• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I stumbled across this when fiddling with Google Earth and thought it was cool.

Gough Island (rhymes with cough; also known historically as Diego Alvarez) is a volcanic island rising from the South Atlantic Ocean to heights of over 2,950 feet (900 m) above sea level with an area of 35 square miles (91 km2). It is uninhabited except for the personnel of a weather station (usually 6 people) which the South African National Antarctic Programme has maintained continually on the island since 1956. It is one of the most remote places with a constant human presence.

SANAP - Gough Island Weather Station

The 6-10 member team lives on the island at the weather station. The boat comes once per year to replenish supplies and exchange personnel.

I wonder what that's like? I mean, they obviously have contact with the outside world, but to know that there are only half a dozen people within two thousand miles of you, and the boat won't be there for another year. Imagine living in New York and your closest neighbor is in Los Angeles! :runaway:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I agree. You better really, really, really get along with your neighbors. You also better hope you don't have a heart attack or some other emergency.

One or more of the team members is a medic and there are emergency services available (although they may take several days to arrive).

I would guess that there's enough room to get away from team members that are bugging you, but I suspect they have cohesion down pretty well before they get sent to the island.

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Thanks for posting that Scutter, interesting read..

Now I just need to figure out how I can take it over and be self sufficient.. :)

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    On a somewhat related note, I read recently that the arctic outpost that the US maintains is staffed by like 30 or so people, and among their annual supplies is about 2000 condoms.....

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    On a somewhat related note, I read recently that the arctic outpost that the US maintains is staffed by like 30 or so people, and among their annual supplies is about 2000 condoms.....

You know, it really wouldn't surprise me if they used them to protect small electronics from the weather. Of course, it wouldn't surprise me if that was merely the "official" explanation, either. :D

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    See, its places and things like this that Horror movies usually start....:D

All I need to know is Walter Brimley sitting in a shed, with a noose in the corner, telling the group that he wants to come back inside, he hears strange noises.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    All I need to know is Walter Brimley sitting in a shed, with a noose in the corner, telling the group that he wants to come back inside, he hears strange noises.

Do you mean Wilford Brimley, much beloved old-man character actor since long before he was actually an old man?

Top Bottom