• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Only thing that seems off to me is the prohibition on handing out food and drink

Its already illegal to campaign near polling places, so they already can't say "here's some water, vote for X" or have a label saying "Water provided by X" on the bottle. The people handing it out can't were a campaign shirt or hat or pin while handing out water. So why the need to go a step further and totally prohibit it? Seems like its intended to discourage waiting in line to vote, which of course would disproportionately affect urban (heavily democratic) areas
    Yeah, and won't they limit the early voting is non-proportional way such that they're guaranteeing the lines will be short in rural areas?

Maybe I'm ignorant, but did Stacey Abrams have a BBQ smoker stationed at polling places with a free slab for each voter? Is it really such a problem that you need a law?

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Only thing that seems off to me is the prohibition on handing out food and drink
    I don't understand the need. Have these people never worked a job where you're not getting breaks and you are lucky to get to eat lunch while standing up and still on the job? If your need for food and drink while voting is so desperate then pack a lunch.

What a bunch of drama queens needing free handouts to accomplish the fairly simple task of voting. Even worse is the lefty elite that look down on their peons as being so stupid and helpless that the peons can't figure out how to bring their own bottle of water if they think they will get thirsty.

defaultdotxbe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2020
    Griffith
    I don't understand the need. Have these people never worked a job where you're not getting breaks and you are lucky to get to eat lunch while standing up and still on the job? If your need for food and drink while voting is so desperate then pack a lunch.

What a bunch of drama queens needing free handouts to accomplish the fairly simple task of voting. Even worse is the lefty elite that look down on their peons as being so stupid and helpless that the peons can't figure out how to bring their own bottle of water if they think they will get thirsty.
    And people should wear long sleeves in winter, doesn't mean we need a law prohibiting the sale of T-shirts in January

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

All good points. My only question is why does there need to be a law about it?

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    All good points. My only question is why does there need to be a law about it?
    Sometimes legislatures make what seem like inane laws because someone abused the previous process. You are not supposed to "electioneer" or whatever it is called with xxx feet of the polls.
    • Is it okay for a campaigner to give me a bottle of water and tell me to vote for Billy Bob?
    • Is it okay for a campaigner to give me a bottle of water and a lobster tail (or steak) and tell me to vote for Billy Bob?
    • Is it okay for that campaigner to give me food and drink outside the polling place?
    • What about inside the polling place?
    • What about inside the voting booth to "help me" make the correct choice (since my fingers are slippery from lobster butter)?

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I volunteer to do taxes for those folks... they're right about some not being able to figure out how to sign up.

Jordan Peterson has a lecture where he explains that about 15% of the population are literally too stupid to be of any use for any purpose, based on a US Army study that concluded with them refusing to take anyone with an IQ lower than (I think) 85. That's where kindness and charity come in, which is awesome, and he also makes the point that civilized society has a responsibility to those people. That's all fair enough.

However... If someone is too stupid to be trusted with washing dishes without becoming a danger to national security, I don't really want them voting either.

Hey there drug addled/mentally ill homeless guys! Want a free meal? Come with me on the bus and vote for X candidate. Line too long to keep you interested? Don't worry, we brought just enough snacks to keep giving you to make sure you don't bail!

I'm in the "I don't see the need" camp here too. I've never been in any line so long that I needed a meal to get to the other side. I think in 2012 I did have to dip out to P and whoever was behind me held my place in line. Seems like an easy enough solution to the "dying of dehydration" problem they must be having in Georgia. Need to get a drink? Go get one and then get back in line where you were. Are we all back in elementary school where we don't know how to handle things like this?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Sometimes legislatures make what seem like inane laws because someone abused the previous process. You are not supposed to "electioneer" or whatever it is called with xxx feet of the polls.
    • Is it okay for a campaigner to give me a bottle of water and tell me to vote for Billy Bob?
    • Is it okay for a campaigner to give me a bottle of water and a lobster tail (or steak) and tell me to vote for Billy Bob?
    • Is it okay for that campaigner to give me food and drink outside the polling place?
    • What about inside the polling place?
    • What about inside the voting booth to "help me" make the correct choice (since my fingers are slippery from lobster butter)?
    So, you're worried that on Saturday I run into a campaigner, they feed me, then on Tuesday, that same campaigner, who's not mentioning names or wearing campaign clothing, hands me a bottle of water, an I make the connection?

It's already illegal to do electioneering at the polls. How the bottle of water change that?

defaultdotxbe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2020
    Griffith
    Hey there drug addled/mentally ill homeless guys! Want a free meal? Come with me on the bus and vote for X candidate. Line too long to keep you interested? Don't worry, we brought just enough snacks to keep giving you to make sure you don't bail!
    Ironically that wouldn't be illegal as the meal and bus ride would be given more than 150 feet from the polling place

But I guess that just means we need a law making it illegal to give anyone a bottle of water anywhere in the state during an election year

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    However... If someone is too stupid to be trusted with washing dishes without becoming a danger to national security, I don't really want them voting either.
    I honestly can't argue with that.

I'm in the "I don't see the need" camp here too. I've never been in any line so long that I needed a meal to get to the other side. I think in 2012 I did have to dip out to P and whoever was behind me held my place in line. Seems like an easy enough solution to the "dying of dehydration" problem they must be having in Georgia. Need to get a drink? Go get one and then get back in line where you were. Are we all back in elementary school where we don't know how to handle things like this?
    This law does nothing to prevent that.

According to the this law, "Hey, before you get off the bus make sure you grab lots of grub! And Red Lobster for everyone after voting." that would not be prohibited as long as it's done far enough away.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Ironically that wouldn't be illegal as the meal and bus ride would be given more than 150 feet from the polling place
    According to the this law, "Hey, before you get off the bus make sure you grab lots of grub! And Red Lobster for everyone after voting." that would not be prohibited as long as it's done far enough away.

The only thing to keep them in the line is that you haven't given them the reward yet. Give it up front, or just promise it later, and you're not getting your votes. Trickle it in slowly as its progressing and you might.

defaultdotxbe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2020
    Griffith
    Sometimes legislatures make what seem like inane laws because someone abused the previous process.
    Isn't this the sort of thing that we always have to fight against as gun owners though? Legislature wants to ban "assault weapons" because someone commits a mass shooting with one. Ban/restrict right to carry because of some tangental connection to violent crime. Universal background checks because somewhere a prohibited person might be able to get a gun.

Electioneering near a polling place is already illegal, so enforce that law instead of making new ones that don't even address electioneering

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    It's cute that you don't think political parties have their own interest at heart.

Are you so blinded that you think Republicans only act on integrity? I fail to believe to one party magically defies human nature.
    In this issue the point is that one party is supporting a system which works lawfully and verifiable. The other is pushing for a system designed to remove every conceivable barrier which inhibits fraud.

I am supporting honest elections and your argument is irrelevant.

SumtnFancy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Ft. Wayne

Its already illegal to campaign near polling places, so they already can't say "here's some water, vote for X" or have a label saying "Water provided by X" on the bottle. The people handing it out can't were a campaign shirt or hat or pin while handing out water. So why the need to go a step further and totally prohibit it? Seems like its intended to discourage waiting in line to vote, which of course would disproportionately affect urban (heavily democratic) areas
    I think it was more about gifts than food and drink, but water happens to fall in the food and drink category. I'm not sure what lead to that being included in the bill, but there was probably an instance of someone giving meals, beer/booze, something. Total conjecture on my part but it's hard to believe that would get added without a reason why. If something is allowed, it's gonna get abused by someone to try and gain an advantage.

Edit: Posted before I read the entire thread, which pretty much discussed this point. I am also not in favor of unnecessary laws. If this was a standalone issue, I would oppose it. But as part of one bigger set of laws being established to prevent fraud, I am not going to cry about something I don't really have the details on. Something needs to be done to address election integrity. Confidence in the system is at historic lows, on both sides, and regardless if you believe there was election fraud or not, there was to some extent. The people who know what happened are now taking steps to stop that from happening in their states. Can't blame them for that. Does not allowing water really disenfranchise someone or are people trying to twist that to drum up opposition? Are people too stupid to figure out how to get an ID? Maybe they shouldn't be deciding the leader of the free world.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    To simplify it all, only citizens can vote and you have to present ID to vote, so get your valid ID and don't lose it because without it you aren't voting.

Have a rally, pass out free bottled water or $100 bills. Run ads on TV and the internet that are complete lies, whatever, that's what politics is.

Making fake IDs or gaming the system so the dead, or dogs, or imaginary people are voting gets you the long drop.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

MLB moving All-Star Game, draft out of Georgia following outcry over voting law​

defaultdotxbe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2020
    Griffith
    If this was a standalone issue, I would oppose it. But as part of one bigger set of laws being established to prevent fraud, I am not going to cry about something I don't really have the details on.
    That's how they always sneak in laws that most people would oppose; via large omnibus bills. The 1994 federal assault weapons ban wasn't passed as a standalone issue either, it was part of a bigger set of laws being established to prevent crime. For more recent examples look at any of the coronavirus stimulus bills, or the pending infrastructure bill

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017