• ...and so much more!
  • flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Was thinking of getting the Goal Zero 1000 or 1500 for emergency short term backup with Nomad 200 panels for topping it off. May use them for camping also. Use would be small 1 room heat, recharge phones etc. Think typical power outage for Indiana.
    Bad idea? Will be getting about 30% off on the items.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    A gas or propane generator might be a better tool. Most space heaters use around 1500 watts with some tiny ones as low as 500 watts. A Goal Zero 1500 will run the typical space heater for an hour or the tiny one for 3 hours on a full charge. (1500Wh)

I didn’t research those panels but the ones on my barn are full size and rated at 100 watts each in full sun. I assume those are 200 watt? That’s not gonna help much.

Camping and phone charging would be good to go within reason.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    OP, what do you want to power and for how long?

Also, unless I really needed the portable capability of the Nomad 200 panel, like if it was just something to setup out in the yard during emergencies, then I'd save a bunch and get some rigid Renogy panels which are $99.99 each on sale right now. You pay extra for the "portable features" of the folding panel products, which if ones needs it that it's fine.

But, plain rigid panels are a better $/watt option (roughly 1/3 the cost) if portability isn't a factor.

Last edited:

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Thanks.
    Mainly just to keep my 5 yr grandsons 3 person family comfortable if power goes out during winter. The essentials of warmth and water as they can cook on the propane cooktop to prepare food. They are on a well and I have contemplated getting a solar charger for the pump.
    Not sure how deep I can go as far as $$ but also wanted it to be used for camping because they do a fair amount and I plan on getting him out more since I'm semi-retired now.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Thanks.
    Mainly just to keep my 5 yr grandsons 3 person family comfortable if power goes out during winter.

I don’t mean to be difficult, but a lot of people overestimate what these solar generators can do. And, if you don’t get a more specific, like what - exactly - do you want to run, and for how long, you really have no idea if this product will meet needs. Wouldn’t want you to get something and then be disappointed or find it can’t meet your needs.

Top Bottom