• ...and so much more!
  • indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    An average person will cover 3 miles in one hour of walking on relatively level ground unburdened.

You might cover more distance if you're alone and motivated/physically capable. But if you have to evade obstacles, you're mileage will vary. Heavy pack, hot day, adverse weather, nighttime will also impact how much distance you can cover.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    If I'm taking three days off work it's not going to be spent trying to survive. I'm getting pampered somewhere, preferably near a beach.

You guys in the urban/suburban areas shouldn't need much at all since there's shelter and "stuff" everywhere. Your GHB should be relatively small and only include the basics as far as survival is concerned. Fighting people is what I'm geared up for in the built up areas. That is, after trying to be as inconspicuous as possible.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I am trying to imagine a scenario where something would happen and I wouldn't be able to drive home. Granted I am hardly ever much more than 10-20miles from home at any given time throughout a months time but I feel as if my "get home bag" wouldn't involve any form of walking. More so I'll just be getting my butt home as quickly as possible. Anyone else feeling the same way?

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    About 35 miles from office to home base. I keep a few things in my trunk but nothing for a 35 mile hike. Need to re-think it I guess. I tend to agree with BFISH... My thinking is as long as I can get out of Lafayette I'm good. Sort of like that bad snow day last spring, school automated call to cancel, work closed, pack it up and head out. Car is AWD so no HUMVEE here.

Last edited:

TheHive

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    I am 7 miles from the house so I too only pack a bag with the gun of the week and enough rounds to hold down any issues on my way.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    A little bit of water is ALWAYS a good idea. You can live a week without food. Three days without water, your laying there pushing up daisies.

The Professor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2015
    Evansville
    I've had to completely revamp my GHB due to the new job I have. I travel a 200+ mile loop from Evansville to Vincennes to Loogootee to Jasper and Dale back to Newburgh then down to Henderson. Luckily, the majority of it's rural, so I don't have to try and ninja through any seriously depressed socio-economic areas (and I look more like the Chris Farley-type ninja, so a big guy so white he glows in the dark isn't exactly rating high on the stealth-o-meter).

The nut I have to crack is about 60 miles, as the crow files, over varying terrain.

Because of this, my GHB is more of a task-specific BOB.

The Professor

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've had to completely revamp my GHB due to the new job I have. I travel a 200+ mile loop from Evansville to Vincennes to Loogootee to Jasper and Dale back to Newburgh then down to Henderson. Luckily, the majority of it's rural, so I don't have to try and ninja through any seriously depressed socio-economic areas (and I look more like the Chris Farley-type ninja, so a big guy so white he glows in the dark isn't exactly rating high on the stealth-o-meter).

The nut I have to crack is about 60 miles, as the crow files, over varying terrain.

Because of this, my GHB is more of a task-specific BOB.

The Professor

1. Yeah, you do have about the same skin tone as 96 brightness printer paper. Hey, it's a look, right? If you want, I'll give you tanning lessons.
    2. Given your planning nature, have you mapped places along the way to replenish your water supply?
    3. Are you going modular with your gear to make it easier to adapt to different seasons, or do you repack completely based on the season/weather?

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Me too.

Mine would be a totally different test. If I had to hump it home from the office, its from roughly 30th and Shadeland to Camby. Thats either one hell of an arc to stay away from people, or right through some sketchy parts of town.

Buy a cheap bicycle and stash it at work. It would make the detour MUCH more palatable.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I am trying to imagine a scenario where something would happen and I wouldn't be able to drive home. Granted I am hardly ever much more than 10-20miles from home at any given time throughout a months time but I feel as if my "get home bag" wouldn't involve any form of walking. More so I'll just be getting my butt home as quickly as possible. Anyone else feeling the same way?

There are a number of scenarios which could turn you from a motorist to a pedestrian. Tornado could scrap your parking lot at work; your car might work but you couldn't get out (we actually had this happen to us after Hurricane Alicia in 1983 in Houston. Carport came down around our truck and we couldn't move it.)

Or, an earthquake could do the same thing - block you in so you couldn't leave in your vehicle, or tear up enough local streets that ditto. Same thing could happen in a civil disturbance.

When I worked near Shelbyville, I lived on the NW side of Indy - 37 mi one way. I carried a bike on the back of my car for the duration of that job.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I am 7 miles from the house so I too only pack a bag with the gun of the week and enough rounds to hold down any issues on my way.

If, for some reason, you break/sprain an ankle on the way home, how well will your EDC work to brace your ankle or keep you from going into shock?

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    If, for some reason, you break/sprain an ankle on the way home, how well will your EDC work to brace your ankle or keep you from going into shock?

Good point. One of the things I keep in my BOB/out and about bag is a sam splint and a few rolls of vet rap. It is exceedingly unlikely that we will get EMP'd and it will kill my truck, but not me. It is fairly likely that, while mushroom hunting or gold panning or just hiking (often by myself), I will sprain or otherwise tear up an ankle and it will likely be somewhere I do not want to wait until the cavalry arrives (lots of deep hollars around here with no cell reception). I realize that I can improvise a splint, but having practiced it several times, I think the sami splint is worth the weight/bulk.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Good point. One of the things I keep in my BOB/out and about bag is a sam splint and a few rolls of vet rap. It is exceedingly unlikely that we will get EMP'd and it will kill my truck, but not me. It is fairly likely that, while mushroom hunting or gold panning or just hiking (often by myself), I will sprain or otherwise tear up an ankle and it will likely be somewhere I do not want to wait until the cavalry arrives (lots of deep hollars around here with no cell reception). I realize that I can improvise a splint, but having practiced it several times, I think the sami splint is worth the weight/bulk.

I've known I needed a sam splint or two in my gear for years, but for some reason I haven't followed-through on getting them. Thanks for the reminder!

Big12Inch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    There are a number of scenarios which could turn you from a motorist to a pedestrian. Tornado could scrap your parking lot at work; your car might work but you couldn't get out (we actually had this happen to us after Hurricane Alicia in 1983 in Houston. Carport came down around our truck and we couldn't move it.)

Or, an earthquake could do the same thing - block you in so you couldn't leave in your vehicle, or tear up enough local streets that ditto. Same thing could happen in a civil disturbance.

When I worked near Shelbyville, I lived on the NW side of Indy - 37 mi one way. I carried a bike on the back of my car for the duration of that job.

I hate to say it but if I have to ride a bike there are hundreds on the east side that could be procured if you are in a jam.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County

Was about to post similar thoughts... thanks for saving me the time :)

Blackhawk2001 said:
    When I worked near Shelbyville, I lived on the NW side of Indy - 37 mi one way.I carried a bike on the back of my car for the duration of that job.
    Lex is not at all surprised ;)

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Having a plan will dictate what needs you will have to get home. Walk, bike, drive, all should be planned for. Walking being the last resort, takes the most time, endurance and gear to accomplish. If you are farther away from home than you can walk in a day you have to plan for that. Water, shelter, body fuel, protection, etc.. Biking is a way to save time and effort. Of course driving would be the best choice, it's more than likely how you got to where you are. Issues like car pooling or ride sharing must also be considered.

Knowing your routes, most direct, most discrete, best way to avoid large populations, etc. will also be a big part of your planning. Knowing how to navigate the different routes during the day, at night, in inclement weather will also add to the mix.

Basically if you are unable to walk home carrying the supplies you need then you had better put together cashe's somewhere along your route. Secluded locations where you can bury a stash of supplies. Friends houses where you can crash and store some gear. Other means of putting what you need in the places you can get to so that you can get home.

There are many thoughs on the subject. The most important, have a plan. And a back up for that plan and maybe another back up for your back up... 98% plan... 2% do..

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Knowing your routes, most direct, most discrete, best way to avoid large populations, etc. will also be a big part of your planning. Knowing how to navigate the different routes during the day, at night, in inclement weather will also add to the mix.

Identify your choke points, particularly if driving is part of your plan. Bridges are a funnel that pushes lots of people through a narrow passage that can also be controlled by DHS or whatever other alphabet agency you may fear. Add to that if the SHTF event is the New Madrid earthquake not all the bridges will be passable.

I have a river between work and home. I know where all ten bridges are to cross that river, including a railroad bridge. My wife has an interstate between her work and home so we have identified where all the bridges/underpasses that cross the interstate are, including railroad crossings.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Walking Dead.

You walk out of or through parts of IND and somebody in an emergency situation is going to pop your Cracker Jack noggin and take your GHB. You will look like the raccoon at the side of the road. In a couple of days in the sun, maybe somebody covers you with that windshield shade. Maybe not.

Top Bottom