safe and they have a special on them right now for 699.99.

You have to realize also if you cant bolt it down due to say apartment or landlord would flip out if you bolted it down, it needs to have weight to it.

Also my case for example, yes its a 36 gun safe, i have a few handguns and about 6 long guns and a good amount of ammo for each and its about full. So you would need to consider the space you would need for ammo and valuable accessories along with your guns for a safe.

Also buy bigger than what you need right now. If your always purchasing your going to outgrow something that just fits your needs right now.

Last but not least, pay the delivery fee for the safe! Its worth it

gdunn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    I sold safes for many years and listened to those who sold safes longer than I. They all recommended the electronic lock over the tumbler lock and said that they had few complaints from customers who bought safes with S&G e-locks. I have been very happy with mine, as well. BTW, I own a Browning safe with a tumbler lock, as well. The e-lock is the bomb.

People prefer elocks because they like the simplicity of dialing their safe like the are dialing a telephone. For some reason many people can't wrap their minds around 4 times left, three times right, two times left, right to stop. For warranty repair work I easily drill open 5 times more elock equiped safes then mechanical combos. Probably more.. it was last summer sometime last mechanical lock I've had to drill. I've opened dozens of elocks in that time. Not discounting your opinion. Just saying, I've been doing warranty repair work in this field for approaching 20 years.

gdunn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Having been involved with "Government specifications" as an Engineer, if it has been specified by the DOD - I would buy something else!

I have absolutely no respect for the product specs set by the Feds, they are irrelevant in the best cases and downright stupid in most others. Rarely do they really make any sense to the actual use.

Just like the model T motors approved for light aircraft, 99% of the engines used in automobiles today are more reliable, lighter, more powerful and far more fuel efficient (and run on non-leaded gasoline) - the cost to get any approved by the FFA is so expensive no one can afford to use a new engine! With very few modifications - Dual ignition, redundant fuel system and computer etc., they would revolutionize aircraft. But NO the Model T engine is best. HAH.

Being presently involved with the government specifications of locking systems, I will respectfully disagree on this matter. You are likely correct in relation to other projects and programs. I have heard some stories that leave a person shaking their head in disbelief.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    People prefer elocks because they like the simplicity of dialing their safe like the are dialing a telephone. For some reason many people can't wrap their minds around 4 times left, three times right, two times left, right to stop. For warranty repair work I easily drill open 5 times more elock equiped safes then mechanical combos. Probably more.. it was last summer sometime last mechanical lock I've had to drill. I've opened dozens of elocks in that time. Not discounting your opinion. Just saying, I've been doing warranty repair work in this field for approaching 20 years.
    If one needs to get a gun quickly in a stressful situation, the e-lock rules.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I picked up a new safe 2 years ago. The door by its self is 100 pounds. We had to jack the door off and still had 700 pounds to deal with. It took 4 of us and an appliance cart to get it into the house and into our walk in closet. I have told the people around me if they see any one taking it out of the house to call the police because I will never have it moved. I will just buy an other one if I ever move. This thing is a beast.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I was in the same situation. My advise is to maybe sell off what you are not using at the moment until you are in a more perminant location. Good safes are not cheap or light weight. I bought a good one and had to move it within a year to another house. Big mistake but managed to get it done with a lot of help. I would downsize my collection before I bought a safe. Make sure you have enough insurance also because most companies put a cap on firearms and jewlery type items. Check out Superior Safe or Fort Knox.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    I'll just toss in my two cents. Dakota makes safes that come in pieces and you assemble. This may be good for moving. Easier to take 6 small boxes up stairs than 1 huge box. Your friends that help you move would agree.

Saw one in a store once that looked solid, beyond that I have no personal experience though.

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    I chose an American Security safe based on a recommendation from my nephew, who is a locksmith. Solid, reasonable pricing, and configurable. Works fine for me.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    Johnson Safe.......because if you're serious about security, the one you have now is just merely a rental until you call Jeff. It's worth a call to see what he might have just "sitting around".

Top Bottom