• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbmalibu

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    north judson Indiana
    Hi guys, I just bought a new handgun a week ago. Its my first handgun and I was asked to go to a range later today to shoot with some friends. Am I legally able to take my gun and drive to the range and shoot? I thought it was ok but had another friend tell me its not. Im planning to apply for a carry but haven't yet as this was a spur of the moment deal. Also the guys im going with have there carry permits so can they take my gun and can I shoot it when there? Just want to make sure im not breaking any laws.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    I believe that you are covered by Federal, rather than state, law. But as I'm a novice you may wish to get clarification from others with more experience

BATF Site FAQ's Section:
    (B7) May a nonlicensee transport firearms for sporting or other lawfulpurposes?Yes. Federal law provides a person, who is not prohibited by the GCAfrom receiving or transporting firearms, the right to transport a firearmunder certain conditions, notwithstanding State or local law to the contrary.The firearms must be unloaded and in a locked trunk or, in a vehicle lacking atrunk, in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Also, the carrying and possession must be lawful at the place of origin anddestination.[18 U.S.C. 926A, 27 CFR 178.38]

§ 178.38 Transportation of firearms. Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any politicalsubdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping,or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place wheresuch person may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where such person may lawfullypossess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither thefirearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from thepassenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without acompartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a lockedcontainer other than the glove compartment or console.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Always go to the law ... see 5(A)

http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/2010/title35/ar47/ch2.pdf

IC 35-47-2-1 Version b
    Carrying a handgun without being licensed; exceptions; person
    convicted of domestic battery
    Note: This version of section effective 7-1-2014. See also
    preceding version of this section, effective until 7-1-2014.

(5) the person carries the handgun
    (A) at a shooting range (as defined in IC 14-22-31.5-3);
    (B) while attending a firearms instructional course; or
    (C) while engaged in a legal hunting activity.
    (

Last edited:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    He wanted this part
    (3) the person carries the handgun in a vehicle that is owned,
    leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person, if
    the handgun is:
    (A) unloaded;
    (B) not readily accessible; and
    (C) secured in a case;
    (4) the person carries the handgun while lawfully present in a
    vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally
    controlled by another person, if the handgun is:
    (A) unloaded;
    (B) not readily accessible; and
    (C) secured in a case; or

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    I'll never understand why folks reply with, "I can't remember, but I think" and "I believe" statements when talking about firearms laws. If you don't KNOW, don't reply.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'll never understand why folks reply with, "I can't remember, but I think" and "I believe" statements when talking about firearms laws. If you don't KNOW, don't reply.

Yeah, pretty much. It's not like no one else will be along with a more definitive answer. Usually in these threads someone will eventually post chapter and verse of the applicable Indiana code and all is well.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort

I have to agree, when a question is asked, if I am not sure I open my ATF Federal Firearms Reference Guide sent to me with my FFL-03 license 2 years ago. I keep it on the table next to my 'puter. I do have the CD with all the state laws but usually go to the IN web site as the info is current.

Nevernoluck2

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Peru
    Going to a gun range without having ltch

(5) the person carries the handgun
    (A) at a shooting range (as defined in IC 14-22-31.5-3);
    (B) while attending a firearms instructional course; or
    (C) while engaged in a legal hunting activity.

Do I read this correct and the rest of the posts? I read it as you don't have to have a permit to hunt with a handgun as long as you travel with it in the trunk or locked case and use it on property that you have permission.

Top Bottom