• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NickXD

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    SE Indy
    First time I took my gf/fiancee to the range I just went over some basic handling and safety. She had never shot before so was a little nervous of the kick but she had no problem shooting my XD .45 and has since shot a SR9 and is still happy with the .45. Let her shoot whatever you are going to shoot and hope she likes it. Just my $.02

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    First time I took my now wife shooting she did the shooting and I did the coaching. That's the best way to get started if you're competent. Second date if I remember correctly. This is a good screening activity for potential mates, imo, and I suggest doing it before getting too emotionally involved. But, I digress. . .

Any .22 lr is a good choice. Also, the full-size .380s are fun. A little more bang, but mild in the larger models.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    Mooresville
    I have found that it is best to start them out with something small, however if they enjoy it. Just like any woman they will want to start moving up to something bigger and more powerful. before you know it the only thing that will make them happy is a big black 50 cal.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Something small like a 22 would be best. A 380 might work as well, that's what a friend of mine used with his g/f and she loved it. But concentrate the most on safety. Spend the time trying to help and teach her, showing her the attention she needs and she will more than likely appreciate it very much.

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    My favorite long gun for fun... our Savage .17 cal HMR. It's dead-on-balls-accurate and recoil isn't bad at all. It might run you between $250-$300, but I bet she'll like it... you will too. The first time I ever shot it, I thought "dang I'm a pretty good shot!" I think I used up all the ammo Jakal had for it at the time. :D

(This one time, at band camp) I had a tin can setting on top of a wood pile in our back yard. About a 75-100 yard shot. I was getting pretty po'd cause I couldn't seem to hit the stinking can! I was convinced there was something wrong with the weapon. Finally, after a half dozen wasted shots Jakal and I walked out to the wood pile to see where the shots were actually going. Lo and behold, every single shot I made went right through the can and out the other side - so clean it didn't so much as shake the can, let alone topple it! :rockwoot:I guess I was expecting the can to go flying through the air like in the movies.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    For a handgun, I love our Walther P22. For a long gun, we have a Ruger 10/22 and also have an AR15 which has a .22 conversion kit. Of the long guns, the AR is my absolute favorite to shoot. An AR may be too much gun for her. I don't know her so I can't really give you a good answer for your question. I can just tell you what I like for a cheap inexpensive way of shooting. Of course, the AR wasn't cheap but it's fun as heck to shoot.

The thing about the Ruger is you can deck it out any way you want over a long period of time too. That's what Scutter has been doing it. He has bought things here and there for it. He probably has enough parts to make another gun or two.. hehehe

I do think though that she'll have fun shooting cans regardless. I'm tired of just shooting paper myself. It's kind of fun shooting the entire middle out but it's still kind of boring nonetheless.

Make sure you tell her not to wear anything low cut as the brass is hot and us women know how feels with brass down our tops. :crying:

P Starr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Indianapolis, IN
    My first time out I shot a good variety of handguns including a Walther P22, Glock 21SF (45 caliber) & a Bersa. I have since shot several other styles and have enjoyed shooting the Glock (whatever caliber or model) the best.

I enjoy it so much that the Glock 19 is now on my short list of guns I really want to own. I plan to have one as soon as I can afford it.

Jeronimo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    I'd go with an AK. If children in 3rd world countries shoot them, so can your girlfriend. Get some fun targets too. Pumpkins, milk jugs, etc.

WHRJeff

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    South Bend
    It looks like most have suggested .22's especially the Walther P22. I would recommend the same or go with a Sig Mosquito or Beretta Bobcat. Some women really like the smaller gun perhaps they think they are cute lol. My wife and her friends really get a kick out of the Beretta Bobcat...I think it makes them feal like a lady bond.

Too many people take their lady friends to the range and start them off with what they are shooting. Usually the big calibers .40, 45, 9mm. Not that women can't shoot them but they just should not start out on something that may scare them away. It is like when you are 12 years old and your pops hands you a 12 ga shotgun for their own entertainment.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    My wife's favorite gun to shoot is the full size 1911a1 .45. She likes the way it rolls, back and forth.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    As said above I'd start with any 22, whether pistol or rifle. Start with the basic safety and make sure she totally understands and follows it to the letter. Then start with the basic mechanics, like how to hold it, sight picture, operation, etc. I'm doing this for 3 friends next weekend on my birthday at the range at Huntington reservoir. One is coming down Fri night from MI to stay the night with me so we can do this Sat, and the other two are will be coming up from Greenwood. I'm taking mostly 22's, may even have to borrow another 22 rifle to start with, but if I have to that's not a prob.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Beretta SP22 LR I thought it was a great starter gun because it has little recoil and particularly because the internal cocking mechanism means that this semiautomatic gun will not cut open an inexperienced shooter's hand when it recoils even if they hold it wrong

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    A good 22 semi auto pistol or rifle .My wife burned up an easy 100 rds of 22 lr (Buckmark)when I was re-orientating her .She couldnt believe she went through that much ammo so fast(Should have went to the end of the thread ,DOH)

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Look.......You might as well pull out your big gun right away. Why hide it? She's going to find out you have it anyway. If it scares her off then it really wasn't meant to be.

Trust me, she'll love it so much and probably use it all the time.
    When you got it, flaunt it!
    I always let them use my 12ga on the first date.

What. :dunno:

Top Bottom