• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tobi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    it helps if you keep the gas out of the carb when you are storing the generator. Put a shut off valve in the fuel line (if there isn't one), shut it off when you are not going to use the unit for a long period of time, and run the fuel out of the carb. This will reduce the tendency of the gas to damage the seals in the carb.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I believe a person with a generator should have a way to rotate gas they have in storage for their generator, as even pure gas can pick up water but it definitely degrades over time.

As far as ethanol in small engines. I was at a loss as to why my John Deere lawn tractor was running so badly, then eventually wouldn't start at all, until I put fresh gas in it.

I am told that BP doesn't have ethanol in their gas.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    "I am told that BP doesn't have ethanol in their gas."

I am pretty sure if it has ethanol thay have to have a label on the pump. It has been a long time since I saw a pump that didn't say "contains 10% ethanol" somewhere on it.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Co-op in Noblesville and Lebanon both have 91+ ethanol free octane, Noblesville location is 24hr pay at pump, I have a tank from them and get it 300 gallon at a time, good stuff!

052.5GT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Columbus
    Just got back from Michigan and several of the stations have 90 rec fuel, this is ethanol free. Try searching for recreation fuel.

Turf Doctor

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    Brownsburg
    What gasoline brand(s) doesn't contain ethanol. I want to buy pure gas for my new generator if possible.

I do lawn care and the mower shop where I get service, Henthorn Mower & Engine on Lafayette Road 317-634-5678, has pure gas in the quart can. It is supposed to last 2 years.

Maybe give them a call to inquire.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    "I am told that BP doesn't have ethanol in their gas."

I am pretty sure if it has ethanol thay have to have a label on the pump. It has been a long time since I saw a pump that didn't say "contains 10% ethanol" somewhere on it.

A couple years ago the state eliminated the pump labeling requirement. When that happened almost eveyone switched to 10% ethanol in order to stay competitive.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have not purchased AV gas in a long time, but since it does'nt have road tax, they were funny about selling it without pumping it into a plane. I was using it in a motorcycle. The Lansing airport would pump it in a can if I told them the N number of our plane.

Last edited:

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Thanks for the oil burner tip but when I put that in my generator it makes lots of smoke and the motor runs real funny and then quits altogether.

ironman870

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    NE
    I got this app for my iphone called "pure gas." it shows a list of stations that have fuel with no ethenol. A quick google search may help too. They are few and far between and normally only exist in high octanes, but they are out there. Ag plus 1105 production rd fort wayne in has 91 octane. The Rome city marathon (395 kelly st, rome city) has 87 octane thats ethanol free. thats the only 87 octane i know of.

Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I got this app for my iphone called "pure gas." it shows a list of stations that have fuel with no ethenol. A quick google search may help too. They are few and far between and normally only exist in high octanes, but they are out there. Ag plus 1105 production rd fort wayne in has 91 octane. The Rome city marathon (395 kelly st, rome city) has 87 octane thats ethanol free. thats the only 87 octane i know of.

http://pure-gas.org - Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

Top Bottom