• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • straittactical

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   1
    Dec 16, 2008
    I have a Glock 19 Gen 5 that is NOT cut for a red dot. I am thinking about jumping down the red dot rabbit hole. I have a few questions if you guys could provide your opinions on.
    1.) is it better to have my current Glock 19 slide cut or buy a new Glock 19 that is cut from the factory? And why?
    2.) who is the best at preforming this work and what is a average cost? Does the whole slide need to be refinished?

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ahap

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 27, 2022
    Evansville
    I searched for an "optics cut" thread earlier this evening and was surprised to not find one. Thanks for starting it. Following.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I am up by Fort Wayne. I am will to travel down to the Indy region if needed
    I am in your general area and use AllenM. Just had three optic cuts done with one down there now. He does cerakoting in house, as well.

He did these along with the slide work and Cerakote on the two CZs.

8c259d787201bb092636e4b3c34bd94e.jpg

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    To the cerakote question, I believe Allen offers to either cerakote just the cut, or do the whole slide with a bit of cost difference between the options.

The custom cut on your existing slide should be able to be cut specific for that optic and not need a plate (but Allen will give you the most detail). Picking up either an OEM cut slide (Glock MOS) typically requires a plate, while some aftermarket slides that are precut may or may not require a plate.

Last edited:

5point9

Plinker
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Sep 26, 2022
    Noblesville
    +1 for ZRTS in Noblesville. Unfortunately I just found out about them a few weeks ago. They did some work for me and there costs were very reasonable, their work flawless and more importantly their turn time is very fast. I dropped of something and had it back in 4 hours! I've heard their slide cut work is reasonably priced and quick too.
    I had my Glock 23 done a few years ago, but sent it in to someone. They did fine, but it took 8 weeks and I think it was around $150. I don't regret it.. but mostly because you can't get a 23 with optic cut and that's what I wanted.
    Seriously give ZRTS a call.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    If you are committed to a particular optic, I'd opt to have your current slide cut. That gives you a direct mount instead of requiring the use of a plate, so it's one less failure point and allows for a slightly lower deck height. If you are still in the trial phase with your optic, the factory MOS system will support the ability to change to something else later if you're unsatisfied with your current choice, better than a "once-and-done" dedicated cut would.

I've only had one slide milled to-date, and it was done by maple leaf firearms out of Texas. They did an RMR cut on a P320 slide for me, and it was reasonably priced, done within their quoted turnaround time, and the quality of work was superb.

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    Direct mill is better than MOS generally, though the MOS option has come along way and with proper torque specs youll likely not have any issues. The benefit of MOS is that you are not committed to one optic footprint. Kind of 'future proofs" your gun or just if you are like me and always getting new stuff to try out. Maybe less of a problem for some with Glocks as they are much cheaper than something like a Staccato and aftermarket slides are everywhere if you decide to change your optic to something other than what your slide is cut for.

ZRTS in Noblesville is who I use for pretty much anything that I cant do myself. Quick turn around, he charges about 150 to cut the slide, I've not found any refinishing of the cut is needed. Solid business too he's helped me out on several occasions with some issues on work guns that needed repaired immediately so they could go back in service.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I had dpcustomworks cut a M&P slide for me. They did a good job. I chose to have them refinish the entire slide in Melonite so it was as close to factory as possible.

Bonus, was all that legal lettering is now gone!

I would have had AllenM do it but at the time he didn't have the tooling to cut that particular slide.

Vimace

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2023
    Indianapolis
    Sale it and get a MOS. Trust me, maths won't lie to you, it will come out cheaper and MORE red dot options with the plates the MOS comes with instead of a cut to a particular footprint

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Sale it and get a MOS. Trust me, maths won't lie to you, it will come out cheaper and MORE red dot options with the plates the MOS comes with instead of a cut to a particular footprint
    Each has their pros and cons. Biggest pro to custom cut is that the red dot will fit better and lower.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I am in your general area and use AllenM. Just had three optic cuts done with one down there now. He does cerakoting in house, as well.

He did these along with the slide work and Cerakote on the two CZs.

8c259d787201bb092636e4b3c34bd94e.jpg
    What's going on with that giant rear sight on the back of the DPP for the DWX is that the Dawson? Are you going to find a corresponding front sight?

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    @AllenM does great work all around - I'd have him do it.

Direct milling is way better if you know the footprint you want. I'd just go rmr as it's the most commonly desired and has some of the best dots available.

Top Bottom