• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    There always seems to be posts around the forums about what you can carry on flights to protect yourself from terrorists. Although discussion on this topic is interesting since it leads to tools that you can carry in other non-permissive environments, the truth is that you are discussing means that you are of the mindset to use whatever you can get your hands on anyway. The more I fly the more I think about other threats.

For lack of a better example every time I leave the house I think about the old video game Frogger. Remember how he would try to get from place to place without getting killed? That is how I view the world, full of threats that if you don’t pay attention you are likely not to return home. As we have seen recently many more planes crash than are taken over by terrorists. Keeping with my mindset that no matter how many rounds I suck up gunfight I would keep going, I also have the mindset that even if I am on a plane that crashes I will survive. Just as it is with a shooting that means total survival, not just surviving the actual incident.

Now that I fly more and more it kills me when I see people travelers wearing flip-flops or even slip on shoes. Of course they will tell you that the reason is because of all the energy it takes to take your shoes on and off for security. I think of how often I manage to stub my toe or step on something in my own house and imagine kicking my toe into hard on an aircraft as I am trying to get off because it is in fire.

Whenever I fly I get a little OCD about getting all of the prohibited items out of my bag. One of the things that I always leave in my bag is a good pair of gloves. If the plane does crash there is a pretty good chance there will be hot, wet, or sharp surfaces.

Something else that I add to my bag when flying are ESS Striker Turbofan goggles. For those not familiar these goggles have fan that keeps the lens clear. The best part is that they fit over my prescription glasses. By wearing decent shoes and having these two other items in bay will allow met to protect my feet, hands and eyes. This protection is critical in any survival situations.

Adding a first aid kit to your bag should go a long way in giving you some piece of mind. For anyone who thinks that surviving a plane crash is far fetched…I say no more so that picturing yourself taking out hi-jackers with a Surefire. After all, it just comes down to mindset.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    well said, George, and timely. i'm planning a trip to the UK and have been pondering just this. hadn't thought of the gogs, but the gloves and firstaid kit are already on the list.

thanks.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Dude, you crack me up. I am the same way. I worry more about rapid egress from an aircraft 1st, badguys on the aircraft second, and BGs on the ground 3rd. I wear light 8" tac boots when I fly, carry goggles, dust mask and nomex gloves on my carry on , along with a surefire in my pocket, and yes, I wear a Wilderness instructor's belt and allllll the hassles that go along with having to take it off and put it back on. sigh. After I find my seat I make a 'sap" out of a tightly folded and rolled newspaper, and stick it in the pocket in front of me.

Soon after I leave the terminal I have a pistol, spare mag, blade and OC on me, regardless of my destination.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    That is why I have the Wilderness Belt with the titanium buckle. I don't have to take it off for security and it seems to irk the TSA Admirals.

Skoty

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Now that I fly more and more it kills me when I see people travelers wearing flip-flops or even slip on shoes.

I am guilty of that, mainly due to the fact that with the way I look (pierced and tattooed) I walk through the detecters with visible metal in my ears (316LVM Stainless Steel) it won't trigger the alarm. So I ALWAYS get pulled to the side for a "random screening". I dont wear flip-flops for ease of taking them off though. I wear them due to a size 13 shoe doesnt fit well behind a regular seat. But I will say almost every jet I have flown on from small puddle hoppers up to intercontinental 747 I have always stubbed my toe on the seat bracket when walking down the isle.

But I do fly with gloves, first aid kit, shoes, compass, sunglasses which are projectile proof, flint, steel wool, 1 litre water bottle and iodine tablets all in my carry on. Some say I am paranoid, but as I learned in scouts. Be Prepared! :yesway:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Gear for when I fly includes a small pack with:

Ruger Bearcat w/50 rounds
    first aid kit
    space blankets
    food & water for 1 night
    tarp, good for making shelter
    knife

Weight is at a premium, so that's about it.

Used to be I'd also have my Ruger SP101 .357 Magnum with me, but I don't have it anymore. Until I find another handy revolver to take it's place, we'll just have to make do with the Bearcat and my wife's .45 to fend off hungry critters, provide food if needed, and serve as noisy signalling devise.

As far as clothing, I do not permit flip flops or sandals, or synthetic clothing. Cotton only. Have you ever seen how nicely synthetic clothes melt into skin in a fire?

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    you're a pilot, right? i haven't flown with weapons since the late 70's. checked in luggage, yes, onboard? no.

Gear for when I fly includes a small pack with:

Ruger Bearcat w/50 rounds
    first aid kit
    space blankets
    food & water for 1 night
    tarp, good for making shelter
    knife

Weight is at a premium, so that's about it.

Used to be I'd also have my Ruger SP101 .357 Magnum with me, but I don't have it anymore. Until I find another handy revolver to take it's place, we'll just have to make do with the Bearcat and my wife's .45 to fend off hungry critters, provide food if needed, and serve as noisy signalling devise.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    you're a pilot, right? i haven't flown with weapons since the late 70's. checked in luggage, yes, onboard? no.

I am a private pilot, pack goes in the back seat next to my son.

I've refused to fly airlines since getting out of the service.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    I was gonna mention not to wear nylon. All those pretty ladies wearing panyhose;(

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    I travel with a cane when I fly. My knees need help when I travel with all that extra weight. I also carry my flashlight in a holster, a roll of quarters and a crimped aircraft cable that is the security cable for the laptop.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    SOG Fusion Tactical Tomahawk.
    5007102.jpg

Top Bottom