• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • demmons

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    Well my wife has decided to start carrying. Which is a great relief to me, she can shoot which scares me. :) She will most likely be carrying in her purse. My only concern with this is she is more comfortable with a mid-size auto and I would rather see her carry a concealed hammer .38. My reasoning being with a wheel gun pull trigger go bang very seldom do you get a failure to fire, where as an auto there is a greater pobability of mechanical failure. My fear being the firearm getting lost, gunked, and or otherwise rendered a paper weight in the bottom of her purse. Do the carry purses render this a moot point? And if so (can't belive I'm about to ask this) are they avaible in fasionable styles. (shutter).

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    People who know recommend Corneredcat.com in a situation like this.

I'll get down to brass tacks, here's my humble opinion:

Not trying to be rude, but I am guessing she's an adult woman, so she needs to come to these decisions by her own reading and thinking, not be fed the answers by someone else. I am sure she values your opinion, but she won't truly own the decision if she is force fed it. The best thing you can do is support her and steer her to reputable sources to help her decide on a gun, holster, etc.

1) Purse carry is inferior to belt carry. If she insists on purse carry, it would be best for her to still use a holster inside the purse. Pocket types come to mind. Once she reads and understands the arguments against purse carry, she will be able to make an informed decision about IWB v. OWB v. purse.

2) The gun she picks out may not be right, but I doubt your first gun was "right" either. Again, nobody wants to be told what to do, wear, eat, or carry. Education is the key. Maybe she doesn't understand the liability that comes with a semiauto. Maybe she does, and just judges it differently than you. There are reliable semiautos, and many people carry them. In this process you might find that she isn't the only one changing her opinion on firearms. :)

3) If she can shoot a midsized auto comfortably, that is a huge benefit over carrying an airweight or even steel frame snubby. She needs to not be scared of the recoil and able to shoot it well. I'd say its pretty darn good that she'd consider a mid sized gun, as it will be a lot easier to handle than a pocket rocket.

It's hard to do, but best if you can let her come to these things by her own decision. Corned cat is a good place to start. Best of luck to you both.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    We have a FAQ that should answer some of your questions. I agree on the purse carry being less preferrable, but there are options to make it safer. Check out the Tactical Taco (Otherwise known as the VanGuard, named after our very own Shay VanVlymen)

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Best bet is to let her pick her gun, unless you let her pick yours :)

Carry somewhere on the body is way better than carry in purse, day planner, backpack, etc., but women's clothing doesn't alway cooperate, and women don't aways want to wear clothes that will conceal a gun.

Galco has a nice selection of women's purses, as well as other picks for women. Other companies do also, I'm sure.

Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    A conversation I had the other day..

Wife - "What's that Black Clip on your belt??"

Me - "My Holster, why??"

Wife - "But your belt is BROWN!!!"

And that's when the fight began.. :)

Seriously, though, Joe's right with the "Fashion" idea. Some women are much more willing to bend their thoughts of appearance to carry than others..

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    My reasoning being with a wheel gun pull trigger go bang very seldom do you get a failure to fire, where as an auto there is a greater pobability of mechanical failure.

Not in my expreince. Neither of the auto guns I carry have ever had a failure of any kind (that wasn't purposely induced by dummy rounds being use for training), and I would bet that if you sat down with 2000 rounds and fired them through a Glock 19 or an XD-9 and Smith 442, I'd have to clean the 442 long before I would have to clean the Glock/XD in order to keep the gun functional.

My fear being the firearm getting lost, gunked, and or otherwise rendered a paper weight in the bottom of her purse. Do the carry purses render this a moot point? And if so (can't belive I'm about to ask this) are they avaible in fasionable styles. (shutter).

Carry purses have a built in holster between the two halves of the purse, this will keep the gunk out, and you're not digging around in the purse to find a loose gun. Many have a steel cable running through the strap (some crooks have taken to cutting the purse strap, so they can steal purses that women have slug over their heads).

I don't like carry purses for two reasons. 1) Thieves grab purses; now you've armed him and disarmed yourself. 2) Women set their purses down and go about their daily routine/social event, so they have effectively disarmed themselves and they've created a safety hazard for their children by leaving a loaded gun unattended.

The biggest argument women have for using a purse is that they don't want to wear the styles necessary/change their wardrobe for concelament... and arguing the point is usually fruitless; I would rather they have a gun in their purse than no gun.

Last edited:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    3) If she can shoot a midsized auto comfortably, that is a huge benefit over carrying an airweight or even steel frame snubby. She needs to not be scared of the recoil and able to shoot it well. I'd say its pretty darn good that she'd consider a mid sized gun, as it will be a lot easier to handle than a pocket rocket.

That's a big +1. Also Glock 19 and 15+1 beats 5 .38's any day.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    You may be wondering why everyone says purse carry would not be their first choice. Off-body carry in general is less preferred, but purse carry is even worse (IMO) than most forms of off body carry for the following reasons that come to mind:

1.) Anyone who has ever watched TV or movies knows women carry guns in their purses. Tactically, not good. (One of the few things TV/movies represent accurately, btw.)
    2.) If someone steals/snatches her purse, they now have her gun too.
    3.) Most people doing purse carry don't do it properly (i.e. by getting a purse designed for it or using a pocket holster in the purse), hence the gun ends up all dirty, dinged, and gooey - and may not be reliable when you need it. If not done properly, may also end up rummaging around in the purse for the gun at the worst time. Plus, I've never seen a "carry" purse that didn't have it's drawbacks. Do you want a strap with cables in it around your wife's neck when some big guy decides to snatch the purse (and drag her down the street in the process)?
    4.) Has she EVER forgotten her purse anywhere? If she's going to purse carry she can't EVER do that again. Can she guarantee that? 'Nuff said.

At the same time, I understand why this form of carry is attractive to women. It's convenient and comfortable. And frankly, many of the methods of carry out there don't fit the female anatomy very well. BUT, if one gets creative, one can exploit a woman's unique anatomical "features" as well.

I'd let my wife pick her own guns, but set reliability standards they must meet.

Update: looks like similar material was posted whilst I composed this.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Re purse carry;
    Sure, it has its drawbacks. But every carry method has drawbacks. If you are looking for a carry method with no drawbacks, you are going to be looking for a long time. The goal is to recognize the drawbacks and try to come up with ways to work around them. The strap wire Kludge mentions is helpful. My wife carries with an extra long strap that goes over the opposite shoulder. This makes it a lot harder to grab the purse off her, and makes it less likely she will set it down.
    Definitely get a purse that's made for carry. Most have a lock on the zipper to be used when the purse is not in the immediate control of the owner. Also, they have an actual holster inside to protect the trigger guard which I believe is an essential.

Also, definitely suggest your wife check out Cornered Cat - an excellent web site for any new shooter but also has a lot of women-specific info. Covers the pros and cons of different types of handguns, different calibers, different carry methods, gun safety with kids, legal and ethical issues, etc.

homeless

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    indy
    I don't carry a purse nor do I have a lady friend right now so I will not speak on such issues. However if you buy a high quality semi auto then you wont have to worry about it for the most part. It will need to be cleaned more often and I would say go with an oil instead of a grease in this case. But if you buy a Sig, HK, Walther, CZ, S&W, FN etc it will go bang when she needs it to. Focus on guns ment to be in combat, ment to run through the mud, take a beating and still kill bad guys. Your life is one thing, Your wifes life is another. Do not go cheap.

I have a sig 225 P6 that spends most of its life in the center console of my car or in a ruck sack. I carry it when I can't have a gun on me or when I am in the woods. It was a german police gun and has lots of holster wear, it isn't pretty, I have scratched it and beat it. I use it to practice transitioning to a back up, and have actually tossed it in the mud multiple times. It gets cleaned either once a month if it has just been in the car, or after any time it goes in my hand or in a bag. I actually trust it over my wheel gun to do the job.

demmons

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    Thanks for the info and opinions everyone. Basically exactly what I was thinking but it is good to hear it from others. I am not overly excited about her purse carrying for the very same reasons many of you said, but that having been said I would much rather her purse carry opposed to not carry. She already carries her purse across her chest and under the arm so that wouldn't be a change for her. Again thanks for the info.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    My best friends wife has a purse that has been made specially for concealed carry and in my opinion it is a very nice option for a women that does not have the body or ability to carry concealed.

Long strap with 2 thin wire cables in it to go over her head to the opposite shoulder with a internal middle compartment separate from the main purse to protect it from the regular purse contents. Her hand can easily be slid into the concealment compartment to hold onto while walking but still be discrete while making a fashion statement for her.

Comfortably holds a midsized semi auto
    but she loves this Skky she found years ago, I didn't like it, but have seen her shoot about 700 rounds out of it with not one failure to fire and a couple of stovepipes due to limp wristing it.

If and when I can ever get my wife to get a permit and start carrying, she has said she would prefer to get this purse.

demmons

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    My best friends wife has a purse that has been made specially for concealed carry and in my opinion it is a very nice option for a women that does not have the body or ability to carry concealed.

Long strap with 2 thin wire cables in it to go over her head to the opposite shoulder with a internal middle compartment separate from the main purse to protect it from the regular purse contents. Her hand can easily be slid into the concealment compartment to hold onto while walking but still be discrete while making a fashion statement for her.

Comfortably holds a midsized semi auto
    but she loves this Skky she found years ago, I didn't like it, but have seen her shoot about 700 rounds out of it with not one failure to fire and a couple of stovepipes due to limp wristing it.

If and when I can ever get my wife to get a permit and start carrying, she has said she would prefer to get this purse.

Any idea as to brand or where she got it???

Thanks

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Any idea as to brand or where she got it???

Thanks
    No, but I'll call
    call.gif
    her and try and find out for you.

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    You have recieved tons of good advice here, but may I add for her consideration, if this gun is to be carried for personal defense, and if she is not military or police trained please imagine the life or death situation and how she may react and then decide what type (revolver, semi auto) is best for her! Example: Un-controllable shaking, eyes watering, knees buckling, confusion etc. I am not saying to consider these reactions because she is a woman, many average citizens when confronted with a defensive situation with a gun including men might have these symtoms. These reactions may make a simple to use revolver the best tool or a semi-auto may be called for, just another thing to consider?:dunno:

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I can't believe I'm just now reading this thread. I am seriously failing at my job here.

1) Moving this to the Women & Firearms forum as soon as I get done posting.

2) What you want your wife to carry is practically irrelevant. If my husband came home with a wheel gun for me to carry, I'd never carry it. I haven't found a revolver yet that I enjoy shooting, which means I won't practice with it, I won't be good with it, and I definitely won't remember how to use it when the time comes.

3) You AND your wife should read these threads:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-buying_a_gun_for_the_women_in_your_life.html
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...20-useful_websites_for_female_gun_owners.html
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/women_and_firearms/17126-carry_suggestions_for_lady.html
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._s_the_best_way_to_carry_without_a_purse.html
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/women_and_firearms/9420-holster_talk_on_youtube.html

4) What everyone said about off-body carry is true. I'm one of the women who don't carry because she's not willing to change her wardrobe. When I do carry, it's IWB with a Raven Phantom holster, which does a pretty darn fantastic job of concealing my firearm. I *did* buy a purse with a built-in holster. It does NOT hold my SIG P250. If she decides go this route, make absolutely sure HER gun fits IN the holster and in the purse. She absolutely cannot sit it down and walk away from it, which is primarily why I don't carry at work. We're a pretty trusting group at my store, so we don't lock our personal lockers. No way I'd leave a gun in my purse at work without starting to lock my locker.

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now.

demmons

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    First off thanks for moving this thread to the right location Pami.

I would never tell my wife what or how to carry, she wouldn't listen or ever become profeicent with the wepon. My concern with a carry purse was/is the gun coming in contact with other items, but it sounds like they are designed with this in mind and have a pocket espically for the firearm. I agree this mode of carrying isn't ideal, but she never goes anywhere with out her purse anyway. Again thanks for the input and help everyone.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Oh, one other things, I have dealt with women who have a hard time or are basically incapable of pulling a revolver's double action trigger. Just something else to consider, but it puts a big damper on the revo idea.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Wow.. I just re-read what I wrote... demmons: my apologies. I've been really distracted the last few days (and irritated by things completely unrelated to this particular thread), so I'm sorry that post came across so brief and so harsh. Bullet points help me organize my own thoughts, but they certainly don't come across as nice and friendly, do they? :)

I'm glad you see the wisdom in not telling your wife what or how to carry. OTH, if you're a guy who likes to try out new guns and then turn around and sell them for something different, you might give that a try and see how it works out. :D

On the purse carry -- just make sure if she is determined to do it that you get a purse designed specifically with a holster pocket to keep the gun separate from the other items in the purse and that her firearm fits easily into that pocket.

Mine is a leather purse with a zipper in the side (just below where the strap attaches to the bag part) that has a removable holster that velcros in place in the pocket. For a smaller gun than what I have this is probably pretty darn convenient. For my P250, it's a study in patience and frustration. I can tell you that if I ever needed my gun in a hurry, it'd be better left in the purse and used as a padded brick to hit my attacker with. If I had time to slip it out, maybe it'd be useful. If I have that much time, hopefully I'm calling 911 with my other hand. Moral of the story: make sure her chosen firearm actually FITS in the purse. Here's a photo of mine; you can see the P250 sticking out the end on the left side of the photo.

lrg-403-sigp250-holster4.jpg

I do hope you'll take the time to at least glance through those other threads I pointed out, and definitely point your wife in the direction of the Cornered Cat website (clicky: Cornered Cat).

BerettaBarbie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Carmel, IN
    I agree with what others have said, purse carry is not the "best" option. I used to carry in my purse but found it to be cumbersome, and like you said "a paper weight" type situation. I have a few personal experience tips for your wife.

1. If you insist on carrying in a purse, get a purse with an inside pocket and clip a holster too it.

2. Carry on your body if you can

3. take your purse to the range, and practice drawing and firing. THIS IS IMPORTANT

Top Bottom