• Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    This is sage advice.
    I worked at Schwab safe.
    I built my safe from scratch. It has a Sargent & Greenleaf mechanical lock.
    It is more than 30 years old and has never been serviced, lubed... Nothing.
    I have another safe with an electronic lock, but the safe has a back up key in case of failure of the electronic lock. I keep the back up key in the safe with the mechanical lock.
    As far as interior materials to avoid, heed @snorko's advice.

Lol, I have always wondered how you knew so much about safes. Schwab would explain it, lol.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I just purchased a used high end safe. I am in the process of adapting the interior to better suit my needs. I have never owned a safe before and have a few questions for the more experienced members.

Should I avoid any materials due to their fire resistance? (Would carpet be a bad idea? Should I avoid specific adhesives? Etc.)

Are there any materials that would tend to corrode things inside? (Adhesives, backing, etc)

I have been told if the mechanical lock were to fail, the safe would need to be destroyed to access it. I have a mechanical lock, Should I go with electric? I would think mechanical lock is more reliable. Am I wrong? Can a locksmith access a safe with a failed mechanical lock?

Should the door seal be replaced? Safe is approximately 33 years old.

Do you maintenence (grease) your mechanisms/lock?

Fyi. It is a national security safe with a sargent and greenleaf mechanical lock. I could not afford to replace with this quality level if it were to fail. Any other advice?

Thank You!

I have Johnsons and they are both carpeted no issues. Both are mechanical, I distrust electronic, but that's me.

I think I sprayed G96 about 10 years ago on the big one, no issues.

The only advice I have is that if it is in basement, get it off the floor. I built daises/stands/platforms for mine. Nothing fancy, wooden box 4" high, carpeted.

Bstarkey_46947

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2021
    Indiana
    Johnson Safe in my basement will stay with the house. Had to hire Johnson to move it 2x. No issue with carpet and plywood on the inside. FIL had HD jack legs built for it (solid steel with a jack bolt) to elevate it off the wheels. Never lubed the mechanical lock and it has been in the family going on 25 yrs.

Top Bottom