• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Been having problems with the 9mm reloads in recently acquired Glocks, mostly Gen 5. Some of them have frequent FTE and FTF, with occasional light strikes. These are the same reloads that work flawlessly in my Ruger P-series, Sig P365XL, Ruger PC9, Uzi semi-autos and MP5 clones for hundreds of rounds. Some of the Glocks also work flawlessly, like the one with a Lone Wolf slide and barrel.
    Previously lubed the Glocks, and replaced some the recoil springs with lighter ones. I REALLY don't want to have to reload all those rounds.
    Current loading:
    124 gr JHP
    Wolf primers
    3.4 gr Clays
    1.115 OAL

I never had any issue until these recent Glocks.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Been having problems with the 9mm reloads in recently acquired Glocks, mostly Gen 5. Some of them have frequent FTE and FTF, with occasional light strikes. These are the same reloads that work flawlessly in my Ruger P-series, Sig P365XL, Ruger PC9, Uzi semi-autos and MP5 clones for hundreds of rounds. Some of the Glocks also work flawlessly, like the one with a Lone Wolf slide and barrel.
    Previously lubed the Glocks, and replaced some the recoil springs with lighter ones. I REALLY don't want to have to reload all those rounds.
    Current loading:
    124 gr JHP
    Wolf primers
    3.4 gr Clays
    1.115 OAL

Have you tried a plunk test in your new Glock barrels?

I have several 9mm firearms, and I have to go by my CZ P10F chamber because it's the tightest and shortest of all of them. So for my loads to work with it, and the rest of my 9mm firearms I load it to the CZ P10F specs. I plunk test any new bullets I get and run accordingly.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Have you tried a plunk test in your new Glock barrels?

I have several 9mm firearms, and I have to go by my CZ P10F chamber because it's the tightest and shortest of all of them. So for my loads to work with it, and the rest of my 9mm firearms I load it to the CZ P10F specs. I plunk test any new bullets I get and run accordingly.
    Or buy a 9mm case gage and check them

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have a cardboard box marked Glock Food. When reloaded ammo doesn’t make it through the case gauge I just toss it in that box. Absolutely everything goes through the Glock without a hitch.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have a cardboard box marked Glock Food. When reloaded ammo doesn’t make it through the case gauge I just toss it in that box. Absolutely everything goes through the Glock without a hitch.

I always take the barrel out of my Gen5's to back up plunk test anything that doesn't make it through the case gage.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I always take the barrel out of my Gen5's to back up plunk test anything that doesn't make it through the case gage.

I do get it, but, We have way to many 9mm's for that.
    If one fails the 50 rd gauge, it gets tossed into the pond.
    A hard taper crimp and then what gets loaded goes into one of the gauges.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I've found that Gen 5 Glocks have very tight throats (as do CZs). Loads that will work in other guns, or maybe even pass a case gauge test, may not work in your Glock. Your actual pistol barrel is the best cause gauge. Take the barrel out of the gun and drop the round in...it should "plunk" freely into the chamber, and you should be able to spin it freely in the chamber without the bullet binding against the lands.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've found that Gen 5 Glocks have very tight throats (as do CZs). Loads that will work in other guns, or maybe even pass a case gauge test, may not work in your Glock. Your actual pistol barrel is the best cause gauge. Take the barrel out of the gun and drop the round in...it should "plunk" freely into the chamber, and you should be able to spin it freely in the chamber without the bullet binding against the lands.

First time loading in longer than I'd like to admit, I loaded 400 rounds a few weeks ago. 1.06 OAL is the longest I could get and still consistently plunk. 142-3gr powder coated NOE flat nose, sized to .357. For three Gen5 Glocks. Oh, and a PCC.

Last edited:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    First time loading in longer than I'd like to admit, I loaded 400 rounds a few weeks ago. 1.06 OAL is the longest I could get and still consistently plunk. 142-3gr powder coated NOE flat nose, sized to .357. For three Gen5 Glocks. Oh, and a PCC.

What did the rounds measure at the case mouth after you had seated/crimped them?
    How do you seat = crimp?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Your friend is from Bar-sto if you want to shoot reloads in a glock. I have one glock a 17L. All the old wisdom that the unsupported chamber and reloads in the factory barrel made them picky to say the least. I ordered the Bar-sto long ago and it works well with reloads.

Glock is not really my thing but the 17L has stick around when all the others have gone downstream to others. (I will admit I should have kept the 45acp glock also. )

Please remember that the 17L is older model and they might have done some engineering on the new models but one thing Glock has done since the Late 1980's is stay the same.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Lee seating die and factory crimp die I believe.

View attachment 282459
    It looks like the neck of the brass still needs some more crimp, but 377 should drop in 9mm like butter.

Do your measurements stay 377 or does your brass trim down 5-6 thou in the middle like a wasp waist and then go back up nearing the rim?
    Have you tried cranking down on the crimp die?

Ive always been a taper crimp loader, so many problems vanished with gauging, feeding and so on when I was pushed into buying them for my auto-loading handguns.

I wish you lived closer..

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    It looks like the neck of the brass still needs some more crimp, but 377 should drop in 9mm like butter.

Do your measurements stay 377 or does your brass trim down 5-6 thou in the middle like a wasp waist and then go back up nearing the rim?
    Have you tried cranking down on the crimp die?

Ive always been a taper crimp loader, so many problems vanished with gauging, feeding and so on when I was pushed into buying them for my auto-loading handguns.

I wish you lived closer..

Thanks for the advice. I'm not having any trouble though. I was just commenting on the max AOL for the powder coated boolit I use.

The only trouble I have ever had with crimp was too much crimp on .356 sized boolits. Too deep of crimp was breaking the coating combined with .356 sizing being just light enough to allow some leading from the break.

I have a new untried mold to fiddle with, when I get to more shooting and casting. Different ogive on the round nosed "147gr," so I'll have to reevaluate every number with it.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Lee Factory Crimp Die solves a lot of problems with Glocks.

My son and I fired over 1200 rounds three weeks ago through two Gen 5 Glocks. Zero issues.

My 1911s and Walther Q5 however are picky.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Lee Factory Crimp Die solves a lot of problems with Glocks.

My son and I fired over 1200 rounds three weeks ago through two Gen 5 Glocks. Zero issues.

My 1911s and Walther Q5 however are picky.
    We also have/will be shooting thousands of rds of jacketed and Hi-Tek coated 9mm and a thousand or so 148 grain WC 38 Special through S&W 52's and two Colt 1911's in 38 wadd-cutter.
    When loading 380,9mm,38 WC, 40, 10mm and 45ACP the last station on my Dillons carry a taper crimp.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Current loading:
    124 gr JHP
    Wolf primers
    3.4 gr Clays
    1.115 OAL

Have you figured out what the problem is?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom