• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    A good friend of mine has a brand new model 1495 pelican case that he's selling me for VERY cheap. Ive been needing a lockable case anyways for my NFA stuff and this will work perfect. Only problem is that it doesnt have foam in it. I like the thought of having the foam cut out in the shape of my gun/suppressors so they dont move around inside. I know the pick and pluck foam sucks and falls apart so Im wondering if I could fill the case with Great Stuff Foam and then cut and dremel out the exact shapes of what I need. Ive never done anything with great stuff except shoot cans of it so I dont really know if it will work. Will it be all crumbley and little pieces get all over the place, or will it be too hard?

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I'm gonna say it will be to hard to offer good protection, and after repeted use it will start to crumble on the edges. Leading to little pieces getting on everything.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    You could do that, but I would suggest against it. Expanding foam has a tendency to attract water, and hold it.

Moisture and firearms rarely do well together, so I would say NO!

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Thanks, I was kind of afraid all that.

Where would one get good foam to put in a case like that? And can it be bought in different hardnesses so I could get a stiffer foam to cut out the shapes in it, or would I be better off just using the egg flat looking stuff?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Take the measurements of the case and call Americase, Inc in Waxahachie Texas. They have hard foam that does not hold moisture that they use for their cases. Most of their cases are velvet or suede upholstered, but they have some foam lined cases and will sell just the foam. A case like yours would generally have a layer of soft foam, a layer of hard foam that gets cut to shape, holding everything in place, and a layer of soft. It works out very well. They have a website.

Top Bottom