• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    There are also exemptions for certain types of businesses within the law, my workplace was given the option to make their own rules and the director of security decided no weapons on the property. He's within the law. Nothing we can do about it.
    Unless your company is one of the few exempted by the law, (not given the option) then you've been lied to. There are very few exemptions and they're spelled out relatively clearly.

Exempts possession of a firearm or ammunition: (1) on school property, on property used by a school for a school function, or on a school bus; (2) on certain child care and shelter facility property; (3) on penal facility property; (4) in violation of federal law; (5) on property belonging to an approved postsecondary educational institution; (6) on the property of a domestic violence shelter; (7) at a person's residence; (8) on the property of a person that is subject to the United States Department of Homeland Security's Chemical Facility Anti-Terrorism Standards and licensed by the United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission; (9) on property owned by a public utility that generates and transmits electric power or a department of public utilities; and (10) in an employee's personal vehicle if the employee is a direct support professional who uses the employee's personal vehicle while transporting an individual with developmental disabilities

http://www.in.gov//apps/lsa/session/billwatch/billinfo?year=2010&request=getBill&docno=1065

Hdfb03

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ok so quick question, My company says in the handbook I cannot carry. It also says that I cannot have a fire arm in my vehicle on work property, does that mean that i cannot be fired even though its in the policy book?

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Ok so quick question, My company says in the handbook I cannot carry. It also says that I cannot have a fire arm in my vehicle on work property, does that mean that i cannot be fired even though its in the policy book?
    That is correct, but the easiest thing would be simply not to let them know it's in your car. They could fire you for *anything* and unless they specifically tell you that they fired you due to having a firearm in your vehicle, you'd be without a job and recourse.

It's unlikely they would slip up and tell you they fired you for something they can't legally fire you for.

Just like if I had a gold bar in the trunk, I wouldn't go into work telling everybody about it...

Hdfb03

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    That is correct, but the easiest thing would be simply not to let them know it's in your car. They could fire you for *anything* and unless they specifically tell you that they fired you due to having a firearm in your vehicle, you'd be without a job and recourse.

It's unlikely they would slip up and tell you they fired you for something they can't legally fire you for.

Just like if I had a gold bar in the trunk, I wouldn't go into work telling everybody about it...

Makes sense, thank you!

Vic_Mackey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Beastside
    So what kind of compensation would one get for something like this? Would one simply get their job back, or could I just take them to the cleaners? I was fired for something very, very similar a few years ago. The problem was they told it was for having a gun in my car (even though they had no proof), but the written statement said differently.

The reason it said differently was because I told my boss about the law (it went into effect the same month I was fired). There were two LPD officers there to make sure everything "went smoothly", and I asked them to acknowledge the law. The officer, a LT, said he didn't know what I was talking about. I packed my crap and left and received the letter stating why I was fired an hour later. The NRA lawyer I spoke to was all about the case until I told him that it wasn't in writing that I was fired for a firearm policy violation. He told me unless they put it in writing or recording, I was screwed.

SO my advice to OP, because I haven't read the entire thread and have no idea if it's been said yet, is DO NOT tell them about the law, DO NOT mention seeking legal council, and DO seek legal help from Guy. Record everything, save every email, and let them dig their own hole. I hope you win, OP, I'm rooting for you.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    (5) on property belonging to an approved postsecondary educational institution.

Colleges and Universities are exempt?

Mango

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Top Bottom