• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Back story:: i used to be an avid camper.i 2as in Boy Scouts until I turned 18. We went camping at least once a month, sometimes twice a month. With my family, I went camping two or three times during the summers. My ex doesn't like camping, or the outdoors, so I gave it up since we have kids together. Fast forward, we are split and I want to start doing short hikedand camping trips. My goal is to build a "lightweight" bag I can grab and throw in my car to head out. What are some "necessities" that you would throw in your bag. I've got a tent and sleeping bag in there. I want to make it a dedicated bag where nothing comes out except when in use.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Id suggest a first aid kit, fire starter, compass, camp ax or saw along with a knife, life straw, and obviously some eating and cooking utensils, as well as some mres or the like.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Water, Shelter, Fire, Food, Medical, Defense/Offense, Comforts.

That's the order of priority I think in when going through lists of stuff I might want to have.

For the top few, I personally think that it is very important to have MULTIPLE way to solve the problem. Fire is an example: Firesteel, Magnesium, 2x regular lighters, storm-proof matches, and a small magnifying glass can all be placed in a pretty small container, preferably waterproof, along with some amount of tinder materials and a plumber's candle.

Water: you need halazone, a filter pump setup, cheesecloth is good to have, iodine, maybe a UV Steripen (and then commit to monitoring and maintaining your electric supply in the pack), a durable container, or preferably two, that will contain at least a liter...the other stuff goes IN the container(s).

...etc...

You get the idea.

By the time you get to defense/offense and comforts, and for some stuff, even medical, you need to be pairing down to a minimum # of solutions to the same problem. ONE firearm. ONE type of ammunition, or maybe two, depending on your choice. ONE Claymore..

-Nate

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    My goal is to build a "lightweight" bag I can grab and throw in my car to head out.

Make yourself a checklist. It is too easy to "borrow" something from the bag and not put it back. Then when you Grab and Go you may not have a critical item or did not restock something.

Crap, I forgot to restock the toilet paper.

Wifey and I went to Michigan Labor Day weekend. When getting ready to cook dinner I discovered that my lighter was missing. Of course I instantly remembered it was sitting on the counter where I was burning the end of some paracord. Packed the paracord and left the lighter. Lit the stove with a ferro rod all weekend which works (for me) but is a struggle for my wife sometimes.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    You already mentioned having a tent and sleeping bag. I don't get to camp as much as I would like but I still keep a bag mostly packed and ready. Mine is an old ALICE pack with frame. Here is what I keep in my pack...rain poncho, T.P., hatchet, folding saw, magnesium fire starter, 1 road flare (think 20 minute match for damp wood), candle, P38 can opener, life straw, fixed blade knife, multi tool (leatherman type), gloves (jersey and leather), stocking cap, 1qt canteen with metal cup, first aid kit, small trowel shovel, para cord, compass, signaling mirror, lighter, waterproof matches, cotton balls coated with vaseline (fire starter), very small fishing kit (stuff I can make a cane pole with), emergency blankets (2), my old BSA fork, knife & spoon kit, non lubricated condom (can be used for water collection and requires almost no storage space), 1 MRE. I know it seems like a lot but most of the small stuff is kept in a rectangle candy tin and then sealed in a vacuum seal food storage bag. As for food, I'd just grab something and shove it in my bag on the way out. But if space allows throw in an MRE. I think it's obvious that you may want a change of clothes too.
    Do you plan it to be grab and go for 1 night or for a weekend?
    As I said my bag stays mostly packed, I always have to shove a change of clothes and some food in my bag.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    You may not want to keep a sleeping bag stored in its stuff sack. That will result in loft compression, and you will end up with a much colder bag than you were expecting.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom