• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I can't believe that, given how much of a Glock and machine-gun junkie I am, I've never shot one of those friggin' things, except for an airsoft one I had once upon a time. :ugh:

4404.jpg

Last edited:

WillBrayJr

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Auburn, IN
    From what I understand there's abut 3-4 transferable G-18s to civilians. You could have one IF you can track down an owner and offer them like $200,000 for it. The last I knew the G-18s were valued at $90,000+. IF you can find an owner, you'll most likely have to offer them an outrageous amount for it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've shot one before. It was . . . fun.

I'll bet the police department price for a new one is in the $500 range.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    From what I understand there's abut 3-4 transferable G-18s to civilians.

There are NO transferable G18s in the registry; it wasn't introduced until (well) after the passage of GCA '68, which effectively prohibited the importation of machine guns for the commercial market. As I stated previously, there may be a very few G17s that were converted and registered prior to May 1986.

WillBrayJr

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Auburn, IN
    There are NO transferable G18s in the registry; it wasn't introduced until (well) after the passage of GCA '68, which effectively prohibited the importation of machine guns for the commercial market. As I stated previously, there may be a very few G17s that were converted and registered prior to May 1986.

Take that up with members of various full-auto forums. I'm just going by what I've read on those forums and I'm not really into the Class-3 scene.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Here's a nice walkaround of a G18 (deactivated) from a UK site:

Glock 18

Take that up with members of various full-auto forums.

Don't need to; the legislative and weapon development timelines make it a legal impossibility. And I've never seen anyone on the various boards provide any kind of evidence to support a claim to the contrary.

Last edited:

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i was at don's once and the guy next to me was shooting an automatic pistol. the guy on the other side asked him what it was and he said it was a glock 18. it looked like a glock and it put all 33 rounds downrange in about 2 seconds.

whatever it was, it was super cool.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Don't need to; the legislative and weapon development timelines make it a legal impossibility. And I've never seen anyone on the various boards provide any kind of evidence to support a claim to the contrary.
    Agreed, there is just no possible way to have one even as a pre-sample because the G18 wasn't imported until AFTER FOPA '86. There-fore G18 can only be post-samples.

Regarding the converted G17 I also agree, one could have been imported as a standard G17 prior to FOPA and then legally registered and converted in the states giving a fully transferable FA G17.

Maybe they were thinking of a Pre-Sample imported before May 1986.

Not transferable, but no letter needed. Kinda a halfsy...
    Not possible as the 18 wasn't imported at all prior to FOPA.

"In 1984, the Glock company finally went international with their product because the Norwegian Army also picked up the Glock 17 as their standard issue weapon."

-At this point in Glock history their only model is the 17, so people only had 2 years to import and legally convert a 17 to FA.

Unfortunately I haven't found any hard evidence as to when the 18 was imported, but I'll keep looking.

ETA, "1986-U.S. approves Glock for pistol imports; an American unit opens in Smyrna, Ga. "

so maybe there wasn't 2 years to import/register a 17, still no word on the 18 though, I'm a glock newb, I just know that a lot of the experts say that the timeline physically didn't allow for the registration of any G18s.

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Unfortunately I haven't found any hard evidence as to when the 18 was imported, but I'll keep looking.

TGSCOM (I know, I know) says 1986.

Founded in 1963, Glock was a manufacturer of curtain rods before branching out into the firearms industry in the 1970s. They manufactured machine gun belts, practice hand grenades, plastic magazines, field knives, and entrenching tools for the Austrian Army. In the early 1980s, the Austrian Army requested a pistol model; Glock responded with a 9mm semi-automatic pistol dubbed the Glock 17, because it was Gaston Glock's seventeenth patent. The Austrian Army adopted the Glock 17 in 1982 with the Norwegian Army following suit two years later. In 1985, Glock Inc. was established in the United States in Smyrna, Georgia. Over the next few years, Glock expanded its 9 mm product line, developing the select-fire Glock 18 in 1986 and the Glock 17L and Glock 19 in 1988. In 1990, Glock became the first manufacturer to offer models chambered for the .40 S&W cartridge, beating Smith & Wesson to the marketplace with pistols for their own cartridge.

wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    It's easy to get one. Just get the Hughes Amendment repealed...

:whistle:

We can thank good ole Charlie 'I don't live in my district' Rangel for that. How it was adopted is a total miscarriage of our system and I wish someone would challenge it in court.

From Wiki:

Despite an apparent defeat of the amendment by voice vote, Rep. Charles Rangel (D-N.Y.), at the time presiding over the proceedings, declared the amendment approved despite the recorded vote clearly indicating otherwise......Nevertheless, the Senate, in S.B. 49, adopted H.R. 4332 as an amendment to the final bill, which included the defeated Hughes Amendment. It was subsequently passed and signed on May 19, 1986 by President Reagan to become Public Law No 99-308, the Firearms Owners' Protection Act.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Glock Inc.'s Chris Edwards gives a brief demo of the G18C. Wicked fast, but also appears quite controllable.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A3MXsLF7Ec]YouTube - Glock Factory Instructor G18 Demo Shoot[/ame]

Top Bottom