• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Armed Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Indianapolis
    If a person wanted to make a private purchase of a gun from someone they did not know, how does one make sure the gun is not reported stolen or possibly used in a crime before the purchase.

For conversational sake, I buy a gun from someone I do not know. I carry the gun as an EDC. I get stopped by the police, and just for the sake of this conversation, I inform the officer I am armed. The LEO runs the serial number on the gun and is informed it has been reported stolen.

Do I go to jail?

What can I do to avoid this type of situation? Can I call the police and have them "run" the serial number before I purchase it?

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Place a piece of black tape over the serial number on the gun. Should this be purple? I'll let you decide!

Alternatively, have the seller sign a bill of sale if you wish. Probably wouldn't keep you from being arrested, but it might keep you from being culpable.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    you can ask an officer to run the numbers....I've had friends do it for me after I've acquired weapons which I wasn't sure about....and I lucked out, they were fine.......BUT if it does come back to the officer as reported stolen or whatever, they are required to confiscate it from you....

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    If you're considering buying a gun that is priced WAY lower than you've seen anywhere else .... don't do it. Unless you know that the person is just needing quick drug money and is obviously drunk or high at the time of sale.

Top Bottom