• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    While I'd never promote violence...I assume when you refer to SHTF...you're speaking of the end of a civilized society rather than just the inconvenience of hard times.

At some point in time you'd have to decide if you seek to survive. If the answer is yes...you'll have to do some pretty ruthless and demoralizing things to do so.

Never barter something that can be used to kill you. :twocents:

I'm talking a couple weeks after an economic collapse. Tell me, what do I barter with, sunshine and rainbows? :n00b:

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    i can see them trying to take ammo away. what will most likely happen is they will start enforcing strict guidlines on the ammo concerning dynamics. once this happens we will all know that it has begun and it will be time to snatch up every last box you see and then start to buy reloading equipment if you don't already own it. i have to disagree with you on this one Bisley. sorry, but ammo will be gone in a week if they were to ban it.

What I meant to say was ammo you and others already HAVE will last a long time. Ammo on the store shelves, as you say, would be bought up in a week. Thanks bigiron, after I re-read my post my point wasn't clear.

Last edited:

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I'm talking a couple weeks after an economic collapse. Tell me, what do I barter with, sunshine and rainbows? :n00b:
    Go ahead and give your guns away. Maybe that 20 year old girl at the gas station will protect you. :rolleyes:

You're not getting it are you? That you'll probably have to take what you need to survive. The meek aren't going to inherit the earth.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    The UN small arms treaty will be NOboma's claim to fame for gun control. Hopefully it will not stand the scrutney of the supreme court. I believe it will also stop the sale of reloading components. I believe Hillary has said the U.S. will sign it. Anyway it will be a big threat to the 2A.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    Go ahead and give your guns away. Maybe that 20 year old girl at the gas station will protect you. :rolleyes:

You're not getting it are you? That you'll probably have to take what you need to survive. The meek aren't going to inherit the earth.

So if my car has no gas explain to me how I get back to where my family is :rolleyes:

JBusch8899

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    well they cant take em away in indiana anymore. thanks to HB1065

Taking away the population's firearms has always been unconstitutional, hence unlawful. However, it's never stopped the grabbers in such places as NY, IL, NJ, MA, and CA. Don't get too comfortable with a mere law that protects a gunowner from the unlawful seizure of their firearms, because there will always be someone looking to circumvent that law.

Our current president arguably doesn't respect the Constitution as a rule of law. If it weren't for an armed populace, do you think any of them would respect term limits either?

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Well, that is never going to happen... they'd have to ban the importing of ammo as well. Which isn't going to happen. And if they did somehow ban ammo, crime would shoot up 1000% due to black marketing, etc. Just like the prohibition act. It's not gonna work and it's not gonna happen.

Heck - you're just a pessimist. Look at how well banning drugs has worked!

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    So if my car has no gas explain to me how I get back to where my family is :rolleyes:

I will try to put what I percived him trying to say:

In the situation you have described (a true SHTF situation) the laws of the land will no longer mean anything. It will be a true everyman for himself and you will have to do what you have to do in order to survive, if that is what you are really trying to do. So in short, I think what he was trying to say was...........JUST TAKE THE EFFING GAS, DON'T TRADE FOR IT!!!!!

I'm not saying I agree with it, just that is what I think he was getting at.

PurdueGunLover

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Delphi
    they need the money

They still have till july..........:draw:

I am not sure what that means do you have a link. I think ammo is just being bought up by everyone who is affraid they might increase the tax. Or just people who hoard it like me. I shoot alot and buy alot and do not like running to the store. The gov. makes a decent amount of coin right now off alll excise tax. I do not think they can lose that expecially after the new health care bill and a chinese bondbacked war. Cigarette price went up people kept smoking. I started rolling my own. Different situation but there is always a point where taxes are raised to high for the gov to get the return they want. Just my opinion.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    And if they did somehow ban ammo, crime would shoot up 1000% due to black marketing, etc. Just like the prohibition act. It's not gonna work and it's not gonna happen.

Well, prohibition did happen. It didn't work, exactly, but it did happen.

I agree they would not be able to actually decrease crime by banning ammo. You only need one bullet to murder someone, and for the reasons you mention, and others, it would be impossible to impose such an effective ammo ban to prevent bad guys from coming up with a few rounds here and there.

But an ammo ban - or even a not-quite-ban scheme like microstamping or crazy environmental restrictions - could drive the price of ammo through the roof to where it would be a very difficult and expensive proposition to round up enough ammo to shoot in a match or teach your son to shoot a rifle.

Keep Jamal the Gang Banger from killing off the competition? No, I agree, not going to happen.

Keep Shadownick off the range by driving ammo costs up to $50/round? Could happen.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    While I'd never promote violence...I assume when you refer to SHTF...you're speaking of the end of a civilized society rather than just the inconvenience of hard times.

At some point in time you'd have to decide if you seek to survive. If the answer is yes...you'll have to do some pretty ruthless and demoralizing things to do so. :twocents:

THANK YOU!!!! WOW a peson who FINALY admits that we might have to do things that by todays standards are wrong. rep to you!!!

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    THANK YOU!!!! WOW a peson who FINALY admits that we might have to do things that by todays standards are wrong. rep to you!!!
    Well...if you're agreeing with me...I may have to rethink my solution and admit I may be wrong. :):

Seriously...I hope I never live to see the day. But eventually it will happen. Hopefully not in my lifetime.

Some people will survive because they are prepared. They know how to hunt and fish...they grow some of their own food. Others will have enough material items to barter for what they need...for a while.

Hopefully many of us can align with others and form groups that can care for each other. Skilled laborers and essential professionals who by their groups alliances can survive.

But most of society will be on their own. And they will have to decide...what are they willing to do to feed their starving children...or themselves. :twocents:

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I actually think that the Government is smarter than that. What have they been saying on the news? There's already violence against the democrats because of this health bill. I think they know that there would be a civil war (not promoting it!) caused by it. Criminals, cops, and the regular John Q would unite and stand up for their rights. I believe the government knows this. I'm starting to think they would go a different route. Ammo. They stop the manufacturing and the selling of ammo. Even stop reloading equipment. No ammo, then what do we have? Hunks of metal. Maybe this has even started? We do have an ammo shortage going on now.

Thoughts?
    It's a false ammo shortage. There is no problem for the big 4 to keep up with demand, but why would or should they? When they can sell the same box of .40 for $20 to the distributor. Then the distributor sells it for $40. The number 1 way this could all be eliminated? Ammo manufact. start selling direct to the public. (by the case of course) But it will never happen.

garlic_b

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Bloomington
    1) Ammo prices, like most things, are easily artificially influenced. Like De Beers and their diamonds. Keep the supply low. Increase the demand (Advertising, diamond engagement rings are only about 80 years old). Profit.

2) The UN treaty effects import and export of firearms. With a clause inserted into the preamble, by the US protecting domestic gun rights. "Acknowledging also the right of States to regulate internal transfers of arms and national ownership, including through national constitutional protections on private ownership, exclusively within their territory…" I say, Buy an American made AR, and Lake City Ammo! ;)

International Gun Ban Treaty? | FactCheck.org
    http://www.iansa.org/un/documents/ATT_1com09_draft.pdf

3) All treaties signed by the president must be ratified in the House and Senate. All this will likely be after November, and most right leaning people think that the Republicans will gain back the controlling majority, or at the very least Dems will lose a lot of their majority. So in the End, I believe this is mostly just a red herring.

Feel free to pick knits...

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    I was always told never say never!

Hypoctite...;)....:D

I agree, but I can also see them going the gun confiscation route due to the recent violence. If more violence ensued, they would declare a national state of emergency and it would be like New Orleans on a national scale. Either way, they're chipping away at it slowly...

The government does not have the resources to keep up with the demand of a national emergency firearms confiscation declaration.

I highly doubt that but if you think that's is what will happen be it......What should I do, go in and shoot and demand free gas?

Speculating about WTFSHTFBBQ and you "highly doubt" a paticular scenario will happen. Hmmmmmm.....:dunno:

At some point in time you'd have to decide if you seek to survive. If the answer is yes...you'll have to do some pretty ruthless and demoralizing things to do so.

Never barter something that can be used to kill you. :twocents:

The harsh reality, but a reality nontheless. :+1:

i can see them trying to take ammo away. what will most likely happen is they will start enforcing strict guidlines on the ammo concerning dynamics. once this happens we will all know that it has begun and it will be time to snatch up every last box you see and then start to buy reloading equipment if you don't already own it. i have to disagree with you on this one Bisley. sorry, but ammo will be gone in a week if they were to ban it.

Gone off the shelves.....?.....probably more like less than one day. You think tickle-me Elmo was bad.
    Gone off the streets.....?...Never. Government intervention has a tipping point. When you gouge the free market too much, the black market will thrive.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom