• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drnorris

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I recently found a book that provides lots of info on this subject.
    The author doesn't just talk about the subject, he has lived it.
    He currently lives off of the grid.
    Besides providing good information, his presentation is entertaining and so the reading is not dry.
    The book is "When All Hell Breaks Loose".
    The Author is Cody Lundin.
    He also wrote "98.6 Degrees, The Art of Keeping Your Ass Alive".
    I purchased the books at Borders.
    If you sign up for their rewards card, you get discount coupons by email almost weekly. I think I got a 25% off one that I used and so I paid 15$ instead of $20.
    Check it out.

nofear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Indy
    So the book is a good read? I was just thinking about posting what book or 2 folks would recommend for a SHTF or something scenario. I may look at both of his books.

thx

Tim-g19

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Charlestown
    it isnt a survival book really but it is a great book in the old ways.

"The FoxFire Book"

Edited by Eliot Wigginton

Its a compalation of things from mountain life.
    Hog dressing, log cabin building, Planting by signs, snake lore, hunting tales, faith healing, and moonshining.

its written as the people spoke so it sometimes is hard to read and need to re read to make sense.
    But I do think i could build a cabin and take care of a family just by this one book.

It is alittle more fun to read too, alot of stories and recipies thrown in, its truely a window to simpler times and ways.

Its old and out of print but if you see a copy I highly recommend grabbing it.:thumbsup:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    it isnt a survival book really but it is a great book in the old ways.

"The FoxFire Book"

Edited by Eliot Wigginton

Its a compalation of things from mountain life.
    Hog dressing, log cabin building, Planting by signs, snake lore, hunting tales, faith healing, and moonshining.

its written as the people spoke so it sometimes is hard to read and need to re read to make sense.
    But I do think i could build a cabin and take care of a family just by this one book.

It is alittle more fun to read too, alot of stories and recipies thrown in, its truely a window to simpler times and ways.

Its old and out of print but if you see a copy I highly recommend grabbing it.:thumbsup:

+1

I'm not sure, but I think there are more volumes than the original.
    I outta have a copy around (somewhere?), along with a few years of copy of the early "Mother Earth News." Gotta dig those out.

Royal-1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Noblesville
    I just finished reading "Patriots, Surviving the Coming Collapse" by James Wesley, Rawles. Not a great story, but a good read with lots of info in it. Seems like a very plausible scenario and some of it looks to be taking place now. I would recommend it, not as a must have but a good start.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    I just finished reading "Patriots, Surviving the Coming Collapse" by James Wesley, Rawles. Not a great story, but a good read with lots of info in it. Seems like a very plausible scenario and some of it looks to be taking place now. I would recommend it, not as a must have but a good start.

You're right. It is a pretty good book. I just finished it Saturday.
    I gives a LOT of information, sometimes a little too much (too detailed), but a good read.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    +1 on the Fox Fire books. The hill folk are just that much better for surviving the world, long term, not survival short term. Alot of the recipes in there are really good!

Got all of em on my bookshelf at home, right next to the Man in the Iron Mask. I would love to read that to my kids one day (when and if I have kids). Teach em morals and honor.:D

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    +1 on the Fox Fire books. The hill folk are just that much better for surviving the world, long term, not survival short term. Alot of the recipes in there are really good!

Got all of em on my bookshelf at home, right next to the Man in the Iron Mask. I would love to read that to my kids one day (when and if I have kids). Teach em morals and honor.:D

Have you read : "Lights Out" by Halffast?

If not you can read it online (I don't know if it's in "hard copy") at survivalmonkey.com
    It's a good story also.

Royal-1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Noblesville
    Have you read : "Lights Out" by Halffast?

If not you can read it online (I don't know if it's in "hard copy") at survivalmonkey.com
    It's a good story also.
    I finished reading Lights Out about 2 week ago. Forgot to post about it on here. This is the story to read on "Bugging In". I would recommend reading it as well, lots of good info like with "Patriots", but more applicable to most people that have not been prepping for 10+ years or have a hidden retreat in the western US to bug out to. Thanks for the link Flagtag :cheers:

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    I finished reading Lights Out about 2 week ago. Forgot to post about it on here. This is the story to read on "Bugging In". I would recommend reading it as well, lots of good info like with "Patriots", but more applicable to most people that have not been prepping for 10+ years or have a hidden retreat in the western US to bug out to. Thanks for the link Flagtag :cheers:

I liked both stories. Like you said, Lights Out would fit most of us, turning our homes/neighborhoods into mini forts/compounds - using what we live with every day rather than setting aside a retreat.

nofear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Indy
    I've been reading the "Lights out" since you guys posted it here. This is a very good read. I wish someone would of posted it years ago (or I would of seen it posted ;-)

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I recently found a book that provides lots of info on this subject.
    The author doesn't just talk about the subject, he has lived it.
    He currently lives off of the grid.
    Besides providing good information, his presentation is entertaining and so the reading is not dry.
    The book is "When All Hell Breaks Loose".
    The Author is Cody Lundin.
    He also wrote "98.6 Degrees, The Art of Keeping Your Ass Alive".
    I purchased the books at Borders.
    If you sign up for their rewards card, you get discount coupons by email almost weekly. I think I got a 25% off one that I used and so I paid 15$ instead of $20.
    Check it out.

Thanks for the Post - Good Read :thumbsup:

Royal-1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Noblesville
    Books on CD

OK I heard about this series of books and they have at least the first 2 on CD audio books.

Last Light (Restoration Series)by Terri Blackstock.

I played the first CD of book 1 and it is about an EMP pulse that knocks out elect. world wide. There are at least 4 books in the series.

I think this plays out very much like the Lights Out Internet book. I wounder which came first? Should be some good info in this book too. I'll give it a review when I get done.

My wife has a commute to work so she plays audio books on her drive. This might be a good way for her to read some of the books that deal with prepping. Maybe I'll get her to review it? :popcorn2:

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    OK I heard about this series of books and they have at least the first 2 on CD audio books.

Last Light (Restoration Series)by Terri Blackstock.

I played the first CD of book 1 and it is about an EMP pulse that knocks out elect. world wide. There are at least 4 books in the series.

I think this plays out very much like the Lights Out Internet book. I wounder which came first? Should be some good info in this book too. I'll give it a review when I get done.

My wife has a commute to work so she plays audio books on her drive. This might be a good way for her to read some of the books that deal with prepping. Maybe I'll get her to review it? :popcorn2:

It would be great to hear from both of you. As you know men and women have a (generally) different take on such things. I think you both would have something to contribute. Thanks.

Top Bottom