• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am not familiar with the champion line. It could be a re-badged product out of china.
    If you are not going to use that on a construction site and put a butt load of hours on it that should work fine for an around the property unit. SHTF the dual fuel is a great idea.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Does not look like a bad deal at all. Champion seems to be a common big box retailer brand and has good reviews online.
    Aside from the generator get a transfer switch to run a couple of circuits in your home and you should be good to go.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Generators are something that you really, really wish you had when you need them even if you don't use them for years.

jrainw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Morgan county
    Chinese, make sure parts are available, I had to make a set of brushes for one because they were not available. Great price, but at a price.

tonybia

Marksman
    Rating - 88.9%
    7   1   1
    Apr 24, 2013
    I have bought this exact generator. From what I could research I found this brand to be a good performing, good rated mid priced generator. You also have the costco back-up guarantee to supplement the 2 year factory warrantee. Since I live in an area with natural gas, what I did was purchase www.motorsnokel.com for the same generator (gas only version-both carbs are the same where the motorsnorkel attaches) and it now allows me to run my generator on house supplied natural gas. I also retain the propane option which is designed to run off of propane bottles (with included hose and primary regulator- using the supplied switchover on the generator). So I have it currently running on natural gas--runs great!!, have the option of running it on gasoline or bottled propane in even more emergent options. The generator is quieter than I thought it would be but it still is moderately loud. I am currently working on an enclosure to make it more sound friendly and protect it from the weather in its current semi-permanent location. If you have propane at your house I think the generator will run on low pressure propane connected to the input connection on the generator. Just be sure you study up on the flow requirements for the generator ( motor snorkel website has alot of this info) to make sure you plumb the generator with enough gas vapor capacity to run properly. I am happy with how things worked out with my set-up. Real happy with the super easy motorsnorkel installation and set-up as well. Hope this helps you out!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Can anyone tell me how "clean" this generator is?

Not from an exhaust output standpoint - but from an electricity output standpoint? Or perhaps just use a good UPS system if electronics are used?

Thanks,

-J-

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I would say to always use a ups with a portable generator.
    Black Friday of last year I bought a few... one for each tv/stereo, networking gear, cameras, and the fish tank. Think I paid around 30 bucks per ups. Granted they are smaller units but they should do the trick with no issues.

For what it's worth, I'm running a Honeywell generator unit I picked up at a pawn shop.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Chinese, make sure parts are available, I had to make a set of brushes for one because they were not available. Great price, but at a price.

For the most part, of all the Chinese generators, Champion is one that stands behind their product and has pretty decent parts availability. While it isn't a Honda or some other high-end gen-set, Champions do offer a very good "bang for the buck".

tonybia

Marksman
    Rating - 88.9%
    7   1   1
    Apr 24, 2013
    For the most part, of all the Chinese generators, Champion is one that stands behind their product and has pretty decent parts availability. While it isn't a Honda or some other high-end gen-set, Champions do offer a very good "bang for the buck".

Its true it is not a honda although the engine is a honda copy. Here is the link to a manual for the generator. http://www.championpowerequipment.com/pdf/manuals/71530/71530_manual-english.pdf . This generator also produces a clean sine wave so it will work for almost all electronics. However, as mentioned a surge protector might not be a bad idea especially if you are having heavy loads start and stop at random times.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I have bought this exact generator. From what I could research I found this brand to be a good performing, good rated mid priced generator. You also have the costco back-up guarantee to supplement the 2 year factory warrantee. Since I live in an area with natural gas, what I did was purchase www.motorsnokel.com for the same generator (gas only version-both carbs are the same where the motorsnorkel attaches) and it now allows me to run my generator on house supplied natural gas. I also retain the propane option which is designed to run off of propane bottles (with included hose and primary regulator- using the supplied switchover on the generator). So I have it currently running on natural gas--runs great!!, have the option of running it on gasoline or bottled propane in even more emergent options. The generator is quieter than I thought it would be but it still is moderately loud. I am currently working on an enclosure to make it more sound friendly and protect it from the weather in its current semi-permanent location. If you have propane at your house I think the generator will run on low pressure propane connected to the input connection on the generator. Just be sure you study up on the flow requirements for the generator ( motor snorkel website has alot of this info) to make sure you plumb the generator with enough gas vapor capacity to run properly. I am happy with how things worked out with my set-up. Real happy with the super easy motorsnorkel installation and set-up as well. Hope this helps you out!

The Motor Snorkel link is broken. This one will get you there.

Propane and Natural Gas Generator Conversion Kits - Motor Snorkel

Thanks for the post on it, tonybia.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Its true it is not a honda although the engine is a honda copy. Here is the link to a manual for the generator. http://www.championpowerequipment.com/pdf/manuals/71530/71530_manual-english.pdf . This generator also produces a clean sine wave so it will work for almost all electronics. However, as mentioned a surge protector might not be a bad idea especially if you are having heavy loads start and stop at random times.

Glad to hear that about the sine wave / "clean power". May I inquire as to where you learned this?

I'm a n00b when it comes to these things - is it clean because it's an inverter-type generator? Or is there something else?

tonybia

Marksman
    Rating - 88.9%
    7   1   1
    Apr 24, 2013
    Glad to hear that about the sine wave / "clean power". May I inquire as to where you learned this?

I'm a n00b when it comes to these things - is it clean because it's an inverter-type generator? Or is there something else?
    It's not an inverter generator but produces a true sine wave as opposed to a modified or stepped sine wave as some other generators do. Basically it's identical to house power in its sine wave form. That makes it clean and compatible with electronics. Manufacturer states the type of wave it produces.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Anyone have an opinion on the Generac generators? I know they are a big name in generators and power switches for generators, but have no idea how their generators stack up.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Anyone have an opinion on the Generac generators? I know they are a big name in generators and power switches for generators, but have no idea how their generators stack up.

They're not the 2000lb gorilla in the business for nothin', Clay...

-J-

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I know that, but are their GP generators worth a darn? I need a new generator and Menards has the GP6500 generators on sale for $700 ($100 off). I can't find any info on who makes the engine, or the actual generator. I was just curious even though they get good reviews online. ;)

Top Bottom