• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K9stang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Southern IN
    I'm wanting to sip the coolaid and try a Glock 19. I can't decide on a gen 3 or 4 though. I'm hoping someone in the know could give me some direction.

I don't normally invest in upgrades or lots of magizines, so that won't be a factor. I will need a decent holster for it.

Any help would be appreciated.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Have you handled or shot any Glock Gen 3's? If so the Gen 4 may or may not be an improvement for you. It comes with interchangeable back straps, the grip is more textured and the magazine release is bigger.

CCC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2014
    Northeast
    Gen 4 comes with 3 mags new. Gen 3, only 2 I believe. Also, as mentioned the Gen 4 has grip size that can be changed.

I would buy the best deal you can find, or both generations + a 17, 17L, 26, and 34 (all 9mm).

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    Gen 4. Imo it just feels way more mature and well thought out. But some peoples delicate hands can't handle the texture of the frame.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Gen 4 unless the 3 is at least $100 cheaper, which I've never seen. The adjustable backstraps and extra mag more than make up for the difference in price. Also, the mag release can be switched to the other side if desired, and IIRC it has an improved spring.

K9stang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Southern IN
    I have shot 2 different gen 3s, a 22 and a 20. Both full size. I don't see a need for a full size, right now...
    I did see the 3 is a few dollars cheaper but only about 50 bucks most of the time.

The texture on the grips won't bother mydelicate hands, but thanks for letting me know it feels different. Doesthe back straps make a big difference?

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    They both work well,, I like the gen 3 a lil more. I don't use the backstraps

Lees

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    I have a Gen 3 19 and a Gen 4 26. I've had other people tell me they prefer the Gen 4 26 when we've been shooting both of them, but to me they both feel great. I don't seem to benefit from the backstraps in the Gen 4. The Gen 4 will let you switch it to left handed, but even though I'm left handed I have never switched mine.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Right now, all of my Glocks are Gen 3, but that's less because I'm into Gen 3 and more because that's just what I ended up with when I saw a good deal. I recently sold my Gen 4 G27 and have to say that I think it was a bit nicer than my Gen 3s. Either will work well for you, but for a G19, the Gen 4 might be the better option.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    unless you have small hands or are left handed I would go with the gen 3. Explanation is a little long for my typing skills but that's MHO.
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Certified Glock & M&P armorer
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] /[/FONT][FONT=&quot] RSO[/FONT]

K9stang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Southern IN
    I have seen ads where people are wanting to trade a gen 3 for a gen 4 and then others wanting to trade the other way. It is still confusing.

I have large hands so the grip changing thing should not be an issue. The seems to be only about a $50 difference most places on the price.

There has been some great feedback here, thanks. However tou guys have still left me wondering...

milton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Either is a solid option. For everyday carry, it would be hard not to consider the gen 3. The texture would feel better against my love handles. That being said, I prefer the gen 4 for the extra mag and the backstraps. My bear paws get slide bit on any gen 3 unless I use a grip force adapter.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    You need to hold and if possible fire both and see which one YOU like. And also look at what features YOU like.

I had a couple Gen 3's in 40. Liked everything but the 40 became an odd caliber for me so I sold them. Got back into a Glock recently and got a Gen 4 model 19. I like the steel guided and tackler grips but would have been happy with a Gen 3 as well. Whatever one you can get for the right price you will be fine. They have proven they work.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I liked the Gen 4 better and like being current. As others have stated its all personal preference. Some like the Gen 3 better especially if you are into modding them. Gen three has been around longer and I believe it has a better aftermarket parts selection.

I like to keep everything stock and don't use any backstraps. Texture isn't too bad and doesn't bother my skin at all. Solid pistols for sure and am extremely happy with mine.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    I've always enjoyed the Gen 2 because I hate the finger nubs. Always wondered why they didn't offer a nubless model for all these years.

Top Bottom