• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Brig. General John Adams calls for some serious cuts to defence spending. He makes a compelling argument that the current behemoth is ill suited to the 21st century and actual national defence. It's nice to see military brass calling for cuts in a major player in US fiscal policy. Every dime counts and everyone's got to take their belt in a few notches. Especially, the military/industrial complex.

Let's seize the opportunity to take control of defense spending - The Hill's Congress Blog

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Who else is tightening their belts exactly? DoD is about the only chunk of government the left ever talks about cutting. Since the federal [STRIKE]budget[/STRIKE]* grew another 8% this year, I'm wondering who is getting less?

* Sorry, that is spending. We don't have federal budgets any more.

Last edited:

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Who else is tightening their belts exactly? DoD is about the only chunk of government the left ever talks about cutting. Since the federal [STRIKE]budget[/STRIKE]* grew another 8% this year, I'm wondering who is getting less?

* Sorry, that is spending. We don't have federal budgets any more.

This is the problem. Both sides have their pet projects and neither one wants to cut them so they all grow.

No cow is sacred. Even if we slash and burn the lefties pet projects, we still cannot afford our current military expenditures. Likewise even if we slash and burn the DOD budget, we can't afford the others.

They ALL need serious cuts, if not dismantling entirely.

Step one is get the military back home where it belongs. Put some one the border, retrain many of the rest to start rebuilding bridges and roads.

Recruit less and let the ranks slowly thin themselves from normal attrition.

Boom! We just solved several problems at once and not a single service member is drummed out prematurely.

Unfortunately, common sense is lacking.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I see you just repeated exactly what I said was the problem. You proposed a concrete way to cut the military. And then what?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    "Programs" like welfare could be cut, if not completely (not sure what the rules are to be on welfare) but make a timetable to be on welfare. NO illegal "citizen" should be getting welfare checks, and people on welfare should have to prove they are at least trying to find a job.

Cutting alot of money that we send to other countries IE: Pakistan if not totally, then by a sizeable number would help.

The war on drugs can go, theres 20 billion+ dollars back into our pockets (estimated 15billion+ spent in 2010) so to speak

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    My first reaction before I read the article was "Here's a general bucking to be the next Chairman of the Joint Chiefs." That he's retired means he's looking for a job with some major contractor somewhere; or perhaps looking to get a nice GS job to supplement his retirement.

I don't fault his conclusions, but I do fault his logic; especially when he talks about "cooperating with Russia." He ought to know that the Russians never stick to any agreement that hinders them in any way. Planning military strategy based on any promises the Russians (or the Chinese) make is blind folly. In order to properly plan for the "21st Century military," we need to have a clear-correct vision of our potential threats - which we don't have in this era of politically-correct wishful thinking.

I have no particular issue with cutting military spending to reasonable levels, but, since the major purpose of the federal government is to protect the nation, I'd say to the rest of the federal bureaucracy, "You first!"

Top Bottom